n198ua

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
14
0
Earth
I was so hoping the new 16” would be accounted at WWDC but oh well. I’m wondering if I should upgrade now to the current 16”. I’d be upgrading from at 2014 MBP. All I really use it for is work stuff, Microsoft Apps, Browsing, and email. I can’t remember the last time I ran video and encoded it, but its been years. So - just upgrade to the current 16 or wait. ?
 

leman

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2008
13,599
9,265
Why do you need a 16"? From your usage it sounds like a MacBook Air would suffice. At any rate, there is very little reason to buy a 16" model now. Once the ARM models will come out (and I don't think it will take too long at this point), the value of the Intel 16" will drop hard.
 
Comment

Racco151

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2020
6
11
Why do you need a 16"? From your usage it sounds like a MacBook Air would suffice.

- Personally I like the bigger screen. Ofc a smaller Laptop would do the Job, but I can understand his decision.

I would actually wait. Imo the current MBPs 16" with Intel have to much thermal problems + for ur describes usage, the better Battery management and the M1 Chip would make the experience much better.
 
Comment

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
172
285
I'd wait OP if you can. There is no doubt going to be some type of update this year and it should be within the next few months (we all hope).
 
Comment

svish

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2017
646
978
You can wait and see. By October, new Macbook Pro 16" could be launched.
 
Comment

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
11,009
4,783
US
General advice in any computer buying decision:

If you're asking if you should wait for an upcoming model, that suggests you don't really need to do anything right now and can wait. Just don't get in the trap of always waiting for some rumored next new thing. Also don't let impatience push you into buying something that doesn't fit your needs.
 
Last edited:
Comment

Jemi9OD

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
245
67
Durham, NC
Unless you have a use case that specifically requires an intel processor, I would not buy an Intel Mac at this time.

If you require a 16" laptop, wait for the update. If you do not require a 16" laptop, don't buy the 16" Intel Pro, but rather either of the M1 offerings.

Age old advice is buy what you need, when you need it. Don't wait for whatever's on the horizon because then you'll always be waiting. If the M1 16" Pro is 6-9 months away, that's 6-9 months you could be using an M1 Air with significantly better performance than your 2014 machine.

There is an additional benefit that I guarantee the M1 Air will be substantially cheaper than the 16" M1 Pro. And it already performs near-or-above the 16" Intel MBP.
 
Comment

mrt.plt

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2015
89
47
Montreal, Canada
I was in the same dilemma a couple of days ago. I really needed a computer, and it needed to be a Mac.
I ended up buying a second-hand 2019 16" base MBP for half the MSRP. It has 26 months left on AppleCare and 99 battery cycles. You could consider something like that, as you can always sell it (for pretty much the same price you bought it for) when the new ones come out if you want to.
 
Comment

SomeMacGuy

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
67
78
Nova Scotia
I was in the same boat. I was hell-bent on skipping the touch-bar gen entirely and had a 2015 rMBP to ride it out with but I caved and bought an 8-core, 16GB / 1TB MacBook Air for now.
 
Comment

R.T.J.

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2021
20
21
I was so hoping the new 16” would be accounted at WWDC but oh well. I’m wondering if I should upgrade now to the current 16”. I’d be upgrading from at 2014 MBP. All I really use it for is work stuff, Microsoft Apps, Browsing, and email. I can’t remember the last time I ran video and encoded it, but its been years. So - just upgrade to the current 16 or wait. ?
Upgrade to the current, is your best option. Nobody knows when the next ones will come out.
 
  • Like
Reactions: David G.
Comment

jk73

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2012
739
301
Upgrade to the current, is your best option. Nobody knows when the next ones will come out.

Not really true. We know they’re coming. Only question is if it will be July or October. Waiting three months is nothing if it means not spending $3,000 on outdated architecture. Apple silicon is the future. (Hell, Apple silicon is the present, what with Monterey requiring Apple silicon for many features.)
 
Last edited:
Comment

calstanford

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2014
939
2,928
Hong Kong
Honestly Apple should finally offer a 15 (or even 16") version of the Air. Many people don't need the weight/size/power/graphics etc etc of the Pro, but just want a bigger screen for their Excel sheets or web browsing or photo editing work or to watch videos. None of that needs the power of the 16" MBP
 
Comment

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
1,519
299
I have the mid-2014 15" rMBP and I'm thinking of getting the new Apple Silicon 16" if it really amazes me and the feedback on it from real users is good or probably waiting for compromises and issues in the first gen to get sorted in the 2nd or 3rd gen. The 2014 can run Big Sur which will still get security updates for a little over 2 years from now, so it's not like there is a rush to have to get a new MBP straight away.
 
Comment

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
1,824
778
Not really true. We know they’re coming. Only question is if it will be July or October. Waiting three months is nothing if it means not spending $3,000 on outdated architecture. Apple silicon is the future. (Hell, Apple silicon is the present, what with Monterey requiring Apple silicon for many features.)

Silicon as you put it will also quickly become outdated…just wait a few years and see
 
Comment

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
1,519
299
Silicon as you put it will also quickly become outdated…just wait a few years and see
A 2021/2022 Apple Silicon is far more likely to still be able to run the latest version of Mac OS come late 2024 than the currently shipping latest 16" Intel rMBP. Whilst it will become outdated unless your use case needs Intel, the AS will likely be a better machine to have if your the kind of person who buys a Mac and keeps it for as long as you can before getting a new one, rather than someone who gets a new one every few years.
 
Comment

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
1,824
778
A 2021/2022 Apple Silicon is far more likely to still be able to run the latest version of Mac OS come late 2024 than the currently shipping latest 16" Intel rMBP. Whilst it will become outdated unless your use case needs Intel, the AS will likely be a better machine to have if your the kind of person who buys a Mac and keeps it for as long as you can before getting a new one, rather than someone who gets a new one every few years.
To each his own…I don’t agree with you at all. The OP by his own admission doesn’t require “silicon“ architecture.
 
Comment

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
1,519
299
To each his own…I don’t agree with you at all. The OP by his own admission doesn’t require “silicon“ architecture.
I hope I'm wrong and I will probably buy more Intel Macs personally because of some legacy software and that Intel Macs can run x64 Windows. However we've already seen a number of Intel Macs dropped with Monterey and already a number of new features are being restricted to Apple Silicon Macs. PowerPC was dropped quickly by Apple when they transitioned to Intel so if past history is any guide Apple swiftly moving to only providing security updates for Intel Macs is not out of the question.

If you are buying to hold a machine for 7 years you need to consider not only what will meet your needs today but which will appear to be better for you in say 5 years time.
 
  • Like
Reactions: rhinosrcool
Comment

cardfan

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2012
3,070
3,994
All I can say is I’m good with latest mbp 16 for quite the while. Does everything I need. Can boot windows. Runs parallels. Egpu. Don’t care about apple silicon for mother 3-5 years. If apple had released one at wwdc I couldn’t buy because lack of software and compatibility.
 
Comment

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
759
430
My prediction has been that the dazzling pro-level Mac event will come in October, introducing the higher-end MacBook Pro, iMac ("Pro"?), and Mac Pro or higher-end Mac mini.

The current 16" MacBook Pro will probably last you for years, and it might not be a big deal if you only use it for what you mentioned. The case for waiting: the performance will undoubtedly be better, the overall future-proof-ness will be even higher, and there are already smaller macOS features which are only making it to Apple Silicon Macs because of their integrated custom processors (e.g. Portrait Mode in FaceTime calls).
 
Comment

cardfan

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2012
3,070
3,994
Not really true. We know they’re coming. Only question is if it will be July or October. Waiting three months is nothing if it means not spending $3,000 on outdated architecture. Apple silicon is the future. (Hell, Apple silicon is the present, what with Monterey requiring Apple silicon for many features.)

Meaningless features. Heck I’m still on Catalina for my mbp. And Mohave for iMac. Updating macOS is asking for stuff to not work. I only update macOS (besides the minor updates). if I have to or with a new mac.

Have a m1 mini to screw around with latest macOS versions. It’s more for the kids tho.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.