iPhone X Wait another year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Luigi_S, Dec 31, 2017.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Too bad I didn't have this option when my 6 Plus was crippled, I was forced to upgrade or deal with the terrible slowness and short battery life. The 6 is a perfectly good phone otherwise.

2. Ralfi macrumors 68020

Ralfi

Did not know that. Cheers. Yeah, the 1GB of RAM in the 6 wouldn't be handling things too well these days I would think?

3. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

Having owned every iPhone until 6 and now the 8 Plus, I completely agree with this. The S versions are definitely the better ones and not just meagre updates.

4. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Correction, 4S only has 512MB RAM. It was the iPhone 5 that got 1GB RAM. That said, yes, the S versions tend to be the more refined versions.

5. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I was thinking that the 4 had 256mb of RAM and the 4S doubled it. But that was wrong too.

Thanks for the correction.

6. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Iirc:

iPhone
    • original: ARM11 400 MHz, 128MB
    • 3G: ARM11 400 MHz, 128MB
    • 3GS: Cortex A8 600 MHz, 256MB
    • 4: Apple A4 800 MHz, 512MB
    • 4S: Apple A5 800 MHz, 512MB
    • 5: Apple A6 1.2 GHz, 1GB (worked really well paired with iOS 6, alas the iOS 7+ UI overhaul wasn't particularly kind to older devices)
    • 5s: Apple A7 1.3 GHz, 1GB
    • 6: Apple A8, 1GB
    • 6S: Apple A9, 2GB

One reason I didn't buy the original iPad, it only had a single-core A4 + 256MB RAM. 256MB was just good enough for the 3GS with its 320x240 display. It was barely enough on the 4th gen iPod Touch (Apple A4, 256MB). I knew I wouldn't be happy with it on an iPad.

Now 128MB was really RAM-starved even back in 2007. The 1GB on iPhone 6 and 6 Plus isn't that awful in comparison.

7. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

Nobody knows 100% for sure a new iPhone X is coming later this year, let alone iPhone X Plus.

My advice is go buy iPhone X now. It is a truly incredible device.

Don't wait for something better that might come later this year.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

A new iPhone is definitely coming out this year.
    Not much doubt about that.
    And yes usually the new model is better than last years model etc..

9. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

The question here is will you be fine waiting 10-11 months and just using your iPhone 6 during that time?

10. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Yes, the S's got some more horsepower but they were already old news and a year old by the time those who waited got one. And if you look at your chronology going back seven years to 2011, Apple is putting in less innovations in the S's and are now very marginal releases, quite underwhelming.

If BMW releases a new bodystyle, I want in right away. Because I want to be in the latest and greatest and feel that first year rush and I also know that if I wait too long then at the end my loan or lease won't be up and I'll be driving an old looking car while everyone else is driving the sexy new one. Being on the 'newness' cycle matters to a lot of people.

If the OP doesn't mind being years late to newness and then hanging on for years to oldness, why not, wait for the next-gen X. I think he'll probably be disappointed.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think it's fairly obvious without stating. But it also makes sense that Apple will be offering a larger 6.5 iPhone X to expand the line up, which has been rumored heavily and predicted by Ming Kuo.

I also already recommended that in my post that you're quoting.

Said something similar in effect:

12. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

That's fine. For you, the freshness of a new design is important. Others don't feel that way.

Speaking of BMWs, think of it like this. The original E36 models came out with the plastic water pump impellers. They worked fine, until they didn't and left you stranded on the road. Later E36 models came with the indestructible metal water pump impellers.

Some folks value the small fixes more than the freshness of the new design. Like me. I put the phone in a case, so I don't see the exterior design anyway, other than the screen, which basically all look alike.

13. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

I just don’t understand why people keep bringing a car analogy into a smartphone conversation. ‍♂️

Different industries, different requirements, different user habits, different technologies and different shelf life.

I mean what exactly are we trying to compare here?!

It’s like saying if I am able to buy a bicycle every year then I must be able to buy a Boeing 747 as well. ‍♂️

14. ac921ol macrumors 6502

the wife and I went from 6s to the X.

we kept passing up on the 7 or the 8 waiting for something to fancy us, and that was the X, we went with the att deal and got it for $545, and sold our 6s for $300 so total cost was $245 for an X if that doesn't make it worth it, then I don't know what will.

but the X is light years ahead of the 6s, in response, and app response, battery life, and just about every other aspect of it.

we waited and got what we wanted. so we had the 6s for about 2-3 years.

15. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Face ID is not just a different bend of sheetmetal, it makes the iPhone X an entirely different car. The newest innovations to the iPhone aren’t cosmetic. They are functional.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    It’s like when you are at a stop sign and someone drives up in a BMW and you are in a Honda. You know what I mean?

16. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I didn't say the X was just cosmetically different than previous iPhones. I was just addressing your preference to having the latest design, as indicated by your BMW analogy. I know the X provides a lot of new features in addition to the fresh design.

My point was that some people, like me, find value in waiting for the second iteration of a newly introduced component. FaceID is the exact type of innovation that I would prefer to wait for Apple to perfect.

Not saying either way is correct. Just preference.

17. Deacon-Blues macrumors 6502a

Deacon-Blues

Is it wishful thinking to hope that the next iPhone X version will incorporate Touch ID? Because that would just be super. Touch ID and an LCD instead of the burn-in prone OLED in the current X. Maybe a 16x9 screen as well. These are a few of my favorite things.

18. newellj, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018

newellj macrumors 603

Yes. It's gone forever. Same as the 3.5mm headphone jack.

Rumors do support a LCD display with FaceID for next year.

19. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

20. jtuk macrumors regular

I have had the worst time trying to make up my mind in regards to upgrading from 7+.
    I have an intense dislike of the X - the shape, the design, the stupid gestures and lack of fingerprint sensor. I then decided on 8+...But then noticed the clearly dimmer screen when placed next to 7+. That made 8+ seem a step back. Who wants a dim screen?
    So then decided I will just have to go with X and hope somehow i can get over the ugliness and smaller video display etc....But when i got to the store just couldn't do it.
    Now seriously co differing Samsung as they are clearly better phones and gorgeous to look at. But that would mean losing Apple Pay, wallet and all the apps I have been using for so long.
    I have irrational anger at Apple not creating something better! Pathetic I know! I have had an iPhone since 3g so it is a big deal.
    So still don't know what to do. But my Apple dream is gone. It is not the company it used to be.

21. Ralfi macrumors 68020

Ralfi

I think you're giving too much weight to the interwebs panic merchants who are drowning out all the X owners who are very happy with a slick Face ID system & an OLED screen that performs as good as any out there sans burn-in issues.

If anything, the next iPhone will have a faster/smarter Face ID system & a better quality OLED screen.

22. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Yes. Thank you for admitting it.

You know, when the Yankees have a bad season I don't tell the world that "my baseball dream is gone, the Yankees are not the team they used to be" and then storm off and become a Red Sox fan. Good luck.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    When it comes to consumer electronics forums, the internet was built for the 1% who have beef and not the 99% who are completely happy. If I weren't visiting MR to check out iPhone X accessories I wouldn't even know there was a battery problem for older devices. Why would I? Happy people are, you know, happy.

23. newellj macrumors 603

I'm sorry to quote you and I really don't mean this personally, but I have to say - with so much weeping and gnashing of teeth and catastrophizing here recently - what happened to these things being just a phone?

What is this "dream"?

When did Apple become the source of our personal well-being and happiness? :(

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'm with you on that.
    I'm totally disappointed with Apple.
    This is the only year that I wasn't excited or interested in the new iPhone released. And I bought almost every one near release day for years. On the opposite I was totally against it and hated it so I wouldn't even consider buying an iPhone X.
    Then on top of that the throttling saga started to unravel that really made me feel like they're playing us all for fools.

25. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Article link? Which rumor specifically is this indicating touch ID with an LCD display next year? Only rumor that I'm aware of is a 6.1 LCD iPhone, having Face ID and similar functionality to the iPhone X. And perhaps an updated iPhone SE 2 possibly retaining touch ID.