Wait for Tiger 10.4? Will Apple give recent orders free upgrade?

chan0429

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
19
0
This is my first time ordering a Mac; I just ordered a Mac mini and found out that I get to pay for major upgrades (one coming out soon). Do I wait a few months for "Tiger" (I heard end of March) to save $129? Or do you think that Apple would have pitty on me and give me a free upgrade? Anyone have experience with this?
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
It's actually posted in about 128 threads, you get a $19.95 upgrade if you get a machine the day of (or after) "The New OS is Shipping on x day/month" announcement.

Anything else costs you $129 to get Apple to have pity on you and cough up the new OS.
 

chan0429

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
19
0
Any idea when they'll be making the announcement?

Sun Baked said:
It's actually posted in about 128 threads, you get a $19.95 upgrade if you get a machine the day of (or after) "The New OS is Shipping on x day/month" announcement.

Anything else costs you $129 to get Apple to have pity on you and cough up the new OS.
Just kidding, I know such things are shrowded in secrecy... I heard about the Amazon fiasco where they posted that orders would ship on March 31st (something like that). I hope they make it soon. I've already submitted my plea to customer support via the order status web page... I guess we'll see. I hope they make an announcement soon.

Thanks for the quick response.
 

lsfz88

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2005
12
0
Is the tiger going to be only on eMacs or on thw notebooks too? I am planning to buy a powerbk soon, so shall i wait or not?
 

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
2,245
38
lsfz88 said:
Is the tiger going to be only on eMacs or on thw notebooks too? I am planning to buy a powerbk soon, so shall i wait or not?
The tiger will be prowling on all of Apple's current computers. :D

If you can wait, I would. If not, it will be worth the $129.
 

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
3,054
0
What's Your Favorite Posish
any ideas on how much tiger will be in the uk?

its not really going to concern me because i am going to get a new comp after it is released, that way it saves me the cost. just thoght others might like to know?
 

madrobby

macrumors regular
May 3, 2003
115
6
Daham
My personal assumption is Tiger (in stores "now") and Powerbook G5s ("august" or so) are announced in June at WWDC. So much for the "recent" orders.

Because I can't image anything special about PowerMac updates, they will be there sooner, maybe February or March?

We'll see eventually.
 

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
2,881
0
dferrara said:
The tiger will be prowling on all of Apple's current computers. :D

If you can wait, I would. If not, it will be worth the $129.
Will the new OS come with all the machines straight away or will it be like iLife that many of them still go with iLife 04 not 05 :confused:
 

madrobby

macrumors regular
May 3, 2003
115
6
Daham
Platform said:
Will the new OS come with all the machines straight away or will it be like iLife that many of them still go with iLife 04 not 05 :confused:
Only if they invented a way to magically alter the contents of harddisks in already packaged products... :rolleyes:
 

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
657
0
The Ocean Floor
Tiger will probably retail for £99 in the UK, as did Panther when it was released (I think) But I'm hoping that I will be able to get it for £69 with my educational discount. :)
 

benwa02

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2004
288
0
how far in advance does apple normally say for releases? 2 Months before shipping.......?
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,570
0
benwa02 said:
how far in advance does apple normally say for releases? 2 Months before shipping.......?
If Steve does it the same way as with Panther, then it may just be a matter of weeks. Looking forward to a Tiger release party also. If you purchase Tiger at the retail Apple Store then Mac products are 10% off. Took advantage of this with Panther. I think I would hold off on a purchase at this point until WWDC.
 

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
4,167
23
Lincoln,UK
you know i'm realy looking forward to tiger and i will not mind spending £99 for it either! quicktime 7 looks FANTASTIC does anyone know if this is a seperate app? or is this built into the OS ?

rock on tommy :D
 

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
3,809
0
I think tiger just went from alpha to beta .... recently, I think panther spent a whole summer in beta b4 release so I would be guessing june too
 

chan0429

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
19
0
When is WWDC 2005?

wdlove said:
I think I would hold off on a purchase at this point until WWDC.
When is WWDC 2005 scheduled? I already have an order in the system. My plea last night (er.. this morning) came back with an automated response, something to do with not commenting on rumors about decisions, products, programs, or promotions that Apple has not officially announced. Yeah... so my new question is does anyone know if I used the 90 days same as cash offer this time (I think I'm going to cancel my order), if I could use it later?
 

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
616
0
chan, is there a particular feature of Tiger you feel is critically important in this case? Because I wouldn't count on the March date. Could happen, but so could you waiting a very long time to get the Mini you want.
 

chan0429

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
19
0
mcgarry said:
chan, is there a particular feature of Tiger you feel is critically important in this case? Because I wouldn't count on the March date. Could happen, but so could you waiting a very long time to get the Mini you want.
There kind of is, the "automator", spotloght, RSS in Safari. And I just don't want to have to spend $129 that I could spend on a USB MIDI keyboard instead or even have done the CPU upgrade (I got the 1.25 because I didn't think the 170 Mhz + 40 GB were worth $100).
 

billystlyes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2004
569
6
My bet is Tiger first week of May.

My bet is Tiger first week of May. Hey May 6th is my Birthday! Really though my new Mini 1.42 had some coupons in it but I know in the end I'll have to cough out 100 bucks for Tiger. They won't give any deals. If your not a early adopter right now no matter what Mac computer you want you should probably wait for Tiger.
 

Nomad

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2005
16
0
i just ordered my mini last thursday from microcenter.. my first mac. ( been using pc's since i was 8)

anyways, i have been reading about tiger a bit, and i am really liking what i see, except for the speculation that i could come out after may 6.

may 7 the school stoe closes, and i dont get an educational discount! :(

heres hoping for an april release. :D
 

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
3,936
165
Madison
The bottom line

The facts are that no one here really knows when Tiger will be released. Any info we can give you just our own assumptions based on what we have experienced in the past. Trying to play the guessing game that you are playing is a big gamble. If you can wait for Tiger, (and pe prepared to wait untill Summer) then you will get more for your money in the way of computer. If you need it now, then expect to pay the upgrade $$$. The guessing game you're trying to play is like spinning your tires in the mud.
 

Bangpow

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2005
56
0
Dearborn, MI
what's usually the cost to update from the current OS to a new one??

For example, to update Windows 98 to XP was like $100, but i see that OS X is $129 straight up! So, is the update from Panther to Tiger gonna be that much?
 

tdhurst

macrumors 601
Dec 27, 2003
4,003
101
Phoenix, AZ
Come on...

Jaguar was $129, Panther was $129...see a pattern? I amazes me that people can spend thousands of dollars on an a new mac and than complain about spending an extra $130 (which, to be honest, isn't required because it's not like your panther equipped mac will stop working when Tiger hits the shelves).

So...my point here is...buy a mac now if you need it...and quit worrying about upgrade costs. Think of the fact that you don't have to buy any antivirus software. The cost would be about the same...
 

Bangpow

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2005
56
0
Dearborn, MI
So basically you just have to buy the brand new OS, there's no discounted upgrade cost??

That's fine, $129 for a new OS isn't bad at all considering some of music software is upwards of $300.