Wait for WWDC or Not?

jman4445

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2017
2
0
So I got a 13inch MBP with touch bar with upgraded ram to 16 gb from the apple refurb store for $1699. And literally the day I got it, I read online (ironically on the new machine) that Apple might be updating its MBP line with Kabylake processors. Assuming they keep the prices of the new MBPs w/Kabylake the same a new one with upgraded ram like this will cost me $1999 + some extra tax.

Essentially, the issue is do I keep the refurb or return it and wait for the new Kabylake processors Macs?

I do some video editing but not much in 4K although that could change in the future? I also like the optionality of maybe being able to use my laptop with external display to watch stuff (e.g., Netflix) in 4K which I understand you can't do with the Skylake MBPs everywhere (e.g., Netflix). Are there any other differences? Is it worth it to wait or should I just stick with this current MBP?
 

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
574
314
California
If you can wait, then wait. Are they actually releasing new computers or are they announcing computers for release later in the year? i couldn't be happier with my 2016 TB and wouldn't trade it for what some were saying is a slight bump that the kabylake gives.
 

turbineseaplane

macrumors 603
Mar 19, 2008
6,152
9,147
Are they actually releasing new computers or are they announcing computers for release later in the year?
If I had to wager it'll be something minor that bumps the specs and maybe refines some aspects and ships within a couple weeks. It's hard to believe it'd be anything too major (at least for the laptops - iMacs might be something different)
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: JPNFRK7

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
1,784
419
Chicago
It's never a good idea to buy before announcements.

1. A new version might come out and you might want to have the latest specs.

2. If a new version comes out and you're "ok" with the old one, you can get an even better deal and save a few hundred more bucks buying the clearance item.

3. No new version is announced, in which case you just buy the same thing you'd buy now, no loss there.

There's no downsides to waiting (other than the wait itself) and many upsides. So wait.
 

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
2,310
1,155
If they do release a new one at WWDC, are you willing to pay $400 more for a system that may have marginal CPU/iGPU/battery upgrades?
If not, is it worth waiting another 4-8 months for the next generation to start showing up as refurbs?
 

Ma2k5

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2012
2,473
2,418
London
As with all tech, if you can wait, I'd wait. If it would be a huge detriment by not having one now, then buy.
[doublepost=1495182436][/doublepost]
If they do release a new one at WWDC, are you willing to pay $400 more for a system that may have marginal CPU/iGPU/battery upgrades?
If not, is it worth waiting another 4-8 months for the next generation to start showing up as refurbs?
There is nothing to suggest it would be $400 more right. Also, OP could buy current gen as refurb if OP doesn't want the new ones after they have been released - and OP won't have to wait 4-8 months for that.
 

jman4445

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2017
2
0
It's never a good idea to buy before announcements.

1. A new version might come out and you might want to have the latest specs.

2. If a new version comes out and you're "ok" with the old one, you can get an even better deal and save a few hundred more bucks buying the clearance item.

3. No new version is announced, in which case you just buy the same thing you'd buy now, no loss there.

There's no downsides to waiting (other than the wait itself) and many upsides. So wait.
Great points. I think I know I should wait but it sucks to have to give back the laptop when I just got it :/ Thanks for the second opinion all!
 

deconstruct60

macrumors G3
Mar 10, 2009
8,989
1,819
Great points. I think I know I should wait but it sucks to have to give back the laptop when I just got it :/ Thanks for the second opinion all!
I'm not sure if there is a "restocking" fee for refurb or not, but the cost off purchasing new and the fact that you already had it I don't think were covered very well above.

1. There is no guarantee that refurbs will be around if you send this one back. ( If it is pretty mainstream config there is a good chance, but this not really a 'order what you want' system.). Buying brand new (non refurb) is going to be higher. ... Is the more money worth it (and any costs of sending it back)? It wasn't worth it a couple of days ago.


2. The gap between Gen 6 and Gen 7 is mostly just incrementally better battery life, a very minor speed bump, and some 4K HDR video decoding features.
i. talking like perhaps the touch bar model last as long as the function key model. Apple tagged both of them at 10 hours. It isn't several hours range. It will probably 'race to sleep' a little bit faster than current mode. [ long sustained workloads won't see a significant difference. ]


ii. it is clocked a bit higher. Might see 2-8% better in spots. Nothing life changing. This is more just "Keeping up with the Jones" ( Microsoft is refreshing their laptop/tablet line up. And pointing fingers at Mac laptops as being stale. )

iii. The online streaming folks don't even have firm grip on how to do 4K at scale... 4K HDR ...

There is probably no revolution coming. It is probably even a very constrained evolution. These bumps are more aimed at folks with much older Mac/PC laptops and those comparing across Mac/PC options. ( there is a flurry of PC options launching over next 10-12 days at Computex convention and earlier this Spring. Dell XPS speed bumped. HP Elite speed bumped. etc. ).

If you buy new from Apple there is a two week windows where can get them to bump you to the new version if you want. Refurbs that probably isn't true.
 

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
2,310
1,155
As with all tech, if you can wait, I'd wait. If it would be a huge detriment by not having one now, then buy.
[doublepost=1495182436][/doublepost]

There is nothing to suggest it would be $400 more right. Also, OP could buy current gen as refurb if OP doesn't want the new ones after they have been released - and OP won't have to wait 4-8 months for that.
Sorry - I did not mean a $400 increase - I mean $400 more to buy it brand new if they are not willing to wait for the refurbs (since the OP just purchased a refurb), which this cycle took a super long time to release between the point of new sale and point of refurb sale.
 

hajime

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2007
6,018
829
I went to an Apple Store today. Nobody was trying out their laptops nor iMac. Only a few kids were playing the iPad. Should have taken a photo to show you all.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.