Wait for penrynn Macbook Pro?

MarsianMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
43
0
I was/am planning on getting a Macbook Pro this Friday when Leopard releases, but I can't decide whether I should wait until January for the Penrynn refresh. Anyone have any ideas on what exactly will change and if it is worth waiting another three months? I have been dying to get a new laptop for the last 3-4 months and only waited because Leopard was coming out, but for the same reason it made little sense to buy an old OS, should I buy the hardware when it is just about to be upgraded?

Oh the indecisive agony....:confused:
 

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
1,152
3
I was/am planning on getting a Macbook Pro this Friday when Leopard releases, but I can't decide whether I should wait until January for the Penrynn refresh. Anyone have any ideas on what exactly will change and if it is worth waiting another three months? I have been dying to get a new laptop for the last 3-4 months and only waited because Leopard was coming out, but for the same reason it made little sense to buy an old OS, should I buy the hardware when it is just about to be upgraded?

Oh the indecisive agony....:confused:
Wait for OS 11.1 and the NEW Super MacBookPro. You will not be disappointed.
 
Comment

triddent222

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
202
0
Somewhere interesting
Wait for OS 11.1 and the NEW Super MacBookPro. You will not be disappointed.
Oh, but why not wait two more months? Surely, Intel's TyrantPlex processors are just around the corner.


To the OP: Buy now If you need it, otherwise, come January, you'll want to wait for the next possible update/upgrade. I have a Santa Rosa MBP and I am completely happy with it.

Cheers
 
Comment

MarsianMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
43
0
What would be the benefit to Penrynn refresh for me as the user? I figured it would be faster (2.4/2.6) but what are the other advantages? Do you think it is likely to get a screen refresh as well?

edit: Thanks for the advice...it's true that it continually gets upgraded. I am just trying to decide if this new upgrade will be "significant" to me or just another upgrade. I am leaning towards getting it now (if that wasn't obvious already :p). My family has been politely waiting for me to get my new laptop so they can jump on my old one; I suppose it is not really polite to keep them waiting indefinitely for the neverending set of upgrades.
 
Comment

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
842
3
Boston, MA
same old adage :apple::

buy if u need
Wait for OS 11.1 and the NEW Super MacBookPro. You will not be disappointed.
Oh, but why not wait two more months? Surely, Intel's TyrantPlex processors are just around the corner.


To the OP: Buy now If you need it, otherwise, come January, you'll want to wait for the next possible update/upgrade. I have a Santa Rosa MBP and I am completely happy with it.

Cheers
It's true, the best advice is to buy when you need it or if you really want it, and to wait if you can wait, as something new will always be on the horizon. But, in this particular situation I think that you should REALLY try to wait if you can. OS X 10.5.1 will take care of any bugs that are initially exposed when leopard is "set loose" (puns are awesome) on the public. Millions of users will expose more than any developer's use has. And I think that Apple's hardware updates are slightly less mysterious now that they are on the Intel path, and Apple seems to want to be the first to buy up every new Intel processor so they can be ahead of the PC. I think you will be very happy if you can wait until February at the latest, and possibly (finger's crossed) as early as December.

-Ado
 
Comment

MarsianMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
43
0
It's true, the best advice is to buy when you need it or if you really want it, and to wait if you can wait, as something new will always be on the horizon. But, in this particular situation I think that you should REALLY try to wait if you can. OS X 11.1 will take care of any bugs that are initially exposed when leopard is "set loose" (puns are awesome) on the public. Millions of users will expose more than any developer's use has. And I think that Apple's hardware updates are slightly less mysterious now that they are on the Intel path, and Apple seems to want to be the first to buy up every new Intel processor so they can be ahead of the PC. I think you will be very happy if you can wait until February at the latest, and possibly (finger's crossed) as early as December.

-Ado
*Confused* I thought OSX 11.1 was a joke...but then you seem somewhat serious about waiting until the hardware refresh. And of course your sig just makes my confusing in relation to your post even worse! So assuming that OSX 11.1 wasn't a joke (which I still think it is) when is the predicted release? Q1 2009? And what functionality is so different that it went up an entire number (from 10 to 11)?
 
Comment

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
1,037
6
London, United Kingdom
FFS!!! I don't mean to be rude but just go out and buy the machine on Friday.
Like seriously...! You want a new Mac. Well go get it so. The current MBP be it 2.2 or 2.4 ghz are plenty fast. Great machines. Sure I'm still using a Core Duo MBP and I still think it's lightening fast.
Keeping up with technology is difficult anyway. Buy it now. It may be replaced in a few months. But thats how it is.
Anywho....
I'm done now :)
 
Comment

machatch

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
162
0
depends
waiting issues

I was/am planning on getting a Macbook Pro this Friday when Leopard releases, but I can't decide whether I should wait until January for the Penrynn refresh. Anyone have any ideas on what exactly will change and if it is worth waiting another three months? I have been dying to get a new laptop for the last 3-4 months and only waited because Leopard was coming out, but for the same reason it made little sense to buy an old OS, should I buy the hardware when it is just about to be upgraded?

Oh the indecisive agony....:confused:

hmmm..Wait if you can.Regarding the macrumors buying guide a new mackbookpro will come before january.
info stated it will come early november sounds right..
the new penryns i'm not so shure about..i want it to bee 2,8 ghz not 2,6(wishful thinking)
But i have read warm issues,bat issues,the processors not fitting the santa rosa yet..regarding the 2.8..
So it's still just rumors..but the upgrade will come. how big? i dont know..:)
 
Comment

mikeheenan

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
303
5
.2 ghz is better than the last upgrade of .07 ghz, but if that's all that's changing it's not that significant and I'd just buy it now if I were you.
 
Comment

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
887
2
If you need it now, buy it. if you can wait, wait. Apple will always be updating there things, and theres always a good time to buy.
 
Comment

Brianstorm91

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
1,366
0
Cambridge, UK
I'm waiting until the Penryn Macbook Pros are out.
I'll get an iBook off eBay to bide my time.
Quietly.
In the corner.
And then I will pounce.
Okay 02:31 is not a reasonable hour to be on mac rumour forums.

:apple:
 
Comment

neversleepalone

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2007
13
0
i've been in the same boat as you for about a month. i currently run the imac g5(pre-built in isight) and to be honest this still runs fine. i am however applying to transfer out of community college and will eventually need a laptop for school, so i'm just banking on the MBP coming out sumtime before august '08. but in all reality i could use this imac for another 1-1.5 years.
 
Comment

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
842
3
Boston, MA
*Confused* I thought OSX 11.1 was a joke...but then you seem somewhat serious about waiting until the hardware refresh. And of course your sig just makes my confusing in relation to your post even worse! So assuming that OSX 11.1 wasn't a joke (which I still think it is) when is the predicted release? Q1 2009? And what functionality is so different that it went up an entire number (from 10 to 11)?
It was a typo, corrected it. I meant 10.5.1.

-Ado
 
Comment

jstad

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2007
119
0
I would say go ahead and buy. Until you start seeing regular rumor posts about an update, it is completely useless to assume anything significant is coming (if even an update is). I can see the January release being nothing more than another speed increase and maybe the 17" MBP getting a LED screen. The only reason I could see waiting is if the graphics card was going to change to something better (which it most likely wont). Other than that, I dont see many reasons (any for that matter) to wait.
 
Comment

waywardsage

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2006
282
0
CA
I would argue the opposite. There are plenty of updates that the new Macbook Pro could have. Check out our extensive thread about it in "realistic macbook pro update".
 
Comment

Rivix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2005
527
0
I'm waiting. There might be something like a redesign. I can handle it.
 
Comment

Bilvox

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
64
0
Boston
my plan...

So I Just got done chatting with an apple store rep and they offered this advice.
Basically you know everything will be updated at some point so really do you wait forever or get what you need when you need it.
They do accept returns within i believe 14 days, so I figure if next Tuesday I get a new macbook pro with leopard installed or with the installation disks for the next two weeks if nothing is released I am good.
Any which way she went on to say I should be very happy doing audio and video and she sees this computer as a well made machine that is "not easy to improve upon such a great laptop". Ha, yet we all have some ideas how to. ;-) haha
Anyways, I say maybe the "Bilvox Plan" is a good one. I have been a good little patient bv... So Tuesday here I come!!!!
best
~bv:apple:
 
Comment

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
1,152
3
So I Just got done chatting with an apple store rep and they offered this advice.
Basically you know everything will be updated at some point so really do you wait forever or get what you need when you need it.
They do accept returns within i believe 14 days, so I figure if next Tuesday I get a new macbook pro with leopard installed or with the installation disks for the next two weeks if nothing is released I am good.
Any which way she went on to say I should be very happy doing audio and video and she sees this computer as a well made machine that is "not easy to improve upon such a great laptop". Ha, yet we all have some ideas how to. ;-) haha
Anyways, I say maybe the "Bilvox Plan" is a good one. I have been a good little patient bv... So Tuesday here I come!!!!
The Penrynn Macbook Pro will be announced the end of January at 2.8GHz. I am waiting until then.
 
Comment

diamond.g

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2007
6,361
321
Virginia
I think it (Penryn) would be most useful with a faster FSB and Memory bus. Supposedly that is happening when the next platform is launched.

Is Apple going to add eSATA ports to the MBP anytime soon? It would be nice if Apple were to actually put either BR or HD DVD in a MBP as it would show who they feel is going to win the "war". The PS3 is only 399 now so the drives have to be cheap enough. Maybe a multi touch mouse pad, that would be cool.

I would advocate waiting, but then the question becomes wait for how long...
 
Comment

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
840
0
MA/GA
if it's just an upgrade to penryn in the next gen mbp, there's not much of a reason to wait. A full overhaul on the other hand, would be worth waiting for. I'm waiting until next summer.
 
Comment

diamond.g

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2007
6,361
321
Virginia
if it's just an upgrade to penryn in the next gen mbp, there's not much of a reason to wait. A full overhaul on the other hand, would be worth waiting for. I'm waiting until next summer.
Well apart from the faster memory bus and faster system bus, no there isn't a whole lot of reason to wait.
 
Comment

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
5,759
37
London
I'm waiting until the Penryn Macbook Pros are out.
I'll get an iBook off eBay to bide my time.
Quietly.
In the corner.
And then I will pounce.
Okay 02:31 is not a reasonable hour to be on mac rumour forums.

:apple:
You all do realize that the Penryn mobile processors won't be out until sometime in the 2nd half of 2008, right?
 
Comment

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
5,212
0
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I'm Thinking 2.6GHz 45nm Penryn 17" Leopard MBP HD Will Complete My Needs

I expect the January 15 SteveNote will introduce the 45nm 2.6GHz Penryn MBP. That's when I'll finally graduate to an Intel MBP from my old PB G4. They're only scheduled to go to 2.8GHz next Fall so that's too far out to wait any longer for me.
 
Comment

Similar threads

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.