Wait for 2016 Macbook Pro Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iPad Retina, Feb 14, 2016.

  1. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

    iPad Retina

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2013
    Location:
    Canada
    #1
    hello, I might be receiving a Mid-2015 macbook Pro 2.5GHz with the DGPU, should I sell it and wait for the 2016 model, will the Macbook Pro have a new design this year? What is the likely hood?

    Thanks
     
  2. sunapple macrumors 65816

    sunapple

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2013
    Location:
    The Netherlands
    #2
    I think it's likely that there will be a redesign, this wouldn't be the first thread about it.

    However, past launches and chipset-availability indicate the MacBook Pro 15 might not come out until June-August or even later, so maybe hold on to your current machine until then if you should.
     
  3. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

    iPad Retina

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2013
    Location:
    Canada
    #3
    I'm getting a replacement computer, due to so many repairs, two screen replacements, a left fan, and the logic board. Deciding if i should sell it, but it still needs to be approved
     
  4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #4
    Nothing so far suggests a redesign, maybe some new ports and a new graphics card for the 15 inch but other than that all we know so far is skylake CPUs.

    I would keep it and worry about what to do when the new one comes out (as mentioned above it could be months) it'll probably be more trouble than it's worth to swap unless you have a specific need the current 15inch doesn't meet.
     
  5. Cergman macrumors 6502a

    Cergman

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2013
    Location:
    my tesla
    #5
    I got the same 2.5ghz w/ dGPU replacement for my base model 15" early 2013 rMBP that had tons of problems back in August last year. It's been a huge upgrade and i've been extremely happy with it. I would recommend you keep it.
     
  6. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

    iPad Retina

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2013
    Location:
    Canada
    #6
    Which Early 2013 Model did you have what specs?
    Getting a 2.5GHz but I have the 2.6GHz, I don't think it matters
     
  7. TechZeke macrumors 68020

    TechZeke

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2012
    Location:
    Rialto, CA
    #7
    But your 2.6 is based on Ivy Bridge, while your replacement is based on Haswell.

    According to geek bench, even the 2.2 Ghz 4770HQ in the current base model comfortably beats your old 3720QM. It's no match for the 2.5GHz 4870HQ in your replacement Mac.
     
  8. Cergman macrumors 6502a

    Cergman

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2013
    Location:
    my tesla
    #8
    My original was a base model 15" early 2013 2.4GHz 256GB 1GB dGPU with an upgrade to 16GB of RAM I paid $200 for. My replacement is the high end 2.5GHz 512GB w/2GB discrete GPU. I paid nothing for the whole deal, except to get AppleCare again since it definitely came in handy on my previous one.
     
  9. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

    iPad Retina

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2013
    Location:
    Canada
    #9
    Do you guys think AppleCare is good in the long run? Never gotten AppleCare. Not even this one. They just asked me if your ok with replacing it.

    I've heard horror story's and amazing story's
     
  10. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

    KUguardgrl13

    Joined:
    May 16, 2013
    Location:
    Kansas, USA
    #10
    AppleCare is great! My old mid-2009 MBP developed a couple of problems that would always come back after I had it fixed, and Apple continued to repair it at no charge even after AppleCare expired. The only thing I have paid for on that machine is a new battery and a RAM upgrade I did myself! They also fixed a gummed up home button on my iPhone, replaced a lightening cable that bent, and replaced the battery in my iPhone 5 (even after AC+ expired, and at not charge!). I will always get AppleCare for my devices!!

    As for waiting for a new model of MacBook Pro, good luck! I waited for the Haswell update, and it dragged on forever! Although the waiting thread was highly entertaining :)
     
  11. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

    iPad Retina

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2013
    Location:
    Canada
    #11
    I've received many cable replacements due to it bubbling. And EarPods. The other day. I brought both of my chargers one is a 45W MagSafe 1 from a Late 2010 MacBook Air and they just replaced it. I was like do you need a serial number. They were like nope. Also have the mid-2012 MacBook Pro with retina. Replaced the 85W MagSafe 2 for free as well. Even though the warranty expired a really long time ago
     
  12. dwman macrumors 6502

    dwman

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    Location:
    San Francisco
    #12
    Ugh. I'm in the same boat. So I just bought a 2015 15" rMBP (base model) because I got a hell of a deal on it. It's sitting in my house still shrink wrapped because I'm now thinking of waiting until March to see if a Skylake model is going to be introduced. I don't have buyers remorse because it's still a great machine, but I could probably sell it for more than I paid for it, but all this waiting feels like an exercise in futility.
     
  13. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

    iPad Retina

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2013
    Location:
    Canada
    #13
    I know right. But at the same time j really need the computer and I alreday have a Soeck case for it. So debating.
     
  14. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2009
    Location:
    Australia
    #14
    I would wait until the March event before deciding what to do. While I doubt there will be a redesign, the Skylake chips are looking good and might be worth waiting a month for.
     
  15. geraldem macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2015
    #15
    Agree..but anyone that has been dealing with the Skylake driver issues on Surface or HPs will tell you, be careful what you wish for :)
     
  16. T5BRICK macrumors 604

    T5BRICK

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon
    #16
    Skylake will have a 5-10% improvement in speed and a 5-10% improvement in battery life. The GPU is where they'll see the biggest boost.

    Honestly, on the desktop side of things, folks aren't upgrading from Ivy Bridge or newer because it's really not worth it.
     
  17. Ovedius macrumors 6502

    Ovedius

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2012
    Location:
    Norway
    #17
    Oooh, you've piqued my interest!
    What driver issues? :eek:
     
  18. r6mile macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2010
    Location:
    London, UK
    #18
    My 8GB 2013 MBA just had its display (and display housing) replaced by Applecare because of a display issue. Since the laptop now basically looks new, I am considering also replacing the lower case, and selling it and replace it by a 13" rMBP when the new ones come out. I think I could get a pretty good price for the MBA and since I get the UK 15% student discount (+free AppleCare) on new laptops I wouldn't have to spend that much to upgrade, maybe £250-300. I wouldn't normally consider doing this since I love my MBA but that would seem like a pretty good deal to upgrade a 3 year old laptop.

    Obviously this is all speculative, but what are we thinking in terms of performance gain? I know Skylake CPU performance is not much greater than Haswell's, but what about the GPU? How much of an improvement v Intel HD 5000 Graphics?
     
  19. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2011
    Location:
    Ridgewood, NJ
    #19
    I'd keep the replacement. For 3 reasons.

    1) You don't know when, or if, there will be a redesign.
    2) You don't know if you'll like the redesign. (For example, they go completely USB-C)
    3) You don't know if there will be potential bugs/issues with a rev1 product.
     
  20. sentential macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 27, 2015
    #20
    I'll add a few points

    1) that's actually pretty easy to do based in part availability. Match should launch new 12" & 13" MacBooks both on Skylake. 15"s won't launch until September at best; why? Because there are no Skylake GTE-4 parts available. Given Iris Pro is needed to drive the retina displays that rules out both 15s. Apples metal API relies heavily on OpenCL which means it'll have another AMD GPU. Polaris won't arrive until the back-to-school period so again Q3-Q4. The ironic part is that by the time it launches it may be using Kaby Lake and skip Skylake entirely; we'll see.

    2) there haven't been any leaked shells indicating a redesign so most likely it'll be new ports on the existing shell. USB-C and TB-3 are all but guaranteed

    3) I don't buy that. The current 15" has way more bugs than the rev1 12" MB
     
  21. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

    iPad Retina

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2013
    Location:
    Canada
    #21
    Worth keeping it?
    Like what problems with the Mid 2015
     
  22. Ovedius macrumors 6502

    Ovedius

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2012
    Location:
    Norway
    #22
    The 15" with the AMD M370X has documented problems with throttling under load.
    I should know: I owned one, was in contact with Apple (expected behavior, they called it), got a replacement, sold it.

    For proof of throttling in Bootcamp:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-15-Mid-2015-Review.144402.0.html

    Quotes:
    "Unfortunately, the MacBook Pro is affected by a very annoying problem when you use Windows, which results in frame rate drops during prolonged gaming sessions: The Radeon GPU cannot maintain its core clock of 800 MHz. The clock often fluctuates between 675 and 725 MHz, but occasionally drops to 400 MHz. The resulting stutters are very annoying, particularly when you play shooting games, and seem to be caused by thermal throttling when the core temperature reaches around 74 °C (~165 °F)."

    "The 85-watt power adaptor is hardly adequate and limits the consumption to around 90 watts – which means that the MacBook cannot maintain the maximum clock for the CPU and the GPU simultaneously, even when the temperatures are very low. However, the temperature development will result in throttling after a couple of minutes anyway..."


    The throttling is just as prevalent under OS X but sadly GPU Z doesn't work in OS X, so I can't just slap the numbers in your face.
    If you want to see throttling in OS X you can use a GPU benchmarking application like Unigine Heaven, awful.


    It is a pain in the ass for sure, but depending on you demands, you might not be bothered by it.
    I was, so I got rid of it.
     
  23. iPad Retina, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016

    iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

    iPad Retina

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2013
    Location:
    Canada
    #23
    Yeah. I'm getting the one with the Dedicated Graphics. This should be interesting.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 18, 2016 ---
    I'm not a gamer, video editor, 4K videos, YouTube, word, PowerPoint.

    Slightly concerned about the temperature. Of the computer. Better get AppleCare. Should I get AppleCare when I get the computer or when the one year is almost up. If I were to spill something on the computer. Very low likely hood, I basically just wasted $400 on AppleCare. Any thoughts?

    Maybe I might run Windows. Maybe. Just because of school things. My school district is mainly foucsed on PCs, ugh. I have about 120GB or 300GB of free space if I take my photos library out. Probbaly just view documents and certain files. What would be a good partition size for that? If I wanted to remove windows. Do I need to repartition the whole computer, remove all my data? Or just uninstall windows?

    Thanks
     
  24. Ovedius macrumors 6502

    Ovedius

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2012
    Location:
    Norway
    #24
    Thing is, it's much better than the integrated Iris Pro gpu.
    You might not even be bothered by it.
    I would try not to worry and instead just try to sell it if it starts to become a problem.
     
  25. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

    iPad Retina

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2013
    Location:
    Canada
    #25
    But at the same time I really need the computer for work. But idk if it's worth the wait till June or so still.
     

Share This Page