VOLTAGE and POWER

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by flpc, Jul 15, 2009.

1. flpc macrumors newbie

hello. i bought a speaker to my macbook. but first i have to turn it on. in the country i reside we use 220v, but this speaker is 110v. the power of my equipment is 135w. so all i have to do is to buy an adapter 110v-220v with more than 135w power?

2. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Does the speaker have an external PSU?

If so you need a 135 watt 240v AC to (voltage of speaker)v DC converter.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If the speakers are 110v, 220v will destroy them.

You need a transformer, something that will convert 220 to 110, not an adapter.

4. flpc thread starter macrumors newbie

alright, sorry about the adapter. the name is transformer. the question is: what power?

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I'm not sure what exactly you have.

Let's say you bought this speaker, and it comes with a little transformer that transforms 115Volt to 9Volt or whatever the speaker needs. In that case, do _not_ plug in that transformer under any circumstances, but buy a 230Volt to 9Volt transformer instead. Most likely the old transformer has printed either Watts or Amperes on it, so buy one with the same or higher rating.

If your speakers come with a cable that is supposed to be plugged into a 115 Volt wall plug, then I suggest you buy new speakers. You can buy 230 Volt to 115 Volt transformers, but new speakers will be cheaper, look better, and be safer.

6. akutad macrumors regular

akutad

You need a step up transformer. As far as the power I would get a 220V/135 watt adapter/transformer with minimum of a 2 amp draw. Hope this helps.

volts x amps = watts. This is what's called watts law. If you change any of the variables like what you have done than the whole equation changes.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The OP needs a step-down transformer. He needs to step the voltage down from his 220 V wall outlet to his 110 V speaker.

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You would be better off buying speakers in your own country instead of the US because transformers are expensive.