Wait in Line or Buy iPad 3 on Craigslist ???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MS2083, Mar 13, 2012.

1. MS2083 macrumors regular

if you were in line for the iPad 3 this Friday, and the Employees then say their Stock is Depleted/Sold Out! would you take your chances on a paying a high premium for one on Craigslist or wait 3 weeks ??

2. WLS macrumors 65816

I'd wait until the next week and more product gets delivered. I doubt there will be a three week wait in the US for retailers.

3. number84 macrumors 6502

Yah, just keep checking your local big box stores too...and if you can, go before most others get off work/school. i remember for the ipad 2 i walked into a Best Buy 2 on the Tuesday after the release and they had a bunch just come in. A lot of it is luck and perseverance.

4. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

Wait, definitely. I would NEVER buy from those craigslist imbeciles.:p

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It kinda depends how much disposable income I'm willing to blow on this...

6. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

gba

if i was a total baller id fly some hot girl to my house and have it delivered.

7. preston181 macrumors member

I would NEVER buy something that expensive on Craig's List, even if the seller was only charging a small amount more than retail. With the risk of being scammed, mugged, or worse; I'd consider waiting in line or waiting a couple weeks a small price to pay to have peace of mind, a receipt for returns/exchanges, and my personal safety somewhat more assured.

I personally pre-ordered at Apple's site, and don't feel a bit of remorse about it: I won't have to deal with lines, sold-out stock, fights over the availability, losing sleep/work/time waiting, or all the other things that come with trying to get a hot product.

8. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Heh I sold my iPad 2 on craigslist and had no problems. Just meet in a public place, you don't even have to give your name. Count the cash or check the product. Pretty easy to tell if an iPad 3 is legit.

That said theres no way Im paying a premium to get one off craigslist. Ill wait if I cant get one friday. Besides Bestbuy puts you on a reserve list if you don't get one and I doubt that will be weeks if you waited in line.

9. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

I am going to share some of my tips.

FIRST: Craigslist can be dangerous no matter how careful you are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJYGIIEuyDk

Meeting in daylight in a public place means nothing.

SECOND: Try Radio Shack, and other small retailers some do not think to try. Look during the week when most people work.

THIRD: Make friends with employees of the store, the ones that like TIPS for TIPS.

10. preston181 macrumors member

This guy is spot on with the first tip. You can do everything right, and still be a victim. It's just not worth the risk. In my state, (Ohio), people were murdered when simply responding to a CL ad for a farm hand job.

There are other safer ways to get an iPad. I'd go the route of this guy's other tips.

11. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Give me a break. I've dealt with people on Craigslist many times. I always meet people in a busy Starbucks. The chances of somebody mugging like happened in this video are extremely remote. You could get mugged just as easily coming out of an Apple store or on you way in to an Apple store.

Just use good common sense and there is nothing to worry about.

Of course, you have to consider what area you meet in. Maybe that was a rough area of Houston.

12. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

You can think /do whatever you want but people get robbed everywhere. But when you go on somewhere like craigslist you are on a forum where crooks target you to be there next victim.

People get there iPads stolen at coffee shops too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1DTsOhnFQY

Being in a rough part of Houston has nothing to do with it because you are guessing. The victim meet them at a public, and popular restaurant during the day. It would not matter where he would meet them criminals are brazen. They beat him down in the doorway come on.

13. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Man, it must be rough in the States, I walk around with a bag full of expensive gear, and have never been successfully mugged.

People have tried, and I usually talk them out of it, or in a couple of cases, smack them in the mouth and run like mad.

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

In some areas in the US that would earn you several rounds of 9mm lead bullets in your skull. Just sayin...

15. Recon73 macrumors newbie

I would wait. I would never buy off of Craigslist.

16. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

Thank God for the 2nd amendment!!!

17. citivolus macrumors 6502a

what about meeting someone from Craigslist in a bank? security cameras abound and you get to verify the cash is real.

18. M5RahuL macrumors 68030

M5RahuL

I usually meet people [ buying or selling from CL ] at USPS, banks or Police Stations!!

Malls are okay too, just never go alone.. or at least have a friend or two watching the transaction from a safe, yet reachable, distance should anything go sour. If meeting in a mall, never meet at the entrance!!

Common sense is all it takes to be safe.. However, ultimately, in rare circumstances things can still go bad! But, you can't live in fear!

19. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Does not matter where you meet someone no where is 100% safe. Also most police stations are not going to let you sell your products inside, but it wouldn't matter anyways because they can follow you.

I agree don't live in fear but be smart. Selling hot products that grab the attention of crooks on craigslit is not the smartest thing. Put a steak necklace on and jump in a hunger lions cage. Not a good idea.

20. calvy macrumors 65816

So this happened while other diners watched? And this being Houston, I should believe no one had a gun on them besides the crooks?

I carry a gun when I make craigslist sales.

21. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

People are scared but they slowed that tape down it happened fast. Not to mention I have seen the full video he had no time to draw a gun as they blind sided him from the back.

22. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I think this whole topic is just ridiculous. Thousands of people sell stuff off of Craigslist everyday safe and sound. If you scour the news archives you can come up with a few horror stories, probably can count all of the serious ones on one hand.

Use common sense and it's safe. There's more of a chance of getting hit on the tuchas by a meteor than getting robbed meeting somebody in a public place to sell something, period.

I'm sure people have been robbed having garage sales. Are you going to lock yourself up in the house and never come out. Sometimes people get carjacked driving down the street. Are you going to stop driving (which happens to be the most dangerous thing we do, far more dangerous than the one-in-a-million chance somebody might mug you in broad daylight in a public place)?

The media always makes a big deal about these rare occurrences and issue an ominous warning about it as if there's some major problem going on.

We do things every day that are far more likely to result in harm.

23. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Hey!

Im one of those... :mad:

24. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

I carry everywhere legally allowed. Unless that's me on the floor, I'm not using my weapon. It's just not worth the risk.
    So to answer your question, yes, there may have been people carrying, but you can't blame them for not getting involved if so.

My mantra, be a good witness and call 911 (unless it's my life directly threatened.) Carrying for protection/self defense doesn't make you a police officer.

25. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

If you find it ridiculous why keep replying? The result is this is not a debate we are just sharing information. If you think your right, live your life how you want. I am sharing things that do happen. Last year Craigslist was linked to 12 deaths. Everyday hundreds of crimes happen on Craigslist from Fraud, Theft, Assault, Prostitution and more. If you do not believe the facts ask your local law enforcement. Most crimes are not even reported.

By your account because everything is dangerous we should not be careful and understand our risks? Planes don’t get hijacked often that does keep people from taken precautions to stopping it. Well that’s your opinion not ours.