iPhone X Wait another year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Luigi_S, Dec 31, 2017.

1. tonybarnaby macrumors 6502a

My wife cracked her galaxy s8, and I surprised her with an X and an apple watch. She couldn't be happier, and plans to keep both for years to come. The camera and the size of the phone are perfect to her. Thee a12 will probably be faster and the camera will be better. I can't imagine anything ground breaking next year besides an X plus, and that's right up my alley. 2018 will be the year of the big phone.

2. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

I have purchased the non-S and then the S version of every phone that has been released since the iPhone 4 either for my kids or myself.

There are never any improvements that make a marked difference between the original release and the boring S follow up. All you are advising the OP to do is waste a year of his life with an old phone instead of getting the hottest new first iPhone to get anyone excited since 2014.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

That's usually my thoughts as well. It seems the second iteration of an iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, etc is usually more refined in the sense of adding more unique features and tweaking the hardware, processor improvements, display alterations and software enhancements. The 6s is a great example of this.

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

If it's the best iPhone ever designed then it remains so.

If your next replacement is the best and the X becomes the garbage you sell or throw out then the X was never the best iPhone designed.

You've moved the goalposts from best ever designed to the best currently available. That's a difference.

But either way I just don't agree.

If you want to cite specs, sure. It is the best. But I don't buy based on specs because any old iPhone can do what I require. So aesthetics matter to me and when it comes to that camera boil I disagree that it's the best design.

Just my opinion.

5. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

No I haven't. It's both.

6. Act3 macrumors 68000

and if they have a breakthrough and fix the throttling issue permanently with next years' models, you will be disappointed that you didn't wait. I'd get a new battery and see what happens.

7. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Until next year. Which means at that point it won't be. So how can it be the best in both categories if next year it won't be?

8. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Getting your New Year's champagne out and down the hatch a little early I see.

Most of us start drunk-posting around midnight.

9. Omni Slash macrumors newbie

Omni Slash

Wait for the second gen after any major overhaul.

10. UnifiedMelody macrumors member

UnifiedMelody

few software bugs were what i experienced with 1 month use of iPhone X that sorta put me off especially at the high pricetag you expect it to be complete not incomplete... put it this way some of the bugs to me were unavoidable and weird like stretching the app all the way to the top where the back button is inaccessible,

another one was i couldnt swipe to open my phone, another software bug. FaceID worked but i'd be stuck on lock screen unable to get in until i do a reset, which seemed annoying...

it's kinda shame because the hardware and design are all perfect to me, the software bit for iPhone X felt abit incomplete for me to hold it. so went with the 8+ instead, geting 95-98% of iPhone X pretty much [losing oled, full screen and 2nd OIS camera and faceID]

but if you want it by all means go for it if you feel comfortable doing so. this was just my experience above with the iPhone X for a mth which should be plenty of time for proper analysis...

that being said i'd suggest waiting for 2nd Gen of iPhone X hopefully they iron some of the software bugs i listed above which were unavoidable, usually resulted in restarting the phone to "fix it" which is quite cumbersome... rather than app kill.

11. Rhonindk macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

Interesting question.
    What I would recommend:
    • Replace battery. Even if decide to upgrade later it will improve resale value or gifting value
    • If the battery doesn’t do it for you, try out the 8 and X. Make a decision to wait longer or go with one of these.
    • Wait till the XI or go Android - your choice.
    Whatever you do, do what works for you. Not what the “crowd” clamors for. It’s your decision.

Personally, I am waiting - have a 7+ but have upgraded each year. Till now.

12. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

I just upgraded from the 6 to the X and I am very happy with the new phone! It’s so much faster, has more display, dual cameras that are way better than the camera on the 6, and I actually prefer FaceID over TouchID. I was getting really frustrated with the 6. Yes a battery replacement might have helped, but I’m much happier with the X.

13. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Think about what you want - don't listen to the ra-ra cheerleaders all the time.. If you have the option of extending your current phone's life by replacing the battery, try that. The X is a first generation hardware system, so it could get much better once Apple unleashes the X2 next year.

14. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

If you want the X, go for it. Amazing phone and easily the biggest upgrade in years. Gestures, design, and Face ID are my favorite parts.

15. Samuel79 macrumors member

I have to say I was tempted by the x when I was in the apple store last month regarding my 6s+ charging issue but it was simply a non genuine lead that was the issue I just got a mfi version. If the x was bigger I might have upgraded but as ive 8 month left on the warranty and as I am due a upgrade in 3 month on my wife's phone it was temping but just to small for me

But I am with the rest get the battery replaced it will feel like a new phone if you reset it to factory and then give it a month to see what comes of the saga

You just never know they might rush out a new model sooner than people think they might

16. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

The throttling issue is not going to make them release something "extra special" next year. The only reason I would wait is if you want to see what happens with a larger sized model, and don't want to enroll in the upgrade program.

I don't know about "all these negative reviews". The only things I hear are criticisms about liking Touch ID better, the notch, and not wanting to use the new gestures. All subjective, and you may agree with them all, but they are not problems with the phone. I can personally say that I would not want Touch ID after using Face ID. I find Face ID much quicker.

You could always get the battery replaced for $29, and see how it goes. The X isn't going anywhere. If you can hang onto your cash, your bonus shouldn't either :p

17. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I agree with you. And I keep reading more comments like this where others are saying Apple is 'going to release something special next year because of the throttling'. No, they are not. If Apple truly believes in their practices, they should not have to feel compelled to do something extra special for the consumer because they feel bad for their actions. Which Apple addressed the throttling issue by offering the battery replacement program and that's all that matters at this point.

Apple will keep moving forward as they always have, even for those who are disappointed in them because of the throttling.

18. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Apple are going to give away free iPhone X s’next year to anyone who calls themselves an Apple fan because of the throttling. If we had been smart we would have waited until next year.

19. Ralfi macrumors 68000

Ralfi

3D Touch & an improved Touch ID from the 6 to the 6s are big for me. So glad I was on a 3 year cycle & ended up with the s variant in the 6 series.

As has been said, the X would be an improvement for those with a 6s, but even more so for 6 owners.

20. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Don’t forget that the 6S has 2gb of ram. Huge difference.

21. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

Not sure why anyone would wait. The X has been great since day 1 for me.

22. akash.nu macrumors 601

akash.nu

You know if you still want a shiny new device but not wanna be the one dealing with first generation product issues then you can get an iPhone 8 Plus and save some money as well.

23. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

First, the person on the S cycle almost always gets 90% of what the non-S had and wound up waiting an extra year for very little. The S people are always behind on the latest tech, the iOS updates leave them cold, it's not a good experience.

Second, we're in the 11th year of iPhone's existence and a) technology is not changing that rapidly anymore and b) Apple is extremely good at getting it right the first time. So the advances between the non-S and S cycles are meager and these so-called bugs just don't exist anymore.

The only reason a 6 or 6S owner would avoid the X right now is because of price or screen size. All others who know they are going to wind up in an X eventually should get onboard immediately.

24. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I would disagree (but everyone can have their opinion) but I would say that the S gets the better bumps over the non-S.

The 4S got Siri, double the RAM, and a fixed antenna design.

The 5S got the two-tone flash, and touchID and fixed the flaking aluminum.

The 6S got 2nd-gen touchID, double the RAM and a stronger chassis.

I also feel that the double RAM that the S sometimes gets would give better iOS performance on upgrades. I would expect that the 6S would handle iOS12 better than the 6 handles iOS11, but then this is just speculation.

My point is that when a new design happens, I'd rather wait for the next model. The X is a radical new design with new components. The faceID components will only get better on the next X. I guess the wireless charging might get better too, but that isn't a feature that I crave. I suppose, if it's not already too late, that the next generation batteries might deliver peak current better than the current batteries in order to prevent random shutdowns/throttling. In fact, the X might already have been designed for this as it has two separate batteries ... after all, Apple has known about this battery issue for close to a year and probably longer.

25. newellj macrumors 603

Having owned all of these, I agree that the S updates have generally been the more compelling. Especially with the 5S (TouchID introduced) and 6S (TouchID significantly speeded up), the upgrades were very significant. Your point about RAM is also a good point.