Wait or buy rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lightuser333, Oct 29, 2014.

  1. lightuser333 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2014
    #1
    So I know that there is the macbook pro retina 2015 model with broadwell chips coming out soon, maybe in early to mid 2015, and then there is the skylake chips coming out in early to mid 2016. Should I wait and get the macbook pro with skylake or should i only wait 3-4 months and get the broadwell macbook pro?

    Thanks!
     
  2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2010
    #2
    You should wait until 2017....:D

    Considering little to nothing is known about the skylake chips....if you need a new rMBP now, get it. If you can wait until they're released with the broadwell chips, wait. Speculating as to what might be a year and a half (or more) from now is silly.
     
  3. rmackner macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2014
    #3
    With that mindset you will be playing the waiting game forever. Every year apple will release something new that your old device doesn't have that make you quite sad. Just try to buy your devices 1-2 months after release. And remember the rMBP's internals CAN NOT be upgraded at all.
     
  4. lightuser333 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2014
  5. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2010
    Location:
    I come from a land down-under...
    #5
    Broadwell rMBP 15 might arrive Sep/Oct 2015

    Just bear in mind that the Broadwell H CPUs for the rMBP 15 may arrive in July, and that Apple could take 2-3 months to update their product line, which might be Sep/Oct 2015.

    The Broadwell U series chips for the rMBP 13 should be sooner - I think they will be released Jan/Feb 15, so you could have a refreshed rMBP 13 in May/June.

    I've decided to get a Haswell rMBP 15 now, and wait until Skylake (or it's successors) before considering an update.
     
  6. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2008
    #6
    Anyone know the memory speed for Broadwell?

    Is it going to be significantly more than the 1600 MHz DDR3L that is currently shipping?
     
  7. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2010
    #7
    It'll be ten times faster - really! :p

    Seriously....no one knows because the spec's haven't been released yet.
     
  8. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2008
    #8
    OK.

    Googling around it looks like Broadwell supports DDR4, but it's not clear if the notebook versions will.
     
  9. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

    AustinIllini

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2011
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #9
    90% of the time, the answer is to wait.

    Usually if you need a device, you know and don't have to ask.
     
  10. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2008
    #10
    OP is planning to wait anyway, just trying to figure out how long. :D
     
  11. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

    AustinIllini

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2011
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #11
    Oh yeah, i reread. You're right.

    Sorry, OP. No matter what you choose, the rMBP will be a huge improvement. I would buy what you need when you can't deal anymore. Haswells are good. Broadwells should be a battery improvement for sure. If you're considering Skylake, you probably don't actually need a new computer for a while.
     
  12. queshy macrumors 68040

    queshy

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2005
    #12
    Just buy now

    I've been following apple products for years

    its very rare that people regret buying once they see the update that comes out...

    there's always something better around the corner

    the most important thing is that the current machines are truly fantastic

    enjoy :)
     
  13. ColdShadow macrumors 6502a

    ColdShadow

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2013
    #13
    Waiting only makes sense when you are very close to an update,I don't think we will see the Broadwell rMBPs sooner than summer of 2015.that's a good 7 months.
    I'd buy the current 2014 rMBP.
     
  14. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

    AustinIllini

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2011
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #14
    I agree. Buy the current one.
     
  15. lightuser333 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2014
    #15
    Ok, I will buy the current one!

    Thanks for the help!
     
  16. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

    fab5freddy

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2007
    Location:
    Heaven or Hell
    #16
    i think you should wait to buy right before you retire,
    that way you could save alot of money :))
     
  17. puke macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2007
    Location:
    Sweden
    #17
    Just got my 2014 15" rMBP maxed out and a thunderbolt display aswell as the trackpad/wireless keyboard. Wow, it's a BEAST. :)
     
  18. lightuser333 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2014
    #18
    I am a student so...., I don't retire, lol
     
  19. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2009
    #19
    the only reason why I'm waiting is I'm seriously thinking there will be a redesign. If broadwell brings about the graphical advances that intel and rumors are claiming and if Apple decides to part with dGPU forever (seeing how the 750M is still not updated to the 850M), I'd imagine Apple can get away with a thinner profile a la MBA.

    Also thinking that Apple may consider a 4K display for the rMBP as well.
     
  20. sholzer macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2013
    #20
    Even if there is a redesign, you're going to then want to wait until they get fix any bugs or issues related to new redesign, then you might as well wait until they upgrade the internals, then wait because a new generation of chip is coming out... etc etc.

    Just get it now and be happy
     
  21. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2009
    #21
    ya by all means get it now if you need it.

    although i'm really against the argument about "fixing bugs" related to new redesign. Apple is more than responsible enough for you to not worry. There hasn't been a failed product launch that I can think of.
     
  22. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2009
    #22
    pffft, you didn't max out the SSD :p

    Seriously OP, I'd buy now. You've got at least 5 months IMO before an update, and Puke is right, the current 15" is a beast.
     
  23. Woochoo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2014
    #23
    If you really need it or can't wait buy now, otherwise wait 1 year. Why? because in 1 year there'll be Skylake which won't be just a "5-10% performance update" like it's been with Ivy, Haswell (and Broadwell in the near future), but a huge leap + Thunderbolt 3 + USB C for sure (if they don't release it with Broadwell). So if you can wait, wait a some more months, if you can't, buy now, but I wouldn't wait for Broadwell.

    Nothing? Well, Intel recently did their "Keynote" and they said actively and passively in all ways that they'd release Skylake in 2015 Q4 and there wouldn't be delays, nothing like Broadwell. What's more, they recommended waiting 6 months after Broadwell for those who wanted to see a real jump. Google it.
     
  24. Icehawk macrumors member

    Icehawk

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Location:
    I'm lost.
    #24
    I was going to wait for the 850m or 950m to get a new MBP. I'm using a 13" mid-2009. For 99% of the gaming I do, the 750m will be more than adequate. I've decided it's not worth waiting to potentially next summer or fall for the next gen i7. Going from Core 2 Duo to i7 as is should make me smile from ear to ear. If I knew Iris Pro would be fine, I'd save $500 and go with it and put htat money on the side to upgrade/rebuild my aging desktop with a HD3870.
     
  25. Brian Y macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2012
    #25
    I doubt there will be a redesign yet.

    The old design lasted what, 5 models (08,09,10,11,12). The current design has just done 3.
     

Share This Page