VZ Will Drop Phone Contracts, End Discounted Phones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cousintim, Aug 7, 2015.

1. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

2. rapicell macrumors regular

As usual, Verizon has introduced new plans that are just as bad as the pervious. No more family plans? A large portion of their customers are family plans...genius

3. 8rlee8 macrumors regular

So you can end up giving AT&T more of your money over the 2 year contract rather than purchase the phone at full retail and get a cheaper rate plan from them? I mean, it could amount to the same price either way. But in most cases it ends up being much less money spent in the long run when you buy the phone unsubsidized and get a lower rate plan.

4. cousintim thread starter macrumors 6502

cousintim

Not if I (and others) have a large corporate discount and grandfathered cheap voice/text and unlimited data plans. If I net out the subsidy contribution, I'm paying less than $47/month for unlimited data.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Verizon always tries to find more ways to give less and get more money from their customers.
    This move doesn't surprise me at all.
    That's why T Mobile will keep closing the gap from the 2 greedy carriers to a consumer friendly and great deals network.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's not the case with everyone's plan, fan discount and when unlimited data plans come into play.
    Everyone keeps playing that wrong tune that its less money unsubsidized and lower monthly rate but that's far from the actual truth....

7. cousintim thread starter macrumors 6502

cousintim

8. C DM, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015

C DM macrumors Westmere

Probably because no more fitting section than that here, and given that as far as Apple goes at most this applies to iOS devices.

9. cousintim thread starter macrumors 6502

cousintim

I guess my definition of "fitting" doesn't fit with MR conventions. Linking a carrier's equipment sales and service agreement policies to iOS devices is a bridge too far.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Given that carrier policies affect quite a few people with iOS devices (and given that iOS devices represent quite a bit of Apple's business), doesn't seem all that unrelated. (Even you seemed to have deemed it worthy enough to be posted about in the iPhone section.)

11. 8rlee8 macrumors regular

I buy my iPhones outright and use them on a prepaid service. For me, unsubsidized is much cheaper.

12. cousintim thread starter macrumors 6502

cousintim

As far as linkage, if one tries hard enough, one can say that apples and zebras are not at all unrelated. This forum has a specific prefix for "Carrier." It seemed to logical to look for and post that story here. I'm not saying posting in the other thread was wrong, just not intuitive to a bumpkin like me. I prefer specificity to generality. YMMV.

13. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Do you think that Apple will no longer be able to advertise in their keynotes that the iPhone "starts" at $199, since all major carriers now use unsubsidized plans? If not, then would they go with an "around" $27/month or something else?

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

For you.
    For me with a family plan of 4 and fan discount subsidized is better. And 3 lines have unlimited data.
    So works great.

15. 8rlee8 macrumors regular

AT&T and Sprint still have subsidized plans.

16. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I see. Still, with T-Mobile and now Verizon, wouldn't this change mean more than half of iPhone users in the U.S. would not be under contract?

17. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

AT&T subsidized phone are only available at ATT stores, not Apple Store. And Sprint is such small potatoes it would make sense for them to start listing the u subsidized price and then say something like "see carrier for specific monthly costs".

18. tl01 macrumors 65816

What if current customers want to upgrade to a new phone? Can they still get subsidized pricing if they don't change plans?

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Until 8/13, yes. After 8/13 seems like subsidized contract option won't be on the table anymore.

20. forecheck macrumors newbie

21. CEmajr macrumors 601

They'll just advertise them as "$0 down". Which will probably help them sell even more Iphones.

22. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Whatever they do, I can almost guarantee they won't go back to listing the full price of the phone. They'll either stick with the subsidized prices anyway, or like stated above, say something along the lines of "Starts at $0 down- see carrier for details".

23. C DM, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015

C DM macrumors Westmere

Right, the financing option will be the main one that gets advertised.

24. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

Makes no difference to me, I've always paid mine full price for unlocked phone. This only affects those who finance their phones. Like the guy above, they'll probably put it as "zero down, no interest for 24 months"