Wait for Mountain Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mcfinch, Jul 21, 2012.

  1. mcfinch macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2010
    #1
    Is there any reason to wait until Mountain Lion is released to buy a Macbook Air?
     
  2. iClive macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2012
    Location:
    UK
    #3
    None at all, any Mac bought now is eligible for a free upgrade.

    Its available next week anyway isn't it?
     
  3. tekboi macrumors 6502a

    tekboi

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2006
    Location:
    New Orleans ✈ WesŦward
    #4
    It is highly unlikely that Apple will release any new hardware with Mountain Lion... so there is no need in waiting to purchase. Besides, the last update to the MBA wasn't too long ago.
     
  4. mcfinch thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2010
  5. midtownhd macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2012
    #6
    I might be wrong about this, but I think if you buy it now, you get to "own" the mountain lion upgrade. It would show as purchased in the app store.
     
  6. aleni macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2006
    #7
    if u're note developer, becareful about installing ML GM, because once u done that, you will not get the latest firmware update for 2012 mba and mbp.

    the firmware update says about fixing power usage.
     
  7. iClive macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2012
    Location:
    UK
    #8
    so we can buy it now, even though it's not released yet?
     
  8. manunited macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2012
    #9
    No, what it means is that when Mountain Lion is released later this month, owners of a mid-2012 model MacBook will be given free upgrades through the App Store (download it for free as opposed to paying $20).

    Even if you wait until Mountain Lion comes out, unless you order online through Apple, chances are that you'll get a MacBook with Lion installed out of the box. This is because Mountain Lion will have to be installed pre-packaging, meaning that only stock that comes in after the release date (which will most likely take several weeks, as there is remaining stock in stores) will have Mountain Lion pre-installed.
     
  9. nlr macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 27, 2010
    Location:
    London
    #10
    I would wait only because the new iMac could be released.
     
  10. alexbarreras macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2012
    #11
    Hi! I'm in the same situation. I'm going to buy a MBA 2012 i5/8g/256g today and I'm doubting if wait or not...
    I'm a Windows user, quite used not to upgrade a Windows version on another one because of the poor after-performance.

    Do you still recommend me to buy today the MBA and upgrade it as soon as MLion is available?

    If I regret this choice, I could apply a fresh install because the recovering partition is updated witj the new OS once it's downloaded, right?
    Thanks!!
     
  11. jdsipod macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2011
    Location:
    Iowa City, IA
    #12
    Mountain Lion is coming out next week, most likely tuesday (that is when they have released updates before) and it really is up to you. You will receive Mountain Lion for free since you have purchased the computer during the upgrade period. So no matter what you will get the upgrade, it just is a matter of whether or not you want to wait a week to get a new computer. Personally I would buy it now so you can get used to using a Mac, but really the transition from Windows to Mac is not very difficult. Hope this helps.
     
  12. alexbarreras macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2012
    #13
    Thanks!! I'll do that!

    This evening I'm going to an Apple Store in Madrid to buy the MBA i5/256/8. I didn't know but they perform the RAM upgrade soldering it directly at the shop. It will tale 1.5hours but it is worth it!
     
  13. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2008
    Location:
    SoCal
    #14
    Huh?
     
  14. durruti macrumors regular

    durruti

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2004
    Location:
    Jersey
    #15
    Don't they add RAM in the factory in China?

     
  15. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    Location:
    Oxford, England
    #16
    No they don't
     
  16. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #17
    If I upgrade to Mountain Lion; is downgrading to Lion possible in the future?
     
  17. alexbarreras macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2012
    #18
    It seems that they assemble the extra RAM in the Apple Stores... But I'll be able to confirm it in a few hours ;)
     
  18. carlos00 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2012
    #19
    No as Mountain Lion wipes the lion install. The only way around is to copy the Lion boot image disk onto an different disk and downgarde by booting onto that.
     
  19. alexbarreras macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2012
    #20
    Are you answering urruti or me??

    I called 2 hours ago to an apple store and the guy told me that they solder the RAM on the shop...... One week ago I talked to a girl who told me that I only can buy this upgrade through the apple store web page.

    Sorry I'm quite lost... The store is 30km from my home and I don't want to waste time... Should I call again to confirm???
     
  20. alexbarreras macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2012
    #21
    Hi again...

    I have talked to another genius and they don't upgrade the RAM at the store... So I need to order it from the web. I have told them to get better informed next time :mad:
     
  21. carlos00 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2012
    #22
    The apple store guy must have had a bad day, fact is they solder the ram in the factory. Just call them again and ask them if they have the 256GB model in before you go; as Apple shops usually keep some in... or order from the apple web store.
     
  22. jeremyx macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2012
    #23
    Does Apple start to ship devices w/ ML immediately when it's released? Let's say that ML is released at the 25th, when I can order to ensure that the device comes w/ ML installed?
     
  23. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

    RightMACatU

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2012
    Location:
    192.168.1.1
    #24
    That's the $10,000 question... no one really knows for sure.
    What I know is that I will be purchasing one from Best Buy next week and have them confirm with their Apple rep that I will get a ML MBA.
     
  24. gentlefury macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2011
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #25
    No reason at all. You will get it as a free upgrade if you buy one now...and nothing will change between buying it now or after ML is released.
     

Share This Page