Wait for new iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CBienvenu, Mar 28, 2011.

  1. CBienvenu macrumors newbie

    Mar 28, 2011
    Will the new iMac update be worth waiting for? I will only use it for basic entertainment (Internet, iTunes, email and light documents). Will I really be missing out on anything earth shattering.. Anything that my basic needs will see real benefit from?

    PS. This will be my first Mac. I have an iPhone 4 and 1st gen iPad.
  2. 251776674 macrumors newbie

    Feb 2, 2011
    I decided to wait. My first mac too.:)
  3. kfury77 macrumors regular


    Jan 9, 2007
    Osaka, Japan
    You should definitely wait. The new ones should be available in a matter of weeks and will be a lot faster. For the sake of waiting a couple of weeks it's worth it.
  4. one1 macrumors 65816


    Jun 17, 2007
    Chattanooga, TN
    I don't know what you consider a lot faster, but the specs aren't showing anything that will make a major improvement. The 1gb VRAM and the absence of a front bus are both already present and that is the biggest factor in speed, not a microscopic processor change. If the latest is indeed the greatest then wait and get the April release, however I wouldn't expect to be blown away with a whole new experience. The current high end iMacs didn't even get any actual change from the i5 to the i7 short of the processor. Same specs otherwise between the mid 2010 and the 2011.
  5. silverboadicea macrumors newbie

    Apr 2, 2011
    CBienvenu, I am also wondering if I ought to wait for the new iMac. It's a bit disheartening to think of saving for months on end, buying my first Mac, only to have a newer model come out weeks later. However, I have only really heard rumors of a 2011 release. I don't want to wait forever!
  6. ShiftyGray macrumors regular

    May 19, 2010
    It's probably only one more month. If you can't wait that long then take some Ritalin.

    Sandy Bridge and Thunderbolt are reasons enough to wait.
  7. JustSomeDude macrumors regular

    Apr 10, 2010
    One other reason to wait is to possibly save money. If you don't find the next iMac a significant upgrade, then you can the last model (the now current one) at clearance price or get those refurbs for even cheaper.
  8. JeepGuy macrumors regular

    Sep 24, 2008
    I would wait, there is nothing worse than buying a new computer and having a better one show up a few weeks later.
  9. DagazaGZ macrumors regular


    Dec 13, 2010
    Agreed, you should wait like me. Another 3-4 weeks I'd say from what I'm reading.
  10. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020


    Nov 21, 2009
    Up There
    Like the people said, I would wait, it'll be worth it! :)
  11. onthecouchagain macrumors 604


    Mar 29, 2011
    I recently got a Macbook Pro and I'm foreseeing myself converting fully to Macs. I'm looking forward to iMac news this year as well. It doesn't seem like iMacs come out at a regular annual interval (like the iPhone/iPod/iPad), so I'm hoping it's sooner than later.
  12. bahama macrumors newbie

    Feb 22, 2011
    agree, if its a matter of a few weeks or a month I would definitely wait it out.
  13. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

    Aug 25, 2006
    NE Hoosierana
    +1,,, that be more philosophy at the moment, while puttering along with my >3 yo 24", that ain't too keen with latest digital photo s/w... so, I will wait.
  14. iMikeT macrumors 68020

    Jul 8, 2006

    Good post.

    Normally, I would say that if you can't wait go ahead and buy now, it's not my money. When the updates come are released in a few weeks, don't get pissed off at Apple or the community for not having the patience and a choice that YOU made.
  15. CBienvenu thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 28, 2011
    Apple Care Protection Plan

    So I think I'm thinking that I might actually get a refurbed iMac to save a few hundred bucks.. but now I'm wondering if the Apple Care Protection Plan is worth purchasing. At $170 its over 15% of the cost of the iMac itself and I thought that Macs are supposed to be really solid machines, so is it really worth $170 to extend the warranty 2 years?

    Any opinions and experiences you can share would be great.

  16. 5th macrumors newbie

    Mar 31, 2011
    No. Buy now.
  17. ShiftyGray macrumors regular

    May 19, 2010
    Check what your consumer rights are in your country. Here in the Netherlands we have 2 years warranty for computers so you would only be adding 1 year.
  18. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 25, 2010
    For "typical" home user doing iTunes, You-Tube, email, surfing and typical Word Processing tasks, do get the current iMac version. And to save dollars, get a refab version as well. Thus, getting a nice discount with 1 full year warranty (compared to buying used at private sale).

    When it comes to computing power, "typical" home user is like driving a 4 cylinder vehicle. Do you really need a turbo charged 8 cylinder engine under its hood? A 4 cylinder "base" late 2009 or newer version of iMac with 4 GBs of memory does great for typical home usage...

    If wondering, I bought "brand new" in mid - 2010. Next time around (for my home usage), I'd buy refurb (and with discounted dollars get more memory for it). But that's a topic for a different post...

  19. Choctaw macrumors 6502


    Apr 8, 2008
    What is Sandy Bridge & Thunderbolt?
  20. 5th macrumors newbie

    Mar 31, 2011
    Thats why you need to buy your iMac NOW.
  21. ShiftyGray macrumors regular

    May 19, 2010
    Check out the new MacBook Pro articles on this site. You will find all the info there. Of course you can also just google the terms.
  22. 5th macrumors newbie

    Mar 31, 2011
    They are not worth the wait. They won't even be available until mid-summer when Apple can release it with Lion. Buy now.
  23. TrollToddington macrumors 6502

    Feb 27, 2011
    Completely agree. The base i3 21.5" 2010 is a fantastic computer, fast and snappy, and can handle far more sophisticated tasks than the usual home needs. Runs Aperture like a breeze. (I guess photoshop would run equally well). But if I were in your shoes I'd wait until the refresh cause I'd get more bang for the buck - or to get a better discount on 2010 model ;)

    Whichever mac you get you won't be sorry - all of them are surprisingly good machines.
  24. iSayuSay macrumors 68040


    Feb 6, 2011
    Well in that case, if the need is not urgent, why we dont wait for the new iMac AND OSX lion released altogether. U can save some $$ from upgrading 10.6.x u have to 10.7 if u wait because it's going to be preinstalled on next gen iMac
  25. flopticalcube macrumors G4


    Sep 7, 2006
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    Apple does not wait for OS releases to release new hardware, even a few months. This happened in 2007 with the aluminum iMacs (August release) and Leopard (October release). They will just get a special build of Snow Leopard if there is unique hardware. Thunderbolt, Sandy Bridge and probably updated graphics are definitely worth waiting a few weeks, IMO. This could be as big a change as going from Yonah to Merom in late 2006.

Share This Page