Vomit on Early 2011 MacBook Pro 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by User5289, Jul 22, 2013.

1. User5289 macrumors newbie

In a series of unfortunate events, my early 2011 13" MacBook Pro got some vomit "splash back" on it. Although it had dried by the time I found it, it appears that only a few isolated areas on the keyboard got some drips. I quickly and easily wiped off the keyboard with tissues and water, and for three days, the computer has been working flawlessly. This morning I noticed that it still smells a little, so I began to google the best way to clean under the keys. There I learned about the corrosion problem that often results from spills on laptops. I read that although the computer my function fine for months after a spill, it will eventually die due to corrosion. With that being said, is corrosion really something to worry about given the relatively small amount of vomit that got on it. I still have 2 years left on my AppleCare, so I would prefer to not void the warranty. Is it worth me individually prying up each key and cleaning the contacts for each? Should I go to ifixit and completely open it up? I am pretty computer-savy and have opened up many windows computers. However, I am sure apple will be able to tell I was in there, and I could very easily screw something else up. I know there is no easy answer here, but I would appreciate any. Advice. Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

Corrosion might not be the only problem, as vomit contains acid, which could damage your Mac further, depending on where it actually landed.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

At this point, you have already voided your warranty (spilled liquid), so I wouldn't worry about leaving traces when you open it up. Apple might even deny service if they detect the smell.

4. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Have to admit your thread title surprised me since did not expect a title like that here, but feel sorry about your mac!

I would focus on cleaning it and removing the smell so that you can use it not so much on the warranty status. For smells baking soda work wonders, but not sure if that would be a good idea on a computer, there must be other simialr products better suited for the job

5. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Don't worry about corrosion. In my experience, these things are built like tanks. I've had my Aluminum Macbook since 2008 and it's survived a tumble down concrete stairs and two full cans of ginger ale being spilled on the keyboard. It still works as good as the day I bought it, although the trackpad stopped clicking about a year ago.

I would only pop the keys to clean and remove the smell. Otherwise, enjoy your computer and remember to projectile vomit to your right. Words to live by!

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

and IIRC, Apple stores will not attempt a repair - they say "biological hazard"

7. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

8. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

9. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

some

Some peoples' best friends are their MacBooks, they sleep with em, cuddle with them, travel and play games with them, drink lots of water around them, sit them on their laps like babies and then - eventually vomits on them like best pals do when severely drunk. I keep my computers in the office where a lot of hazardous things like fluids, animals and kids can not gain access to at any time.

It is just so extremely foreign to me this concept of fluid accidents on these over priced gadgets people own. So alien to me!

10. hummel003 macrumors newbie

the reason why ur trackpad doesnt click anymore is because ur battery is swollen. take it out and try clicking on the trackpad

11. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I do those things with my Mac Pro and lemme tell ya my wife just doesn't like having 45# of aluminum in bed :p

12. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Vomiting on a computer? I've been there. Luckily the lid was down on my 2009 MBP. Some of the ports might be kaput though. Don't really care as long as the USB and MagSafe still work which they do. Think my Mini DisplayPort is shot but I never used it before anyway.

As long as it still works the thing you should do is try to get rid of the smell. Unfortunately your warranty is probably a gonner.

13. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

That would only happen if you over share and tell them

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

As they would likely be upset to know they were handling vomit, I would tell them. Not to mention, it would likely smell.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This... Smell will be the first tattle-tale.

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Seems pretty alien to me to restrict a portable computer to one room in your house and not act like a normal person around it, but that's just me. I've owned laptops for the past 10 years and *gasp* have drank around them as well! And shockingly have never vomited on one either.

17. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

You should probably own them a bit longer and drink more tequila around them.