VOIP Compatible Fax Machines

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Anyone doing this? If so, I'd be interested in what hardware your using and any special settings. I have Vonage at home. I spoke with their tech support this morning and was told to purchase a VOIP compatible machine. Know of any? :)

Years ago I had fax software that worked over my Mac and a tradional phone line. I'm wondering if software exists today that would work over VOIP?

Thanks!

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I use Ooma VOIP and it works with my Brother 7440N all in one fax machine. I was able to send a fax (at least I think it sent). :confused: I wouldn't waste money on fax hardware unless it comes with some 78 rpm records and a buggy whip. :rolleyes: There are online fax services that forward fax to email and allow you to send email to send a fax.

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Hello Fax is one that I am currently using. I would just prefer to send my faxes without a sending fee. I have to believe they are working on VOIP ready fax machines, no?

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Interesting, at least to me... I called Vonage and asked about VOIP faxing. They said no problem just make sure your fax machine is VOIP compatible. Sounded easy. Then I went to Best Buy and asked them which one of your fax machines is VOIP compatible?

Long silence....

Duh...

"We don't know."

So it's not going to be so easy. What I mostly want to avoid is a situation where I buy a fax machine and then try to make it work over VOIP. I'd like to know in advance if it will work or not. I guess the next step is to talk to a manufacturer like HP and see if their tech support can shed some light on the issue.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I think the issue is that VOIP doesn't exactly have a standard. Phones had a standard. It was all digital packet switched starting way back in the 1970's with ESS but there were standards as to what the cutoff frequencies were. Modern VOIP can be all over the map. I would imagine something dirt cheap like Magic Jack would have pretty low audio performance while my $250 Ooma box has excellent sound quality. Vonage sits somewhere in between but closer to Magic Jack.

I doubt if there really is any way to buy a VOIP compatible fax machine and have it still talk to the other millions of fax machines that use the standard frequency spectrum to send faxes. In the end, what you're looking for is a Fax compatible VOIP service not a VOIP compatible fax machine since there is no VOIP standard but there is a well understood standard for fax encoding over a telephone line.

I found documentation somewhere on Ooma's site or in the manual that talked about how to hook up a fax machine, hence I assume it's compatible. If you buy a VOIP appliance that comes in shrink wrap and it says nothing on the package, in the package or online about faxing then you can bet it is not compatible because if it was they would brag about it.

6. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for your insight. I found the following under the Vonage FAQ

See Question No.8

7. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo