VZW will charge $2 "convenience" fee for bills paid online or over the phone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wordoflife, Dec 29, 2011.

1. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Just saw this on twitter
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-5...ess-yep-thatll-be-$2-to-pay-your-bill-online/

I hate how greedy carriers have become. This is just ridiculous. It's just pure greed, that is all.

2. scaredpoet, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I really hope AT&T doesn't follow suit and do something similarly stupid.

It looks like another way to avoid the fee is to use electronic bill pay from your bank. At least that way you can avoid dealing with auto-pay and stay in control of how much you pay Verizon and when.

Though if I were a Verizon customer, I'd consider going back to paying in-person at the store. Via check. And make a salesperson handle the payment.

And, I would press for a service adjustment for their recent outages. If they're going to nickel and dime customers, then customers would nickel and dime them back

3. dagored macrumors 65816

I agree. I am not a Verizon customer, but what if you refuse to pay the fee, but not the bill? What could they do?

Are they changing your contract? Didn't they set up a payment method when you signed your contract? How can they change it if your contract is not up?

4. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

Same. I have AT&T but I'll pretty upset if this happens. This honestly makes no sense what so ever. How is dropping off a check at the Verizon store more convenient for Verizon, rather than just accepting the payment online?

AT&T wouldn't get even get $0.10 out of me for this, just because there is no justification.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I haven't been a Verizon customer in years, but depending on how the contract is worded, there may be a way to wiggle out of a contract if you press hard enough. You'll have to weed through the legalize to know for sure.

6. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

I hate this. And before you people say "it's just $2" let me say this...what's to keep them from making it $5, $10, $20 or more? I hope to god the people speak up and don't let Verizon get away with this, I remember there was an uprising not too long ago with the banks trying to charge the same bs when you used your debit card and we got that shot down. Lets do the same here, this is nothing more than the powers that be lining their pocketbooks.

7. soco macrumors 68030

soco

It could get interesting. I once fought this kind of fight with some other company years ago. I think it was a credit card. Either way, I paid my bill on time but always subtracted the fee I had a problem with.

Ultimately, I won my little battle because in order to close out the account, they had to have a zero balance and the woman I had on the phone knew I wasn't backing down. She cleared the balance and I went on my way.

I doubt this would work with Verizon, but if your principals are strong enough, it may be worth it to you.

8. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I'm not a Verizon customer, but I'm pretty sure this doesn't change your contract at all. It's being put out there as a "processing fee" or something of the sort. It doesn't change the amount on your bill...it will just get tacked on if you go to the website to make a one-time payment. A lot of places do this nowdays. Mortgage payments, car payments, etc. It doesn't change your contract with the company at all.

9. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Good clarification. I too was thinking of it was an add-on to the bill. If it's a blockage to getting to the final button to pay online, that's total BS. I don't use checks and don't want to. Why should I be forced to increase my footprint by using the Postal Service and their trucks? Not that I actually care, but it's a rhetorical principal question.

10. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

And, before anyone tries to stand up for them, this is not simply a passing on of the Visa, et al, merchant fees. You can tell this because if you walk into a store and pay your bill with that same card you would normally use online you will not be charged the fee.

11. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

How many people actually make one-time payments via Verizon's own online portal? I would think the percentage is not very large.

This fee will not apply to those who make online payments via their own bank's online banking system.

12. soco macrumors 68030

soco

If it applies to those who log into verizon.com and hit "Pay Bill" and enter their credit card info, I disagree completely.

13. dagored macrumors 65816

You would think they would want your money faster. If it were to happen on AT&T, I pay online now, I would stroll over to the AT&T store on the last day and pay the bill. I am retired and have the time and patience to deal with *ick heads.

Its too bad, its a company move, I feel sorry for the employees. They always take the brunt of things when changes like this happen.

14. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

That's pretty ridiculous. I paid a parking ticket a few weeks ago, and it charged me 3$ to pay online. REALLY, you know that doesn't cost them ANY money to accept an online payment, yet they charge extra. It's ridiculous. I feel the same way about banks. All these charges and hidden fees, when its YOUR money!

If I were a company in competition with others (such as cell carriers) I would be doing all I could to keep customers satisfied and loyal.

15. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

16. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

They can arbitrarily change the terms of your contract. The only real recourse you'd likely have is to immediately terminate your account without an ETF.

17. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

They're just covering their CC processing fee, or so that's what they are trying to say. But, if you're on AutoPay there is no fee. How interesting is that :cool:

18. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

They're gambling to try to get greater control of how and when payments happen. They're probably betting that most customers won't want to fuss around with a paper check, and so they will be "motivated" to sign up for auto pay.

Once on auto-pay, Verizon has your bank account information, and payments of your bill are now on their terms. Need to dispute a bill? You're at a disadvantage now, because they already have your money.

Chances are, Verizon stores (like AT&T stores) have an automated bill payment machine that employees are trained to direct people to. You could make a stink and insist that the payment be handled by a human. But then they could do what Sprint does, and charge you a $3 convenience fee for making a salesperson process the payment.

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So does:
    Comcast
    RCN
    AT&T
    Pepco
    etc
    etc

While the practice is pretty despicable, it's certainly not unique to Verizon.

20. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If the percentage wasn't high and it truly cost them more money than it brings in, they wouldn't offer it.

I pay my bill online all the time, with AT&T using their iPhone app, and my visa check card.nits extremely convenient. But, not worth $2.

Until very recently, the were actually very few people using bank online bill pay. Though that's has finally started to change.

Comcast doesn't do this. I pay my bill with them online via check card all the time.

(They WILL charge you $7 a month to "rent" a modem from them, and then inadequately support a modem you buy yourself even if it's identical to the ones they rent, but that's a whole other issue.)

AT&T doesn't do it either... At least not right now.

21. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

22. kalex macrumors 65816

lets see how long it takes for other cartels to catch up to this nonsense.

23. aristobrat macrumors G5

FWIW, if you pay with credit/debit, then there is a fee charged by the banks to process that payment, whether you pay in-person or online. I've never read of a city that isn't statutorily prohibited from absorbing the costs of those fees. They're added to the amount owed.

In regards to online payments, I wouldn't be surprised if your city outsourced that service, which adds an additional cost (vs. paying in person).

I live in VA's largest city, and they charge $4.95 to pay a parking ticket or city bill (like water) online with credit/debit. For taxes owed, it's 2.5%. Paying online with a check is free.

24. RyanG macrumors 6502

Don't be upset at verizon, be upset at banks and VISA/Mastercard/etc for raising transaction costs for using debit/credit...

25. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

This is crap. I haven't done any research (yet), but I really doubt Verizon pays anywhere near $2 per credit card transaction.