Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Well, enjoy it considering those chips will be half of what they are now. And the chances of me picking up a octo 2.66 in a few months for $2500 is quite high. At the very least the 3.0Ghz quad core machine will be standard.

Have you given OWC a try SDAVE?

3.0's are going to stay the same price...that's just a little fact ;)
The 2.66 Dual Core Xeons and Quad Cores (Maybe) are going to drop in price. The 3.0's are not even out on the PC side. Apple has always charged this much for the top of the line Mac Pro's, even when they were selling the G5 Quad Cores. Apple doesn't care about CPU price drops, they just keep the premium anyways...but for now, I can't imagine how cheap Apple gets the Quad Core Xeon 3.0's from Intel for. The 2.66 is about $1,200 each on the PC side, my guess is it will go down to $800-700?

I ordered from OWC today, will probably get it next monday or tuesday. I shipped the Crucials back, jeez do they suck or what. I hope OWC isn't this bad. I've never heard of Netlist memory though, but am really familiar with Micron/Crucial...

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
3.0 dual-cores stay the same? I don't think so. I would like some data on this "fact" if you don't mind sending it my way. the quad core drops have already been announced. About 50% of the current price:

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2007-05-21/#6785

The 2.66 quad-core will be the about same price ($744 vs $715) as the dual-cores today, if Apple continues to include the dual-core models at the same price. I am not buying. I expect a shift or a price drop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117089
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117111

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
I ordered from OWC today, will probably get it next monday or tuesday. I shipped the Crucials back, jeez do they suck or what. I hope OWC isn't this bad.

I personally like and trust OWC.
I hope your experience is as good as mine.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
3.0 dual-cores stay the same? I don't think so. I would like some data on this "fact" if you don't mind sending it my way. the quad core drops have already been announced. About 50% of the current price:

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2007-05-21/#6785

The 2.66 quad-core will be the about same price ($744 vs $715) as the dual-cores today, if Apple continues to include the dual-core models at the same price. I am not buying. I expect a shift or a price drop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117089
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117111

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80921-95&prodlist=froogle

I made an estimate of $800*700 so I was right on the money....but the 3.0's are unknown because only Apple carries them. I am guessing it will be $1,200 moving the 2.66 down.

Apple has always been expensive because it knows that it's customers will always drop down money on the workstation machines....I wish this wasn't true, but that's how it is.

davewolfs

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
Ahhh good to have the Quad 3Ghz :)
Who cares what the new one has? This thing is a monster. I'll be putting in Leopard as well.

This RAM isssue is pissing me off though, I wish I could dump it and get Apple RAM but it's too much.

What ram is it that you are using that is causing issues? From what I have read OWC and Crucial both seem to be good manufacturers. In the past I have used crucial and have never had a problem.

flappo

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
in the cubicles
just because apple get an item cheaper doesn't mean they'll necessarily pass the saving onto the customer

i think a lot of people ( well 3-4 on here ) are going to be very disappointed

a small speed bump , maybe a realignment of models at the low end , but as for some earth shattering epoch making product announcement

somehow i doubt it

SolidShadow

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
New Brunswick, Canada
Frankly, I'm not expecting earth shattering anything. I'm waiting till the end of the freaking month just to see IF something happens with the Intel price drop.

Sure nothing could come of it but knowing SOMETHING might happen based on Intel's lineup within 2-3 weeks, I think I have the patience to wait that long.

If nothing happens, I'll buy, but I'll do it on my terms.
I think some people are blowing this waiting/not waiting crap out of proportion on both sides of the ridiculous argument.

You're not an idiot if you choose to buy now, you're not an idiot if you choose to wait.

Alpinism

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2005
or get a macbook pro and sell it later on. MBP was just refreshed and should hold its value very good still.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Earth Shattering? Dont recall anyone saying that

just because apple get an item cheaper doesn't mean they'll necessarily pass the saving onto the customer

i think a lot of people ( well 3-4 on here ) are going to be very disappointed

a small speed bump , maybe a realignment of models at the low end , but as for some earth shattering epoch making product announcement

somehow i doubt it

I don't think anyone here is expecting an epic-making product announcement flappo.

What we are expecting, at the very least are new video cards, and probably 8-cores all around, and maybe 2 gigs stock RAM configuration.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
I don't think anyone here is expecting an epic-making product announcement flappo.

What we are expecting, at the very least are new video cards, and probably 8-cores all around, and maybe 2 gigs stock RAM configuration.

i'm hoping for just some updated hardware like you said newer video cards, 8 cores standard and hopefully 2 gigs of ram standard since thats the standard on the MBP hopefully it'll reach the desktops

emeldahay

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2007
Is there a reason you dont upgrade the cards yourself if thats something holding you back?

I bought the lowest spec card with the macpro and whipped it out for a quadro fx5500. Does me fine just now. Still eager for the new machines tho...

flappo

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
in the cubicles
Is there a reason you dont upgrade the cards yourself if thats something holding you back?

I bought the lowest spec card with the macpro and whipped it out for a quadro fx5500. Does me fine just now. Still eager for the new machines tho...

you make a valid point , plus an extra gig of ram is cheap these days , plus does anyone really need 8 cores ?

i think some people are waiting for something that's already here

oh well , it's fun to 'mac rumorise'

tribe3

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Vienna, VA - USA
I really don't understand what some people think it's going to happen when Intel drops the prices of the actual processors... Do you guys think that top-end computers are going to cost less or something?

I believe that the intel 386 must be a bargain at the moment; say 10 bucks? I don't get it. If they drop the prices it means they're going discontinue them and replace with new stuff at top dollar. Apple is not going to drop prices ever. Companies make money charging high prices, get it? And trying to stay at the cutting edge in computer technology is like trying to store a fart in a basket. If someone can wait months and months to get the fastest computer it means they don't need a fast computer. And when they finally get it it will be the fastest for a short time, which doesn't mean your machine will slow down.

A professional that invests in a pro workstation pretends to get at least 3 years of good performance out of his machine, and mac pro gives you that. You can upgrade your RAM up to 32gigs; The "old" graphic cards run any pro app you throw at them at top speed; you can change hard drives like cassettes; It has a huge power supply. It has everything to keep you competitive for a long while. Heck there are guys doing serious stuff on PowerMacs G5's

I don't know (i really don't) what other machine is more powerful and so upgradeable as the Mac Pro at the moment... is it about better gaming GPUs?

I even think it's pretty decent from Apple not to upgrade the pro line every 6 months. Once you spend 4/5K and up on a system you don't want to see it go old so quickly.

Ciao

Dreamail

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Beyond
I don't know (i really don't) what other machine is more powerful and so upgradeable as the Mac Pro at the moment...
I know I'm probably the total minority here, but I'm merely waiting for a new Nvidia Quadro card option. Either the 4600 or 5600.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_fx_5600_4600.html
They have shader and C programming features the 4500 just doesn't support (listed in above link).
Unlike what the minor number increase suggests the Nvidia x600 cards really are the first of a new architecture offering a lot more programmability. The 4500 is not a scaled down, slightly slower version, it just doesn't offer these features at all.

Unfortunately for me Nvidia does not sell cards for Macs. Apple is the sole provider for these cards (as they do the drivers).
And unfortunately again Apple only sells Quadro cards together with hardware, i.e. I cannot buy one later to upgrade. I can't (unless I buy another Mac Pro with it).

My only choice is to either wait for Apple to get their proverbial arse moving and provide drivers for the 4600 or 5600 - or go buy an HP workstation.
There is no other option I can see (as I can't afford buying two Mac Pros, just to get to the upgraded Quadro card later).

As a longterm Mac user I am willing to wait a bit, but I can't wait until January. Waiting until October would be hard already. With no new Quadro card from Apple by then I'll have to go with HP.

My bet is still that Apple actually has the card drivers finished, but can't release them because they are OSX 10.5 only - and with the delay of Leopard they shot themselves in the foot with regards to pro graphic card options...

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
I know I'm probably the total minority here, but I'm merely waiting for a new Nvidia Quadro card option. Either the 4600 or 5600.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_fx_5600_4600.html
They have shader and C programming features the 4500 just doesn't support (listed in above link).
Unlike what the minor number increase suggests the Nvidia x600 cards really are the first of a new architecture offering a lot more programmability. The 4500 is not a scaled down, slightly slower version, it just doesn't offer these features at all.

Unfortunately for me Nvidia does not sell cards for Macs. Apple is the sole provider for these cards (as they do the drivers).
And unfortunately again Apple only sells Quadro cards together with hardware, i.e. I cannot buy one later to upgrade. I can't (unless I buy another Mac Pro with it).

My only choice is to either wait for Apple to get their proverbial arse moving and provide drivers for the 4600 or 5600 - or go buy an HP workstation.
There is no other option I can see (as I can't afford buying two Mac Pros, just to get to the upgraded Quadro card later).

You may just get that 4600 or 5600 card.
It is a workstation computer so hopefully Apple will upgrade the workstation card.

As a longterm Mac user I am willing to wait a bit, but I can't wait until January. Waiting until October would be hard already. With no new Quadro card from Apple by then I'll have to go with HP.

No, say it ain't so, don't go to the dark side, bro.
For the bad news, I one of those people who think it will be later than October.
For the good news, I'm no expert.

]My bet is still that Apple actually has the card drivers finished, but can't release them because they are OSX 10.5 only - and with the delay of Leopard they shot themselves in the foot with regards to pro graphic card options...

Yes, I would say it is a good guess that the drivers are finished.
Apple may be waiting for Leopard, but if that were true wouldn't they sell more computers by bringing out the Mac Pro now with a free upgrade to Leopard?
My guess is they are waiting for Intel for a new platform and processor.
I'm also guessing that the Mac Pro will have a new design.

SolidShadow

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
New Brunswick, Canada

I don't see anybody saying that Apple will necessarily drop its prices. Intel is dropping its prices which MAY lead to some reaction by Apple in a few weeks. That doesn't mean people are going to wait forever or that because they choose to wait they don't want/need a fast computer.

Frankly your post makes several assumptions about people who choose to wait, puts them all in one category and then attempts to lampoon them.

Why clearly people who currently own a Mac pro never ever want to see it upgraded so it can remain the best ever forever. I hear the Quicksilver was discontinued years ago. Since it will not be upgraded they should buy one of those at Mac Pro prices. Then they will always be on top.
See I can make such statements too.
Though I only do it here in contrast and don't really mean or believe them.

Dreamail

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Beyond
You may just get that 4600 or 5600 card.
From what I understand, please correct me if I'm wrong, one cannot simply buy the Windows/Linux version and officially download the Mac drivers later. It really has to be the Mac version of the card as only the Mac version has EFI boot capabilities - which only Apple sells and only with a Mac Pro.
Kind of makes sense if you think about it, otherwise Apple would never recover the costs of programming the Mac drivers in the first place.

The Linux version would only ever work booting under Linux via Bootcamp, at which point the Mac is just like any other Linux box. At which point I might as well just buy any other Linux box. :( It gives the same results and is cheaper too...

The real beauty would be to use the card simultaneously on Mac OSX and Linux (via Parallels' virtualisation). But for that it needs to boot into Mac OSX.

I am more than happy to buy a Mac Pro today - if Apple guarantees to sell me a Quadro card later (on its own) as an upgrade. If and when it becomes available. But that's not the case.

The Mac Quadro 4500 was originally released by Apple in October 2005(!)
Perhaps Apple can manage to offer a new pro graphics card at least once every other year...

Apple is just making life difficult with their secrecy. Look at Intel how open they are with their future CPU roadmaps. That's really helpful.

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
From what I understand, please correct me if I'm wrong, one cannot simply buy the Windows/Linux version and officially download the Mac drivers later. It really has to be the Mac version of the card as only the Mac version has EFI boot capabilities - which only Apple sells and only with a Mac Pro.
Kind of makes sense if you think about it, otherwise Apple would never recover the costs of programming the Mac drivers in the first place.

Sorry, buddy, you are talking to the wrong person.
I've heard pros and cons.
I thought EFI was the stumbling block also but others say no.
The only thing I know for sure is I wouldn't take a chance.

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Got to be new MP's no later than october. Right?

No, not necessarily.
There are rumors that Stoakley/Seaburg (platform)(chipset) will arrive in November.
There are rumors that Harpertown will arrive sometime in Q4/2007.

All kinds of rumors, take your pick.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
If someone is asking if they should wait, shouldn't the answer be yes? Because if you couldn't wait because of work, or just a strong desire, you wouldn't.

So unless you NEED a Mac Pro right now for some project or work you NEED to get done, just wait. Obviously you've waited this long and never bought one, just keep going.

Eventually, there will be a new mac pro with TWO THOUSAND AND EIGHT hardware (and prices). So to all comers, I say "yes, you should wait."

Because those who shouldn't wait, probably already ordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.