Wait for Ivy Bridge??

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by calganelle, Apr 6, 2012.

1. calganelle macrumors member

I know a lot of places have this - but I can't find a situation similar to mine. I'm in the process of buying a Macbook Air right now. I'm eyeing the 13'' 1.7 GHz 256 GB 4 GB model. However, I've been reading a lot about how the MBA upgrade should be soon, and will have Ivy Bridge. I also know if I keep waiting, I'll never buy one, as the cycle is neverending...however... I don't want to buy this high-end model, and then have a newer, more powerful and long-lasting model come out just a month later.

Is the MBA I'm thinking of purchasing good enough? Basically, will the upgrade even matter very much? If so, I don't want to wait months before I get one, as I'm sans-laptop right now.

I'll use the MBA for my day to day use, as well as some minor photo editing, video making, etc...but not by any means a crazy amount, nor is it part of my job or anything like that.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Will it matter for you? No. Will it be a nice upgrade? Yes. Will the current MBA be outdated by mid-summer? Yes. By buying it now, you'll basically be giving up USB 3.0... so ask yourself, is waiting a few months for USB 3.0 worth it?

3. calganelle thread starter macrumors member

Don't mean to sound like a complete newbie but, what's the advantages of UBS 3.0?

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Faster interface than USB 2 and quite a bit of 3rd party peripherals Lready that implement it

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Except no one but Apple knows if they will include USB 3 in the update.

6. calganelle thread starter macrumors member

Hmm yeah...not having a laptop for school when I don't even know when it'll come out is not a good look, just to get an upgrade that I won't necessarily need. I'll just take my chances and wait for the inevitable next upgrade when I need it :cool:

7. applefanDrew, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  8. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

You definitely get less bang for your buck if you buy one now.

9. calganelle thread starter macrumors member

But when would the new one be released? No one really knows right? And for now I'm without a laptop at all =/

10. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I'd be willing to bet it would be July. They seem to be going to yearly updates for everything including Mac's now.

11. calganelle thread starter macrumors member

Ah, way too late for me... I'd like to say I can be laptop-free for 3 months but that's being way too optimistic. I'll probably feel bad in July and get over it for the next couple of refreshes. Maybe now I'll just get the i5 seeing as how the stuff I'll be doing on my MBA will be fairly simple... :confused:

12. minnus macrumors 6502

We can make a pretty darn good educated guess based on when Dual-core Ivy Bridge comes out.

13. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Buy a cheap net book to get you through until July.

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Any no one but Apple knows if they will ever release an updated macbook air ;)

USB 3 is part of the chipset that Apple will be using (assuming the next Macbook Air uses an intel CPU). So unless Apple is going to intentionally cut out USB from the next revision of the MBA, there's no reason why it wouldn't be there.

15. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

i second that...you should have no troubles finding a good used one on craigs for $150...then when new air comes out sell it for almost same price...win win!

16. Kayan macrumors 6502

I always tell people that technology will always come out with newer things, so the best rule is if you need it, just buy it. However, I find that with Apple products, I am never happy unless I'm able to buy the latest product at the start of the refresh cycle for it...I made the mistake of not expecting a refresh with my first Powerbook, and then a week later the updates came, and I felt ripped off forevermore...I know that if it were me, I would wait. Enjoy your time away from a computer for a bit, enjoy the outdoors:)

17. David Menzel macrumors member

If you have a laptop at the moment I would wait until the next gen. MBP/MBA arrives. I would buy a new MBP or MBA when the cycle begins. I expect better processors, a new unibody design for the MBP (possibly a merger of MBA's and MBP's), higher resolution displays (at least for the MBP models), more graphic power etc.

I think it worth waiting for few months...

18. Pyromonkey83 macrumors 6502

Ivy Bridge comes standard with USB 3.0 on all chipsets, so unless Apple gets rid of USB ports entirely or makes their own custom chipset (which would be WAY more expensive than just using the already made ones), USB 3.0 will be there. And since I dont see Apple getting rid of USB anytime soon as that would be corporate suicide (not to mention completely screw over all MBA owners that have iPhones/iPads/iPods), its a near certainty USB 3.0 will be present on all Ivy Bridge products from Apple.

19. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I always buy Apple's products when it first launch. I'd wait for it unless you can't live without the MacBook.

20. calganelle thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the input everyone.. but... I'm definitely typing this on my new MBA now. I'll have to suffer when the summer rolls around, but this is basically more than I could ever need in a laptop. I'll tie myself over by promising to get the new upgrade when this one gives out, whenever that is! :)

21. hbtd macrumors newbie

Congrats on your new MBA. I bought a refurb 11'' in Jan and don't regret it one bit. Enjoy your beautiful machine.

22. /user/me macrumors 6502

What about the MBP from last year? Updated 2 times - once in February and once in October. Apple doesn't have a set release date, be it yearly, quarterly, biannually, or otherwise. Apple releases products when Apple wants to.

23. calganelle thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I absolutely love this thing. :apple:

24. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Yea starting this year it seems like Mac hardware will begin 1 year cycles. OS X, iOS, iPhone, iPad...all 1 year cycles. Macs are next. Especially as they begin unifying the MBP and MBA

25. /user/me macrumors 6502

Hopefully, but all those products have been about one year from inception. Their computers have been all over the place, generally clumped towards the beginning or the end of the year. I think that there's something to be said that they're moving to one year cycles, i'm just merely stating the fact that until apple decides that's what they want to do, and it's made evident in release cycles, it's anyone's bet.