Wait for iMac refresh or buy an old refurb?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by charityjf, May 9, 2012.

1. charityjf macrumors newbie

Hi,

I really need a new computer, and am keeping an eye on the rumours about new iMacs. The only possible feature I'm particularly interested in is the anti-glare display, which I'd absolutely love... as a non-power user, most other improvements are probably above what I need.

The thing is, I'm going to have to run Snow Leopard on whatever machine I get, as I have an application I still use which is very important to me that only runs on SL. I was planning to get a refurb iMac from the Snow Leopard era, so it would ship with the system I want, but the anti-glare display rumours are making me reconsider.

What I'd like to know is if the new iMacs are likely to work with Snow Leopard, if I buy it separately and install it? Someone here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14840343#post14840343 (post #187) is saying the new iMacs with Ivy Bridge or Radeon 7xxx won't even work with Lion 10.7.3, so I'm assuming that means there's no way they'd work with SL, correct? I don't know if ALL the new iMacs will have Ivy Bridge & Radeon 7xxx, or if the lower end ones will have older components that might still work with SL?

Any info or advice would be much, MUCH appreciated. I find it difficult to bite the bullet & buy at the best of times, let alone with all the rumours flying around at the moment. Thanks.

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

All the new iMacs will have Ivy Bridge processors and AMD 7xxx GPUs (or, possibly, the low end might use the new Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics), and won't run anything before 10.7.4. If Snow Leopard is a requirement, you're going to need an older model, and either reconsider your room lighting or look for 3rd party alternatives for anti-glare.

3. charityjf thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks for the info. Do you also happen to know what tends to happen to refurb prices when a new model is bought out? Do they go down at all, given there's a newer model around?

4. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

lets say the 2012 comes out june first.

the 2011's will price drop. 100 to 300 bucks you need to make a list of all the 2011's and the refurb prices now print it out for reference.

this is all macs 2010 and 2011 refurbs as of today.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac

7 2011's on the list

5. Bear macrumors G3

The only issue with buying a refurb, is if Apple will have the model you're looking for. Yes prices will probably drop when the new models are out, but is it worth the money and maybe not be able to get the model you need?

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

There's absolutely no basis to suggest the low end model will use integrated graphics. This would be more likely if they were trying to hit a lower price point. It's just that intel has managed to create a bit of hype because they have improved their integrated graphics considerably. Overall Apple needs better collaboration with the companies who make their gpus as they always seem to have driver issues, and bad drivers can hold back performance.

7. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Hey, I didn't say will, I said possibly might. If they stick with the roughly the same models, then I don't think the integrated graphics are in the picture. But can you definitively rule out a 5th model to hit a lower price point? I can't.

8. charityjf thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a shame, because I'd really like that anti-glare glass the new iMacs might have, but my decision has to hinge on that one piece of software that doesn't work with Lion. It was good when I first got it, but then it got sold to another developer, who doesn't seem to have the resources to really keep it up to speed. I've found since writing this post that he is still developing it... all signs before seemed to indicate he wasn't; his website was even down. He says he'll have an update compatible with Lion soon, but he's been saying that for a long time, so I can't really rely on it. I want to migrate to an alternative, but it's going to take time to find one that's right for me, and then more time to migrate all my stuff to it (the app is a kind of note-storage system, a bit like DevonThink, and I have a lot in it.) Anyway, sorry, rant over. Hopefully if I do have to go with an older model I can find ways to deal with the glare.

Thanks philipma. I should have mentioned I'm in the UK. I did take a note of the prices a few months ago... I'll probably do it again now. It's good to hear they drop the prices in the US; I don't know if it means they'll do the same here though... everything is more expensive here :( Still, at least they can't increase the prices after bringing out a new model!

I'm ok with that. I'm not too fussy about the model, I think I'll find something ok for me. It may just be a case of waiting a while. I'll go for something pretty low-end for now, and will probably sell it in a year or so once I've sorted this software problem out. By then, I'll hopefully have more money to upgrade to a really good machine that I'll keep for longer.

9. Scrapula macrumors 6502

If you want an anti-glare screen, why not buy a Mac Mini and buy a monitor that you like? It will cost you a lot less money.

10. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

You know you don't need to keep Lion and can install SL on a brand new machine, right?

11. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

The problem is that, if she were to get a 2012 model when it came out, the appropriate drivers wouldn't exist for SL. She could get a 2011 w/ Lion and push SL onto it though.

12. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Really? Never heard of that. Curios OP what this one program is that you are using?

13. charityjf thread starter macrumors newbie

I've considered it strongly. I like the iMacs more, but I may end up going with a mini. It just seems that alot of (or maybe all) external monitors come without a mic, cam & speakers, and I like the integrated feel of those in the iMac. Unless anyone knows any of a decent price that do have that stuff all in?

Yes I do. But I like refurbs anyway, 'cos they're cheaper & are tested more vigourously. And as I need Snow Leopard anyway, then it's easier to get a machine that comes with it out of the box, rather than pay for & install a copy myself.

It's Mori. By the way, before anyone suggests alternatives, I do know there are many, but I have very particular features I need in a program like this, so it'll take me quite a bit of looking around before I find one I like.