Volunteer work and companies that support it

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Smileyboy, May 15, 2012.

1. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

My wife and I are planning on being a volunteers for six months to year. I've been very surprised with how many Companies do not support this kind of endeavor. What I mean by that is that I currently have AT&T as a cell phone carrier, direcTV as a cable subscriber, netflix and 24 hr fitness. Out of all of these, 24hr fitness was the only one willing to help out. Anyone have any tips or know if any companies that support, volunteers? Thx.

2. 184550 Guest

You might get more responses if you were to go into detail about the type of volunteer work you two are doing.

When I read 'volunteer' I think of either serving-food-at-the-homeless-shelter volunteer type work or moving-to-Africa volunteer type work.

3. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Top accounting firms support volunteering, but you usually have to be employed by them to participate in their events

4. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

Not sure what you have in mind here. Red Cross is an organization which bases a major part of its activities on volunteer work.
    Or are you looking for something like unpaid internship?

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Try volunteering at the local hospital.
    You would get a spot quickly because they need more volunteers during the day time.

Although it seems mostly that students are volunteering there, they are at school during the day so the hospital is always looking for people during the day!

6. SMisME macrumors newbie

I agree it depends on what kind of volunteer work you are doing. If you are leaving the country or staying locally, that might affect a companies decision. I would call and talk to a manager and explain the situation as to why you won't be using their service for a set period of time. You might get better results.

Good luck!