Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hrvat810

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
I am on the verge of ordering my new 15inch MBP but am having second thoughts. If I order it today, I will get OSX leopard with it. Should I wait a few months for it to come equipped with snow leopard?

its the only question i have that's stopping me from ordering it. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

rukus

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2009
if you dont 'need' it, are patient, and can afford (non-financial afford) to wait until SL comes out, then by all means wait.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
If you don't mind spending $129 USD in a few months, I would just get your MBP now. If you would like to save that money, then just wait. I am buying my MBP next week and will then buy Snow Leopard whenever it comes out.

MarkSTi04

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2008
Illinois Side of St. Louis, MO
I would buy now. After seeing that 10.5.7 is seeded right now and the release of updated Mac Pro, iMac, and Mac Mini is gonna be really soon, and that 10.6 most likely will not be shipping with them, buying now is possibly the best move for you. 10.6 looks as if its gonna be summer before Apple releases it. This was my only thing that I was waiting on to buy this MBP, but having the cash in hand versus waiting just for the new OS quickly help make my decision.

No matter which way you go you will be happy with your choice. :apple:

hrvat810

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Thank you all for your replies. I have decided to order my macbook pro and upgrade in a few months to SL.

ajohnson253

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
so how does the upgrade to the snow leopard work? I have a new Unibody mbp 2.4 how do i go through with the upgrade. Something i can just purchase from the apple store or something? or does it coming already packaged in the macs when the new release for snow leopard is out?

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
What if Snow Leopard require 8GB of RAM & 2.93Ghz intel core 2 duo minimum?

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
You can purchase it at the Apple Store. I think you basically put in a cd and installs just like that.

derek1984

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2008
Then this would be the list of computers that could run it:

2006 four-core 3.0GHz Mac Pro
2006 eight-core 3.0GHz Mac Pro
2008 3.0 and 3.2GHz Mac Pro
2009 unibody 17" MacBook Pro

So it would be worthless to everyone.

How much space might Snow Leopard take up? How much space does Leopard currently take up? When getting a new OS, is it pretty easy to install?

fn-gm

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2009
Rochdale, Lancashire, UK
I know a friend of a friend who works for Apple and he thinks 10.6 will be out towards the end of this year. There will be not many major features in it to be honest so i would go and get 10.5.

MarkSTi04

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2008
Illinois Side of St. Louis, MO
I know a friend of a friend who works for Apple and he thinks 10.6 will be out towards the end of this year. There will be not many major features in it to be honest so i would go and get 10.5.

I think the most worthy thing about 10.6 is Grand Central and OpenCL. Most of what is in the current OS is great. I will be buying Snow Leopard mostly for those 2 things right there, and for anything else Apple will have improved upon when the time comes. I think the guys at Apple are still making some improvements that will make it into 10.6 and will be updates to the current OS X's that are out.

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
I am on the verge of ordering my new 15inch MBP but am having second thoughts. If I order it today, I will get OSX leopard with it. Should I wait a few months for it to come equipped with snow leopard?

its the only question i have that's stopping me from ordering it. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I hope you didn't order it before today's big Mac updates.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
whats grand centeral?

picard-no-facepalm.jpg

http://www.apple.com/macosx/snowleopard/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.