VZ Navigator on new iphone4??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Onthelo, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Onthelo macrumors regular

Onthelo

Hey guys ayone know how to put the VZ navigator on the new iphone4 ??
    on my andorid and blackberry they were apps..?? iphone4 app store does not have one?? TIA

2. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

If it isn't in the App Store, it isn't yet available. Not surprising since the official launch of the iPhone on Verizon hasn't even happened yet.

Patience is a virtue in this case. And there are always more options with a single up-front fee that might fit your needs better (TomTom, Navigon, Garmin, Magellan). These would break even with VZ Navigator after a mere 4-6 months of ownership.

Cheaper options exist such as MotionX Drive, which is actually a pretty solid app for the price. (99 cents for the app, 20$/year or 3$/month for the live guidance voices and traffic) It even comes with a month of live guidance as part of the initial 99 cent price.

It's worth checking out some of the alternatives because there are quite a few to choose from to fit your needs and budget.

3. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Why on earth would you want to put Bloatware on your iPhone? It was left out for a reason :rolleyes:

4. MacAddict1978 macrumors 65816

Agreed. I think it's funny AT&T even bothered with an iPhone app for their navigation. At $10/month, you could buy a better product as well as a dock that lets the GPS work without being on the network. You know, like real GPS.

5. Onthelo thread starter macrumors regular

Onthelo

got it guys! Thanks for the heads up im going to look into the other navigations

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Google is already good enough, but if you need a voice, I believe TomTom has a good app for it; however, I do believe you can find better by browsing along in the App Store.

Also, why on Earth would you want to add bloatware to an iPhone?

7. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Why would you want that junk when there's far better GPS software on the iPhone.

8. Onthelo thread starter macrumors regular

Onthelo

just cancelled I want to start looking at some of the other apps.. maybe like a tomtom app?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said.
    Look into the tom-tom or navigon apps.

10. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Navigon, IMO, hands down better. I own both, one was a gifted app. After using both, Navigon is too good. Love the maps(design/ui) especially, lane assist too!

11. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

One upside to having an iPhone now is that you can finally get the $^%& away from Verizon's bloated crap. Do yourself a favor and run, run very fast, don't look back.

Use Navigon and be happy. Or TomTom. Hell I bet even MotionX slaps around VZV Navigator like a biznatch.

12. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Navigon is the best IMO.

13. Onthelo thread starter macrumors regular

Onthelo

14. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Can you elaborate on the differences between the two and why you like Navigon better? I'm sure the OP can find it useful on picking the app that works for them rather than get blanket statements.

I can see where Navigon beats TomTom myself, but I find the menu flow and configuration better in TomTom which is more important to me than subtle differences in the maps and routing (in my area anyways). Contact navigation that is not as picky as Magellan's and Navigon's is another big area for me.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here.
    Navigon is great.

16. Onthelo thread starter macrumors regular

Onthelo

I guess I will have to look into both of these apps..navigon and tom-tom..I'll have to read some reviews

17. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I bought Navigon when I had the iphone on At&t and loved it. I only paid 29.99 for it, and it came with certain section of states on it because I did not need the entire map of the U.S. It's cheaper that way and works great.

18. icanhazipad? macrumors member

when you pre-ordered the iPhone, you should've seen that VZ navigator will be available on the 10th.

I love VZ navigator, but since I am on iOS now, I believe I will try out either navigon or tom-tom.

19. Onthelo thread starter macrumors regular

Onthelo

yeah i forgot about that untill i was talking with the rep on the phone then realized it. I loved it on my blackberry. I use google maps on my android. I ended up cancelling it and I am going to look into navigon i seen them at macworld expo and i will look at tomtom as well. See what they are all about

20. TebWeb macrumors newbie

Just coming over to iPhone myself after being a long time & heavy VZ Nav user, I'm using Motion X, and find that it's been working well for me. I've used it on just a few trips, but so far, I'm not really missing VZ Nav--Motion X seems to be a very thorough app, especially for the price. I'm still using the 1 month trial of the voice nav, which is $20/year. A HUGE bargain compared to VZ's $10/month for their service.

21. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

I know this thread is a few weeks old, but VZ Navigator on the iPhone is not nearly as bad as it's being made out to be. I decided to try it for a month and I've had zero problems. It got me where I needed to go and the app ran fine. I don't have a significant need for voice navigation on my phone, but I have no problems using the app for a month at five bucks.

22. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

I also have both, they are about the same IMO. TomTom maps are more up to date though....

23. Mario Loco macrumors member

MotionX

I have been using MotionX for about two years now. I purchased the app when I had a 3GS and now use it on my iP4.

I have to admit I have not seen what Tom Tom and Navigon look like, nor have I seen how they work.

I guess I have had no reason to do that. I have been very please with the functionality of MotionX. I did pay for the year of Voice Guidance which was 20 bucks. I live in Phoenix and have traveled to NY, NC, SC, GA, UT and CA. The whole time I used MotionX and it never guided me wrong.

Very pleased with MotionX

24. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

It should be in there by now..