VPN use and choices

ivantwilliams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Evening all.

Curious, do you use a VPN, for personal use (not work)?
If so, is it really worth the extra step and which service do you subscribe to?

Thanks all

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
Evening all.

Thanks all
ExpressVPN user here...

I value my own privacy more, so i don't really trust VPN's. Personal use.. but since non of my personal info that goes online is real,, to me VPN's are ok. just to act as a safegaurd.

If you know how to do your privacy, then VPN's are not really required. You can educate yourself for sure. The problem is no one really does, and rather trust others to do it all for us. Per-devce is not an issue, as i only use the service on Mac.

Reactions: ivantwilliams

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
IMO it's absolutely worth the extra step, we have to look out for ourselves. I personally use Nord and have found them to be both reasonably priced and fast enough to where I don't even notice most of the time.

Madhatter32

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2020
Good to use when traveling or on public wifi. Otherwise, for home use, not necessary in most democratic countries. ExpressVPN and NordVPN are good.

Jablonskitravels

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
Evening all.

Thanks all
I have reviews almost all top VPNs like Express, Nord, Ivacy, IPvanish, and more for my YT channel. I'd say as long as you are getting a decent deal from these VPNs then they are all great for personal use and for work too. However, it depends on what you are getting them for. For eg, Express is great for wide range of VPN servers they have or Ivacy is great for streaming and unblocking Netflix. IPvanish is great with torrenting and so on.

Reactions: ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Atlanta, GA
To be honest, I mainly want it to watch Football and (Premier League) and shows on BBC.
Not bothered about Netflix and such. Thanks

I have reviews almost all top VPNs like Express, Nord, Ivacy, IPvanish, and more for my YT channel. I'd say as long as you are getting a decent deal from these VPNs then they are all great for personal use and for work too. However, it depends on what you are getting them for. For eg, Express is great for wide range of VPN servers they have or Ivacy is great for streaming and unblocking Netflix. IPvanish is great with torrenting and so on.
- - Post merged: - -

NordVPN seem to have a rather good deal, currently.

PS: Odd that some companies do not allow you to pay via PayPal. NordVPN seems to be one of them. Hmm...

Last edited:

ivantwilliams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Well, just finished trying Surfshark, and it was awful. Talk about slow to download an episode of EastEnders.
And, even slower trying to watch things on BBC iPlayer.

No thanks. Simply not worth the trouble. I even tried a few difference network settings in the app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.