volume button and lock/sleep button broke off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nawghtyhare, Sep 25, 2011.

1. nawghtyhare macrumors newbie

volume button and lock/sleep button broke off. I have a 3gs ive had it since 09. i have no apple care. My contract been up my phone still works fine i just stick my nail in to sleep or turn up the volume. I plan to upgrade to the new iphone next month or whenever it releases and then have at&t unlock my 3gs for me. My question is how much is it for apple to replace both buttons, that way whoever i give my old phone to can have working buttons. I called a apple store but they said they cant quote it on the phone and for me to come in but thats just stupid to come in and inquire about 2 buttons when i could be told over the phone and decide if its worth the trouble then. Anybody know how much it costs?

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

Unless someone here has had them replaced before on that model then no one here is going to be able to answer that question. It's not stupid for them to ask you to come into the store and get am assessment. That is why they have Genius bars in Apple stores. Besides each individual case is different. Without seeing and examining your phone they can't give you a proper and accurate quote.

Also bear in mind it's out of warranty and technically they would ask you to book it in and pay an upfront cost to assess the repair. That payment then goes towards the actual repair if you choose to go ahead with it. Of course in the case of a couple of buttons this is highly unlikely but you still need to make an appointment at the genius bar.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

They don't replace individual parts on the iPhone - they just give you a difference device. The cost for a replacement device is $199.

4. nawghtyhare thread starter macrumors newbie

5. spikefood macrumors regular

ATT will not unlock your phone.

6. nawghtyhare thread starter macrumors newbie

any ideas on how to unlock it AFTER i upgrade to the 4s or 5
    AND will apple still replace the phone EVEN though i plan to go to them after i upgrade so the phone wont be on ANY network.......will At&t still give me a phone for the $199 replacement?

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Yes, APPLE, not AT&T will still give you a $199 replacement as long as they have your size and color in stock. It'll be refurbished, but it should be fine. Neither Apple or AT&T will unlock your iPhone for you. At this point the only way to Unlock your 3GS is to install the iPad baseband, which has its own risks involved.