Volume Issues w/ iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tmthydunne, Jun 30, 2010.

1. tmthydunne macrumors newbie

Has anyone else noticed that the volume on the iPhone 4 is much lower? I can have the volume up all the way and it is still nowhere as loud as it was on my 3Gs.

settings are:
    Sound Check: OFF
    EQ: Loudness
    Volume Limit: OFF

This is extremely frustrating as I prefer to have my music LOUD.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Yes. My 3GS was louder.

3. gringo0505 macrumors newbie

I noticed that, too. The clicking noise when texting seems to be a lot quieter.

4. King Luis macrumors 6502

is it through your headphones or speakerphone?

i noticed lately my headphone have gotten really weak.

5. tmthydunne thread starter macrumors newbie

through my headphones.
    this is actually killing me. i was watching something on the bus this morning and i could barely hear the dialog.

FYI - i am using the Apple In-Ear Headphones that, IMO, have been amazingly loud and have always sounded great.

6. droisman macrumors newbie

iphone volume

I have noticed the decreased volume also. A funny thing though, when I get an alert that I have a email the volume jumps up quite a bit. I'm sure it's a software issue.

7. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Sometimes, I have to flip the "mute" button on the side of the phone in order to get normal volume on my phone. For some reason, the overall volume will drop to an almost inaudible level when typing, locking the phone, etc. But toggling the switch always fixes it. There seem to be quite a few things that need fixing in 4.0.1.

8. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Once they finaly do though, it'll be sweet though! Volume being so low is one thing that's been aggravating me aswell.

9. pprshell macrumors member

pprshell

I can always hear a text message tone, but when I receive a phone call, I can't hear that at all.

10. dunk50 macrumors member

I am 63 years old and really half deaf! I am coming from a 3g. The first thing noticed about mine was how loud it was. Sincerely, I have to turn the volume down. I'm lovin it and NO I am not a FANATIC. It's the same with my Shure in ear phones. On 3g I had it all the way up, with 4 it's set at about 2/3 volume. But yes, I do have some of the other problems being discussed!:rolleyes:

11. sjw macrumors regular

Yes, I've noticed this too, and posted about it somewhere else.

Volume while listening to headphones is decidedly lower AND the speaker output is lower too - this is compared to my 3G.

I hope it's a software issue that they can fix...

12. soulghost macrumors regular

soulghost

Could be something to do with OS4.0.
    3GS users have noticed a drop in volume since updating from 3.1.3.

13. Aadhil macrumors regular

Maybe you're finally losing your hearing after having your music too loud with your old phone :D

14. gregrose macrumors 6502

Turn off the Loudness EQ, I tested it on my phone. When I turned on any EQ the volume got much lower, with it off there is a slight volume increase. I agree the issue needs to be addressed too.

15. tmthydunne thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you.
    definitely boots the volume. you lose a bit of the low end but the volume is there.

i guess this can be added to the "Issue List."

16. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

My volume in speaker and headphones is comparable to my 3G. Also when using audio through bluetooth in my car it is fine as well as long as I raise the volume on the phone, as low volume on the phone means low volume playback. My issue is when using my doc connector accessory playing audio through a line input. It is extremely low in these circumstances. I could be the Kensington cable I'm using not being compatible so I'm not convinced it is the phone yet.

17. drtimo macrumors member

That's bad for your hearing.

18. headcheese macrumors regular

I am seriously experiencing the exact OPPOSITE...both my speakerphone volume and iPod volume are SUPER LOUD!

There are so many differences in flaws and stuff with all of these that I think the QC must have just been awful.

After the build quality I experienced with my 3g (Had to get 5 different phones before I got one that was "acceptable") I am super pleased that I have a phone that exhibits NONE of the problems that everyone else has :eek:

Hope you all get another that is as good as mine or a software fix helps your woes!! :apple:

19. Darkshadow macrumors newbie

Can't hear a thing on handset mode

I've been experiencing the same issue - incoming calls on the handset mode are inaudible so have been forced to use speaker to hear the caller. Cannot believe the most basic feature of a smartphone can be so easily overlooked. Very disappointed.....

20. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

The volume is lower by about 25%. I output to my car from the USB port. With 3.1.3 3GS I set the volume to "30" to get a desired level at highway speed. With my iP4 the volume needs to be set at 37+ to achieve the same level.

I'll need to boot up my 3GS when I get home and see what its equalizer is set to, if anything. Hopefully there's a fix to this with the next big firmware update.

21. bonesquad macrumors newbie

What I've noticed is if I skip forward/back a track the volume suddenly drops significantly. However, if I pause/unpause or move the scrubber a bit, the volume jumps right back up.

Anyone seen this issue? (Yes, the EQ is off, sound check is off, and even the sound limiter is off.)

22. vitog123 macrumors 6502

has anyone noticed that while making a call with the speaker phone the 1st ring is much louder than the 2nd and remaining rings? i sure wish the volume would stay at that max level.

23. TBONE72 macrumors regular

Yeah, it's definitely a software issue. iLounge.com covered this in their review of either iPhone or iOS4. Turning of any EQ settings will put the volume back to where it should be. I hope Apple changes this in the next software update as I don't like it.

24. bigchief macrumors 6502a

25. iphone4problems macrumors newbie

No Volume On Handset Mode!

I'm having the exact same problem!! Have you (or anyone) found a way to fix it? :mad: