Carrier VZW, Has anyone kept their Unlimited Data Plan aside form buying the phone out right?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Snake201, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Snake201 macrumors member

If so, how did you do it?

I have an upgrade on my unlimited line and I have another line that has a 2GBdata plan already. Can I transfer the unlimited Data upgrade to the 2GB line and still keep my unlimited?

Thank you,

2. pschatz12 macrumors member

That's what I'm doing. I'm just going to pop my sim from unlimited data line in the 6+ that I transfered my upgrade to the 2gb line. Should be perfectly fine. I'm not worried. It's like if you sold the phone and the person that bought it they wouldn't transfer the contract to him

3. wabadou macrumors member

That used to be the case. I am hoping it still is as I am planning to do the same. Anyone know for sure?

----------

We posted at the same time. So when the 6+ comes, I just take the sim card out, put the sim card from the 5 that is on the unlimited line, in the 6+, activate the 6+ on the 2g line, put the new 6+ sim card in the 5 that's going back on the 2g line and then switch the 6+ over to the unlimited line?

4. megapopular macrumors 6502a

How did you actually buy your 6 Plus?

5. Snake201 thread starter macrumors member

I just want to know for sure that this still works. I can buy the phone out right if that is the only way that I can keep the unlimited data, but if this works I would rather do it like that and save money.

6. pschatz12 macrumors member

I transfered my upgrade from my unlimited data line to my dad's 2gb line. When the phone comes I'll pop in my unlimited data sim and BOOM! Iphone 6+ with unlimited!

7. Snake201 thread starter macrumors member

Do you know of anyone else that has successfully done this? When does your phone arrive?

8. pschatz12 macrumors member

There's no reason why it won't work. The contract is updated to the 2gb line. They can't switch the contract you signed when purchasing the phone. It would be a breach of contract and illegal

----------

I have a ship date of 10/10

9. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

There are many different ways to keep unlimited data and still use your upgrade from that line.

There is the best buy method which works for many more online retailers other than best buy. This methods uses your unlimited line's upgrade on itself. But because these third party retailers can not access Verizon's system to change your plan, the plan change is put on a pending order that is completed when the sim card that ships with your new phone is used to activate the phone. If you simply destroy that sim card and put your old one in, that plan change never occurs.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6964624-upgrade-and-keep-your-unlimited-data-with-verizon?v=1

Then there is the transfer upgrade method where you transfer your upgrade from your unlimited line to a tiered data line. Order the phone. turn it on when it arrives to complete activation on the tiered line. And then just swap your unlimited sim into the phone. This extends the contract of your unlimited line but does NOT cause you to lose unlimited. Anyone saying otherwise is misinformed (including many sales reps).

10. iMaven, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

I don't know if changing the sim card will works, but many have said that if someone upgrades a different line and swaps the iPhone 6 to unlimited plan on the account, the unlimited plan gets dropped permanently after the phone is activated. This is something new they just implemented because of the iPhone 6.

11. pschatz12 macrumors member

You don't have to activate the line on the tiered data line. It's a misconception

12. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

That is just not true.

13. pschatz12 macrumors member

Any proof of this? I don't really believe it

14. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Just curious, how much is their 2gb plan these days at VZ?

15. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

16. Snake201 thread starter macrumors member

My conversation with Verizon just now? I am so confused now.

Snake201: I have a question regarding upgrading to an iphone 6

Deanna: Hi Snake201! I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have about upgrading. That iPhone 6 is a great phone!

Snake201: In years past, I could have passed an upgrade on an unlimited plan to my other line with 2GB. That line would then upgrade to the new iPhone and then when it would arrive, I would just switch sim cards on it. So that I can still keep my unlimited data. Does this still work?

Deanna: That's a good question! If you were to upgrade using the line that has unlimited data, it would require switching to a current price plan because you would be adding a new 2 year agreement to that line. If you were to upgrade another of the lines though, you could still put the new phone on the line with the unlimited data and you wouldn't have to worry about that changing at all.

Snake201: So to make sure we are understanding each other.

Snake201: Lets say Line 1 has the unlimited plan and an upgrade available and Line 2 has a 2GB plan and not eligible for an upgrade

Snake201: Line 1 will give the upgrade to Line 2

Snake201: Line 2 will then upgrade and get the iphone 6

Snake201: when the phones arrive Line 1 switches sim card and puts it on the new iphone line 2 just received

Snake201: this will cause for line 1 to still have unlimited correct?

Deanna: Okay, I understand what you mean. The upgrades are actually tied to the number itself. In order to upgrade, you have to use the line that has the upgrade, though the phone can then go onto any number you would like. If you were to upgrade the line 1 with the unlimited data, it would cause that line to have a new contract. So even if the phone went to line 2, line 1 would no longer have unlimited.

Snake201: When did that change?

Snake201: That was not the case a couple of years ago, because that is exactly what we did to upgrade our phones and still keep unlimited

Deanna: That has been the case. We can do it in reverse. If the line that does not have unlimited data has an upgrade, that line could purchase a new phone at a reduced cost, then have the phone activated on the line with unlimited data.

Deanna: The unlimited data plan is based on the contract your old phone had with Verizon. It's a grandfathered plan, so it's not longer available. As long as the contract on that line is not updated, though, you can keep the unlimited data on the line. If that upgrade is used, it can only be used by updating the contract.

Deanna: Does that make sense?

Snake201: yeah, im reading online and many people have done some different loopholes so I will be doing that
    Snake201: thanks for your help

Snake201: There are many different ways to keep unlimited data and still use your upgrade from that line. There is the best buy method which works for many more online retailers other than best buy. This methods uses your unlimited line's upgrade on itself. But because these third party retailers can not access Verizon's system to change your plan, the plan change is put on a pending order that is completed when the sim card that ships with your new phone is used to activate the phone. If you simply destroy that sim card and put your old one in, that plan change never occurs. http://slickdeals.net/f/6964624-upgr...th-verizon?v=1 Then there is the transfer upgrade method where you transfer your upgrade from your unlimited line to a tiered data line. Order the phone. turn it on when it arrives to complete activation on the tiered line. And then just swap your unlimited sim into the phone. This extends the contract of your unlimited line but does NOT cause you to lose unlimited. Anyone saying otherwise is misinformed (including many sales reps).

Deanna: You're welcome! I can understand wanting to be able to keep that unlimited data! The only problem is that once the upgrade does go though, even if it doesn't happen right away, it will update in our system that the line was upgraded with a new 2 year contract. It might not go through right away, but it would end up switching you to the current pricing. I don't want to be difficult, but I don't want you to get stuck in a situation later where you won't be happy.

Snake201: ill just buy the phone full price.

Deanna: Okay. That's definitely an option! Was there anything else I could help with?

17. wabadou macrumors member

So, do I swap the sim cards ( between the 5 and 6+) before I turn on and activate the 6+ on the 2g line? Then swap it over to my unlimited line? What about the NFC issue (6 and 6+ sim reportedly supports NFC and 5 doesn't?)
    Thanks so much for the input!! Trying anything to keep the unlimited data..

18. wabadou macrumors member

It sounds like if you do the upgrade on a 2g line, then swap the phone over to the unlimited line, you will be ok. Hopefully that can be done without switching sim cards due to the NFC issue?

19. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

If the line is upgraded, the UDP plan is lost.

20. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Do you need me to show you proof of my unlimited line's contract being up in August 2016?

You perfectly able to use an unlimited line's upgrade and keep the plan. Maybe you don't know how to do it, but it works just fine when done online.

21. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

I don't know why everyone thinks they need to swap sims. Transferred my upgrade (since I'm unlimited) to my wife's line to buy phone. Activated the phone on my line when it got here. No sim changing. Confirmed with several reps that I still have unlimited. Did the same thing last year as well with no issue.

22. leoes macrumors member

Ha. I love when people tell you this, along with the people who tell you Verizon phones are not compatible on other carriers. Keeping an unlimited line on Verizon is pretty easy as long as you have a family plan with capped lines.

Verizon reps are told/taught to say any upgrade on the unlimited line will lose the plan.

23. wabadou macrumors member

Were you able to transfer the upgrade from your unlimited line to your wifes line online or did you have to call Verizon for that?

24. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

You can do this easily online. If the main verizon site gives you trouble use the iconic portal.

http://preorder.verizonwireless.com