Wait? Buy? Or IBM it.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by terrym2442, Mar 12, 2012.

1. terrym2442 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I know there's been a lot of discussion about this but perhaps you guys can help. I'm new to Mac, having switched from IBM last May to an iMac (still learning the ropes- it's been tough).

Now, I need to replace my Lenovo ThinkPad, which I've had for 7 YEARS.

Here's my question:

I only use my laptop while traveling and only for email, writing and web browsing. Nothing hardcore. I don't even use it for music. The problem is, I need to get a replacement quickly.

So...do I spend a ton of $$ for a MacPro or Air now? Wait until the so-called new ones come out?

Or buy an inexpensive IBM?

I'm leaning towards a Mac but having a tough time waiting it out if it goes beyond April. And no one seems to know for sure if a new one is even coming out, right?

Any suggestions?

Thanks-

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

first for what your using the laptop for get a cheap IBM one, if you really like Mac get the one you can afford now, you really dont need more power than the current ones offer

3. hafr macrumors 68030

You could get a second hand netbook for a hundred bucks that would be overkill for your needs. Get an a few years old Acer Aspire One until the new MBP/MBA are released and make the decision if you want to spend all that money or not then.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

According to Intel there will definitely be no mobile Dual Core IB before june. Thus you'd have to wait a while.
    I would just buy one now if you need it now. With that usage you'd probably do just fine with an Air.

5. RRoku702 macrumors newbie

RRoku702

Aloha,

In that case I would just get an iPad. Its portable and wi-fi is pretty much easy to find one anywhere you go. I have a MBP that I use for homework, email, wp (word processor), and opening up my online college. I have a iPad that I use as ebook and emails which I only have the wi-fi iPad not the one with additional 3G unless u want to pay that $30 or whatever the cost is for a data plan.

Just remember the iPad is small and easy to carry. I hope I helped just a little.

Mahalo

6. terrym2442 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your responses.
    Since I'm using a borrowed IBM laptop while on vacation and it keeps crashing, I'm seriously thinking of getting a Mac. This is driving me crazy.

So the next question would be:

Get a new MacPro? Used MacPro? Or get an Air? Is it worth buying a used Mac?

Re: iPad- I have one but find it too hard to use for the type of work I do. But I love it for other things!

Terry

7. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I'd buy the cheapest notebook I could find. As you know Lenovo's last FOREVER so I'd probably pick one up and put Linux or Windows on it and keep it for another 7 years.

8. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

If you can afford it, go with the Air.

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Having used a cheap, consumer-grade Lenovo Ideapad (as well as expensive Thinkpads in the past), the cheap ones are basically as junky as any cheap notebook. If you want a nice experience, get a MacBook Air (or a good X-series Thinkpad if you decide not to "switch"). And you don't need to wait for the update for your needs, the current model will do just fine.

Regarding new vs. used. Probably the best approach is the factory refurbished, which saves money, looks like new, and carries the same warranty as new.

10. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Having a t420 (for work) and a docking station, it is very convenient to hit one button and go from my dual monitor setup (at either work or home) to go from a desktop set up to a laptop.

Its nice not to have to fumble plugging in and unplugging monitors and other devices.

My MBP hasn't received as much love lately.

11. Takashi macrumors regular

If that's all you are going to be using, it might be wise just to get another cheap PC if you plan to save $$. If you do want to go with a mac, I would get the macbook air (more $$). I don't think macs are any better than PCs in terms of reliability as both of them are machines and each have their own issues.

One thing for sure is that those IBM Lenovo notebooks are build like tanks. I doubt you will be able to find a mac that can last for 7 years under everyday use.

12. thundersteele macrumors 68030

You could look at the Apple refurbished store. You can grab a 13'' MBPro or a 11'' Air for under $1000 probably. And if the new ones come out and are awesome, you can sell the older machine for not much loss.

To those suggesting a cheap netbook:
    The OP does email and writing. Sure, he doesn't need the i7 CPUs in the mac, but are you really suggesting he should go for a crappy netbook with a bad keyboard and a bad screen?

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

14. Liquinn Suspended

I agree. As much I love OSX. Is there a feature in OSX, which OSX can do something Windows cannot? Nope.

15. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Test Viruses.

Edit: NM, read it backwards.

16. kaydot macrumors regular

I know you've already given the tablets a try, but I have another idea. Have you tried an iPad with one of those keyboard cases, or similarly, an Asus Transformer with Keyboard Dock? They're slightly more expensive than a netbook, I suppose.

Otherwise, my gut is to tell you to get the cheapest Air.

Ditto with all the other comments, there is no point in waiting. Buy what you can afford now. The situation does not change by waiting for new models.

17. shootist macrumors regular

18. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

don't wait, get the air now or if you want to stay w/ thinkpad (my favorite line of pc laptops) take a look at the thinkpad x220, it is comparable in size/weight to the air, totally obscene battery life.... both would make for an amazing laptop.

19. FluJunkie macrumors 6502a

Indeed. While I *love* the Lenovo Thinkpad line, and if Apple officially EOL's the Mac Pro that's probably my next laptop purchase, the consumer-line Lenovo's aren't much better than random, run of the mill cheap notebooks.

20. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

I recommend all my buddies to get a thinkpad over a macbook for their type of usage. In your case I would recommend the same thing. It is the de facto notebook for a wide variety of reasons.

I would only consider a macbook in your position if you appreciate its design. From things like the aluminum unibody to macsafe. If not then there is absolutely no reason not to get a thinkpad.

Although I would wait just a tiny bit longer for the new macbooks and then decide which one you want.

21. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

22. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

a $200 netbook is all you need

23. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

24. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

As others have said, a refurbished MBA. The portability in itself is worth the few extra bucks and despite having the small form factor, they are tough as nails.

25. dlsife macrumors member

The base Air has 2GB of RAM which is not upgradable. Hard for me to recommend that to anyone. 4 should be the absolute minimum anyone has (and the min Apple offers). 2 is not enough.