Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
As I understand you're getting the 15" 2015 model as a replacement from Apple?

If you keep the box and the wrappings and treat the machine properly you can easily sell it "like new" if you feel tempted to replace it when the refresh comes.

Then you have a computer for work and might only have to go a few weeks without if you decide to swap down the line.

sentential

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
But at the same time I really need the computer for work. But idk if it's worth the wait till June or so still.

Most if not all of us will likely get full replacements so is hold off on apple Care. If you need it now go ahead and get it just be aware of the iksues

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
I'll add a few points

1) that's actually pretty easy to do based in part availability. Match should launch new 12" & 13" MacBooks both on Skylake. 15"s won't launch until September at best; why? Because there are no Skylake GTE-4 parts available. Given Iris Pro is needed to drive the retina displays that rules out both 15s. Apples metal API relies heavily on OpenCL which means it'll have another AMD GPU. Polaris won't arrive until the back-to-school period so again Q3-Q4. The ironic part is that by the time it launches it may be using Kaby Lake and skip Skylake entirely; we'll see.

2) there haven't been any leaked shells indicating a redesign so most likely it'll be new ports on the existing shell. USB-C and TB-3 are all but guaranteed

3) I don't buy that. The current 15" has way more bugs than the rev1 12" MB

1. yes, because analysts are always so accurate based on supply chains, and other BS.
2. That has nothing to do with him LIKING the redesign.
3. Such as?

sentential

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
1. yes, because analysts are always so accurate based on supply chains, and other BS.
2. That has nothing to do with him LIKING the redesign.
3. Such as?

Well supply chains have been pretty accurate in the past so I don't see any reason why that would change. As for the redesign since he was hoping for one I wanted to at least make him aware that it is unlikely to happen.

Such as? Lol I'll try to be as to the point as I can because the new 15s are pretty god awful and have a whole litany of things wrong with them.

1) There is something seriously "wrong" with the GPU. It rarely provides full performance and aggressively down clocks from 725mhz down from 800 to as low as 400mhz. People have beaten this topic to death and there hasn't been any conclusive reason why but a couple of theories have been floated. The first of which is that this is normal behavior to prevent the GPU from cooking itself to death however many folks including myself are no where near the upper limits temperature wise. Other folks say its a bug which I am currently working with Apple directly to fix. Lastly people say that it's a power limitation that the board and power supply cannot provide enough current to have both run at 100% at the same time and that the Macbook desperately needs a 130W+ brick to supply sufficient power.

2) Tons and tons of software bugs ranging from beach balling to outright kernel panics. I myself had my logic board replace 3X as the error that came back was "HDA Register Restore Failed" suggesting a defective GPU. This was later patched after I forced an engineering ticket to Apple to correct.

3) Random artifacting, still a problem but every now and then when the dGPU takes over you'll get a bout of flickering on the display

4) Insanely hot power brick. Someone's already caught on fire and mine damn near did. I had to have the whole top shelf of my macbook replaced because it got so hot it melted the keyboard while i was using it in clamshell mode

Reactions: cerberusss

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Well supply chains have been pretty accurate in the past so I don't see any reason why that would change. As for the redesign since he was hoping for one I wanted to at least make him aware that it is unlikely to happen.

Such as? Lol I'll try to be as to the point as I can because the new 15s are pretty god awful and have a whole litany of things wrong with them.

1) There is something seriously "wrong" with the GPU. It rarely provides full performance and aggressively down clocks from 725mhz down from 800 to as low as 400mhz. People have beaten this topic to death and there hasn't been any conclusive reason why but a couple of theories have been floated. The first of which is that this is normal behavior to prevent the GPU from cooking itself to death however many folks including myself are no where near the upper limits temperature wise. Other folks say its a bug which I am currently working with Apple directly to fix. Lastly people say that it's a power limitation that the board and power supply cannot provide enough current to have both run at 100% at the same time and that the Macbook desperately needs a 130W+ brick to supply sufficient power.

2) Tons and tons of software bugs ranging from beach balling to outright kernel panics. I myself had my logic board replace 3X as the error that came back was "HDA Register Restore Failed" suggesting a defective GPU. This was later patched after I forced an engineering ticket to Apple to correct.

3) Random artifacting, still a problem but every now and then when the dGPU takes over you'll get a bout of flickering on the display

4) Insanely hot power brick. Someone's already caught on fire and mine damn near did. I had to have the whole top shelf of my macbook replaced because it got so hot it melted the keyboard while i was using it in clamshell mode

And this is for the 2015 15" MBP with dGPU you say? I'm having to switch from a 2012 12-core Mac Pro to this MBP model soon and dreading it due to such crap. Any promising words, or is it a crapshoot?

By the way a if thanks for working with Apple on getting issues resolved for the betterment of everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.