Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macNEWBIEswitch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
In addition to other possible upgrades in (maybe) Springtime, is it worth it to wait for my first MBP because of the Leopard operating system? I hear that some people think MBP could do a lot of upgrading to return it to it's former set-apart aluminum glory.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
This has been asked a lot. The best answer is - if you need a new computer now, get it now. If you don't, wait. There'll always be something newer and better at some point down the line.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
It'll probably be 4 or 5 months (at least) that you could be using the machine. In all likelihood, the upgrade will be $129.

As for quality, the majority of the machines are fine - no heating or noise problems, if that's what you're referring to. Screens really no different than previous (for example, new C2D 17" light leaking along bottom is very very close to my 17" PBG4 (non-DL)).

macNEWBIEswitch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
This has been asked a lot. The best answer is - if you need a new computer now, get it now. If you don't, wait. There'll always be something newer and better at some point down the line.

I know it's been asked a lot. However, this will be my first MBP and it's more than just the Leopard. Some people feel that the MBP could do a lot more to return to it's "set-apart aluminum glory" than where it currently stands. This ALL being said, do we "rumor" that the upgrades will be signicant enough (Leopard + other functions) to justify waiting. I can wait but don't necessarily want to wait.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
No matter how long you wait to buy, if you wait just a little longer they come out with something else. If you need a computer buy a computer if you don't need a computer then what will change in march to make you need one?

Maybe I can make that more clear..."If you need a computer, buy one. If you don't, don't buy one." or
"If you need a computer buy one, if you don't need a computer, wait until you do need one then buy it."

Seems silly to wait for Apple to announce something new and then buy it then unless there is a huge coincidence of you needing a new computer at that exact same time.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
I don't think waiting for Leopard qualifies for the same answer always given.

"There is always something better around the corner."

Yes there is blu-ray, new intel cpus, better gpu, 802.11n blah blah blah. Those things are forever changing. You can't stay ahead of the curve.

With an OS, you have a little more time. We have had Tiger for awhile now. With Leopord so close, it makes sense to wait. Especially considering I think Apple will drop some surprises on us for MWSF. An earlier shipping date to lay it down on Vista is very likely.

Of course if you NEED a computer RIGHT NOW. Then yes, you have no chance. But if you have the ability to ask if you should wait, my guess is that you can and you may as well.

Waiting for hardware is silly. Waiting for the OS is a smart move as it saves you money on the upgrade. Wait for MWSF at the very least for more Leopard information.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I know it's been asked a lot. However, this will be my first MBP and it's more than just the Leopard. Some people feel that the MBP could do a lot more to return to it's "set-apart aluminum glory" than where it currently stands. This ALL being said, do we "rumor" that the upgrades will be signicant enough (Leopard + other functions) to justify waiting. I can wait but don't necessarily want to wait.

What is this set apart aluminum glory that you are talking about? Aluminum is always crap, if they come up with new carbon fibre casings, perhaps then we can start talking :)

Since you said you can wait, then you have made the choice for yourself.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
In addition to other possible upgrades in (maybe) Springtime, is it worth it to wait for my first MBP because of the Leopard operating system? I hear that some people think MBP could do a lot of upgrading to return it to it's former set-apart aluminum glory.

I'm in the market for a new Mac but I'm waiting for Leopard and iLife 07. Sure, I could use the computer now but I'd rather wait and get all that software preinstalled and save about $210.00 in upgrade fees.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
Pick a point in time, and stick to it, otherwise you will just torture yourself. Now, January, after Leopard comes out, whatever time suits you, but just remember the longer you hold out the more impatient you'll get.

And OSX is great. The longer you wait, the longer you do without it.

macNEWBIEswitch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
My Lord, NEWBIE is right! LOL. You've posted like 7 topics asking various questions all within a day or so...welcome my friend.

Now I've really confirmed my NEWBIE status by NOT returning to the forums for almost a week after my machine gun threads. Thanks for the welcome and thanks to all whose posts I just read. Very helpful!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.