Carrier VoLTE - Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lrsone, Nov 16, 2014.

1. lrsone macrumors 6502

Okay so I recently got interested in the whole VoLTE thing with my iPhone 6. I'm new to this so take it easy on me. I was curious as to how it works, I understand that it uses LTE to enhance call quality. But does it use up data and if so is it a significant amount of data? Another question is would you be able to talk on VoLTE and say send and email or browse the web, like on GSM networks?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes you can do talk and use data now with an iPhone on Verizon.
    And no it doesn't use any of your carrier plan data when it makes calls over LTE.

3. lrsone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick response man.

4. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Also note: you have to turn on Voice+Data for LTE in the Settings->Cellular section and if you roam into a 3G area while on a call using LTE, the call will drop.

5. lrsone thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I know how to enable it. I just wanted to make sure before I actually turned it on. But I did not know that the call would drop if you roamed into a 3G area. Thanks for that.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yes, sadly, there is no indsustry-stnadard way for calls to fall back gracefully from LTE toa CDMA network like Verizon. Different story on GSM networks, though apparently AT&T doesn't have their act together on that yet.

7. lrsone thread starter macrumors 6502

Surprised they haven't found a way to allow that yet.

8. ineel macrumors regular

LTE is based on GSM technology so it allows fallback to UMTS/GSM voice.

9. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

This. If you do Video calling it uses data however, but for regular VoLTE voice calls it does not use your data plan.

As for dropping the call in 3G areas....thats only if the LTE signal gets really really bad..but I mean I've made calls on practically no signal with LTE...been using VoLTE since I got my 6. Call quality is great and so is being able to use data and talk at the same time.

10. itkindaworks macrumors newbie

Any chance of the volte feature being worked into using wifi signals for calls in low/no cell signal areas? There are quite a few places that would be extremely useful.

11. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

It is worth noting that VoLTE usually carries a weaker signal. Meaning, unless you are in an area with cell towers in your backyard, you will usually get a poorer signal then with the 1xRTT ("O" or EDGE network if your prefer) that the calls use to go through.

I compared my dad's iPhone 5s (just got used) and my 6 Plus. I put both of them into field test mode and made it so I can see the actual signal numbers rather then the bars/dots (which can be horribly incorrect). Signal strength in measured in negative numbers. So if you get two readings, -97 and -102 the higher number (-97 in this case) is the better signal.

On his iPhone, while making a call with 1xRTT, it scored a -94. My phone, also placing call right next to his phone but on VoLTE got -114. Now, -110 is considered a poor signal. -120/-130 and above, well, is horrible. However, as soon as his phone hung up and was measuring the LTE strength and not the 1xRTT signal, it scored a similar -109. (Mind you, both phones were on iOS 8.1.1, both on a table and not in a hand, and with no case on).

This could also be the fact that VoLTE is still in its early days, true, but at this point in time you have to weigh the pros and cons. For me, the pros outweigh the cons but for some it might be the reverse. It is nice though that it doesn't count towards your data and instead your minutes. The first thing I thought while watching the keynote was "Crap, thats gonna use data".

12. CEmajr macrumors 601

That's already the case for T-Mobile with VoLTE calls being able to seamlessly transfer off to Wi-Fi Calls and vice versa. AT&T has VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling coming soon so I assume it will be the same with them.

Verizon hasn't announced any plans for allowing Wi-Fi calls that I'm aware of.

13. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Actually the way GSM/CDMA/WCDMA and LTE signal strength are measured is slightly different...the LTE signal strength is measured in a different unit than CDMA so its always going to show a difference of at least 10-13....so if you subtract/add 10-13 you will get the true signal strenght of the LTE signal to compare to CDMA or WCDMA signal strength....I only learned this about a month ago, its weird.

----------

sometime in 2015. They announced it a little bit after the iPhone 6 I believe.

14. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Really? Well that is stupid. I would think by now they would have a better way to measure the strength. Ehh, whatever as long as it works. I still find the numbers more accurate then the damn dots or bars.

15. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Yep, Verizon said they will enable wifi calling in 2015 but it wasn't the highest priority for them because they worked to build out a network so strong that one wouldn't need to rely on wifi for service (taking a dig at T-Mobile on that one).

16. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Yeah it explained allot for me....I mean on CDMA/WCDMA a -107 signal is complete crap but my iPhone would always show that on LTE at my house and the signal was perfectly usable (17mbps downlink, 8mbps uplink on average). So I looked it up. It has to do with the difference between RSSI which I believe is used for GSM/CDMA/WCDMA and LTE uses something else instead of RSSI to measure....I'll have to dig the article up that explained it better but yeah.

Yeah they sort of snuck in that little dig along with the announcement....the way they announced it was like it wasn't a big deal either...

17. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

VZW is bringing WiFi calling next year... around the same time as AT&T. However, both carriers did make it clear that their networks are good enough to suffice without it (which is true), but it is still a perk... I guess?

18. itkindaworks macrumors newbie

Good to know, thanks. The Verizon network is good but of course there are deadspots(or low signal), in my house for example. So the ability to use VoLTE with wifi is a definite perk for me.

19. wxman2003 Suspended

Right now, VoLTE is hit or miss. I turned it off. Will be glad when Verizon allows wifi calling. BTW, VoLTE and wifi calling are completely separate. Wifi calling is nothing more than VOIP.

20. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Not true in NYC. My company has a large chunk of the in building micro cell contracts. Building elevation and building penetration are still huge issues in NYC.

21. lrsone thread starter macrumors 6502

I feel your pain, I'm also in NYC and sometimes get very spotty service. WiFi calling would be great cause when I'm home my service isn't as great. They "renovated" the building I live in but in reality they just doubled up the walls and that's affected my cell signal greatly. I even had to upgrade my wireless router and set it up at a decent spot to reach certain rooms.

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Thanks for the education. Didn't know that before.

Well, it's a "perk" for everyone, as its a desired feature from consumers that can translate into more reliable indoor calling, but it's also beneficial for carriers since it could potentially relieve some network congestion.

23. campyguy macrumors 68040

A couple of tips with this, tho' some might not apply. HD Voice is compatible with newer SIM cards; I have an older micro SIM that I've been using in an iPad 3 that I cut down to use in an iP6 - the SIM isn't compatible with HD Voice/Advanced Calling 1.0. I own a small company that isn't corporate liable (need about 50+ lines or so for that I've been told) but do have a custom My Verizon portal, and have a personal My Verizon portal for my own use - HD Voice/Advanced Calling 1.0 has to be enabled in that portal before activating the feature setting in the handset, and sometimes the switch takes a while to be visible in the handset. Of course, some features aren't compatible, like Caller/Company ID. Last bit, I used to think "this is a great step forward!" but have found that it's not a big deal IMHO as HD Voice works only with other compatible VZW handsets and (now) with compatible ATTWS handsets that have HD Voice enabled now that ATTWS has enabled cross-carrier HD Voice. I hope this clears things up a bit with this...

Not really a rant and related to this, what's eating at me with VZW is why (??!?!) do VZW calls sound muffled, as others have posted for years - VZW's Advanced Calling hasn't helped this much IMHO. I recently added a couple of ATTWS lines and the call quality is so much better now that the Blue Death Star has it sorted. No, it's not that so much - it's this: I tried out Cricket first, now have ATTWS - I swap two SIMs between two identical unlocked VZW iPhone 6 handsets, and the iP6 with the ATT/Cricket SIM sounds great and the VZW handset sounds muffled - using the Phone app AND in Skype/Skype for Business AND in my custom VOIP app, on both ends of the call. Swap the SIMs, and the muffled behavior gets swapped too. I have a Plantronics Edge UC that's paired with both iPhones, and the sound quality is great with the ATT SIM and muffled with the VZW SIM. I've pored over at HoFo and Android Central and I'm not the only one with this gripe - and VoLTE really hasn't made this much better. (I'm with DirecTV at one of my locations and I'll be all over UL data on my new ATTWS lines this week too!)

24. HEK Suspended

HEK

Why are people answering 14 month old threads? Just wondering if the people from a year ago are still on here looking for answers.

25. I7guy macrumors G5

Nov 2014 is only two months. :p