Wait for the new 13" or sell my 17" now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Clairehsu, Jul 8, 2014.

  1. Clairehsu macrumors newbie

    Clairehsu

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2014
    Location:
    Taipei, Taiwan
    #1
    Hi all,

    I've had my i7/4g/500gb 17" Macbook Pro since mid-2010 and am having someone who wants to buy it for $700, which is not a bad. I was about to sell it and buy a new 13" Macbook Air last week, but after researching more I decided to go for the 13" Macbook Pro. However the new 13" is coming soon with an unknown date. Considering I am the type who always wants the newest stuff, I feel I should wait.

    What do you suggest?
    1. sell 17" now, and buy the new 13" in October (if it launches that time)
    2. sell 17" now, and buy the current 13" model
    3. keep the 17" now and sell again when the new 13" is out - concern: I cannot sell my 17" for $700 at that time.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
     
  2. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Location:
    Belgium
    #2
    The consensus here seems to be that the new models in autumn will be only a minor improvement but nothing revolutionary. Unless you are willing to wait for another year I would say sell it and get the current 13"
     
  3. Martin81 macrumors regular

    Martin81

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Location:
    Germany
    #3
    The difference between your current MBP and the current MBP is much greater than the difference between the current MBP and the upcoming model.
    So from that point you should buy now.

    After the new models are presented, prices for older versions tend to fall. But the interesting question remains, if the new MBP will be cheaper. If the prices remain on the current level and the improvement is only slightly, you are better of the the current version.

    The MBA received a refresh just two or three months ago.
     
  4. Clairehsu thread starter macrumors newbie

    Clairehsu

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2014
    Location:
    Taipei, Taiwan
    #4
    Thanks Martin! Very helpful. My question, do you think, or does anyone think. the 17" price will drop when the new MBP comes out later this year? Or is 17" considered a different story now? If my current 17"'s price remains the same (assuming people will be willing to buy it for $700 later this year), perhaps I should sell later? That's what I'm struggling.

    Thanks again!
     
  5. Martin81 macrumors regular

    Martin81

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Location:
    Germany
    #5
    Yeah, that's a good question. 17'' screensize isn't available anymore. Could be, that the prize remains constant.

    If sold my previous two MacBook's on eBay. I've monitored the prices for 4-6 weeks and sold after the refresh. Prices dropped slightly, but both have been 13'' MacBooks.

    To be honest: I don't know much about price development for 17'' MBP.

    But: Do you think that there are huge advantages with a refreshed MBP?

    How about SuperDrive? Do you need that? In that case you should probably buy know, because chances are high, that the non retina MBP is discontinued.
     
  6. Clairehsu thread starter macrumors newbie

    Clairehsu

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2014
    Location:
    Taipei, Taiwan
    #6
    Hi Martin,

    Actually the main reason I'm getting MBP over MBA is due to the screen. I don't need a drive nor long lasting battery. I mainly use it at home for casual stuff and occasionally take it with me for short vacations overseas. Originally I wanted a MBA is because of its lightweight, but the 13" model is not really that "light" so I went for the amazing Retina.

    Thanks again!
     
  7. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #7
    I'd say sell the 17" now and buy one now. We really don't know when the new models will be out, but I think if I were to hazard a guess it would be 4Q 2014 or 1Q 2015
     
  8. Martin81 macrumors regular

    Martin81

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2013
    Location:
    Germany
    #8
    So you are going for the MBPr 13'' and not the ''classic'' MBP 13''?

    To be honest: I would probably buy now. What if there aren't any new MBPr by October? Then you are in the same dilemma: Buy now or wait and your MBP 17'' could be less worth.
     
  9. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

    Steve121178

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Bedfordshire, UK
    #9
    There will be no Broadwell MBP update this year but don't rule out a minor Haswell bump.
     
  10. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #10
    Has intel released an updated schedule?
     
  11. capathy21 macrumors 65816

    capathy21

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Location:
    Houston, Texas
    #11
    Sell the 17 now and buy the current 13 retina MBP. It is a great machine and as previously stated, any new releases this year will most likely be slight spec bumps to which you will never notice a difference in day to day usage.

    Which model 13 are you looking at buying?
     
  12. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

    SPNarwhal

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2009
    Location:
    illinois
    #12
    17" hold their value in a sense. I mean. You can always list it and stress the fact that it's discontinued, and in time (later) it would be even more rare of a thing la la la. Most people don't see that i7 has generations, rather than it's just an i7 and that's what they still use. issue is that your 2010 model is a dual core i7, while every model after yours is a quad. there's that nice 150 off coupon floating around, so maybe that will influence and make your decision easier
     
  13. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #13
  14. Clairehsu thread starter macrumors newbie

    Clairehsu

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2014
    Location:
    Taipei, Taiwan
    #14
    Hi what 150 off coupon thing is that? Sounds interesting. Good point on the 17" but I live in Asia (Taiwan), and people tend to think the 17" is WAY too heavy. It's been an issue when I tried to sell it before.

    Anyways...I guess I'm more concerned about the value if I go buy the 2013 MBP that's in the market now. Even if it's just a slight update later this year, the 2014 tag will make it higher $ when I sell it in the future? Just wondering...

    Thank you all again!!

    ----------

    Hi, I'll probably get the top end 13" due to the HD space. I have too many photos and I'm not a big fan of cloud or external storage.

    Thanks!
     
  15. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

    Steve121178

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Bedfordshire, UK
    #15
    The only Broadwell CPU's to be released this year are a few chips from the Y series range. These are very low power chips aimed at tablets and in theory could be used in a new ultra skinny fanless notebook such as a new 12" MBA.

    Broadwell Mobile & Desktop CPU's (such as those inside the MacBook Pro/iMac) are not due until Q1/Q2 2015.

    Of course you can never rule anything out...
     
  16. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #16
    MR posted a news story shortly after I posted my question regarding broadwell, so all signs are pointing to a 2015 roll out of broadwell.
     
  17. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

    Steve121178

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Bedfordshire, UK
    #17
    Heh, just seen that post. I've been saying what's just been posted for the last 6 months... ;)
     

Share This Page