Wait, or Wait longer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tumeg101, Oct 9, 2007.

?

Wait, or Wait Longer?

  1. Wait for Leopard

    4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Wait for MacBook Update + 2 Weeks

    14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  1. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

    Tumeg101

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    Location:
    Orange County, California
    #1
    Now that we have a little more info on when, and what the MacBook update will be... I have a question...
    I am 14 years old, and have $2 more than I need to purchase the current mid end MacBook... So my budget is tight...

    Anyway, if you haven't read the new rumors of the MacBook update... here it is:
    After talking to people about this, they all seem to think that this soon to be updated MacBook will consist of: 2.2ghz, integrated graphics will be twice as fast as the current one, and santa rosa chip set(support of 4gb of ram, longer battery life)
    My question is mainly, is this update worth it to wait for??

    This will be my first mac, I have been waiting for 5 months for leopard to be released, to buy the MacBook... If I wait for the update to buy the MacBook, I may have to wait a few more weeks than I would if I was just waiting for leopard (my dad is getting me a deal on the macbook, from his friend, so if I wait for new ones I will need to wait 1-2 more weeks for his friend to get them in, so I can afford one)

    I will only be doing the basics (internet, music, chatting, and school) so I don't really need the extra .04ghz... or the 4gb ram possibility... the current battery life is 6 hours, which is fine for me... 90% of the time i will be at home, so I can just have it plugged in...
    But I am wondering, if I will need to wait for the extra graphics, in order to run leopard smoothly, there have been rumors that leopard may not run to good on the current graphics,
    This will be my first mac, so I want it to be a good one, and I need it to last 2+ years...



    NOTE: If this is confusing, just say what part is and I will re-state it...
    I wont have to wait 2 weeks after leopard is released, because apple has a thing on there site, so if you buy a mac on or after the release of an OS, you just gotta pay $9.95 + Tax and they will send you the upgrade...
     
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
  3. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Tumeg101

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    Location:
    Orange County, California
    #3
    I understand that santa rosa and the graphics are pretty nice updates... but for what I do, is it worth waiting for??
    I don't even know of this guy is going to get new ones in, in 2 weeks... probably longer,

    And I wont be running any big apps that require the better graphics, or faster bus speed...
    I have played with these macbooks in the store, and they are fine, allot faster then my PC I have now,


    So from this post, would you still say to wait??
     
  4. psingh01 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2004
    #4
    your budget is pretty tight. are you taking sales tax into account? :)
     
  5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
  6. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Tumeg101

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    Location:
    Orange County, California
    #6
    Yes, My dad's friend can get me the MacBook for $1,266 without taxes... and he is an authorized reseller...
    Don't ask me how, I think it is just because my dad is in the computer business, and of course so is this "friend" of his... so somehow they can get each other good deals :p
     
  7. Telp macrumors 68040

    Telp

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2007
  8. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Tumeg101

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    Location:
    Orange County, California
    #8
    I have a feeling you guys arent reading my situation.... lol
     
  9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #9
    You want the MacBook but fail to see the value of waiting for a much improved model.

    If you want your Mac to last +2 years then wait for the revised model.
     
  10. Telp macrumors 68040

    Telp

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2007
    #10
    You'll be fine buying now. If you want to wait for the update, wait. You'll be able to run everything, including Leopard smoothy. I should be able to run it quite well on my iMac G5. Thats not a problem. As for battery, dont keep it plugged in. Plug it in when it needs to be charged, if you keep it plugged in, youll hurt the charge cycle and youll go from about a 6 hour charge (or whatever it is) to like a 2 hour, maybe less if you play your cards that wrongly.

    Does that help you? :):)
     
  11. Telp macrumors 68040

    Telp

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2007
    #11
    Are you saying her mac wont be able to last over 2years if she doesnt wait!?
     
  12. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Tumeg101

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    Location:
    Orange County, California
    #12
    I understand this... but how would santa rosa, better graphics, and a .04ghz faster processor... make it last longer???
    If you read what I am going to be using the machine for, I will barely be using the machine to it's min. capabilities...

    lol... im a 'he' :p
     
  13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #13
    What's so hard to understand that higher specifications now will help a computer run newer software for a longer period of time? The midrange model now might be the low end model in the future.
     
  14. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Tumeg101

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    Location:
    Orange County, California
    #14
    What's so hard to understand that I wont be installing\downloading any programs that require the 'higher specifications'
     
  15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #15
    Then why are you buying a new machine then? Get a refurbished Core Duo. You're never going to need 64-bit processing.

    Maybe even an iBook.
     
  16. Telp macrumors 68040

    Telp

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2007
    #16
    Haha, sorry dude, i gave it a shot, and i was wrong. :) Anyway, it seems to me that you dont need to wait. If having the latest and greatest isnt that important for you, buy at leopard. It doesnt seem you need the extra power, its just nice to have just in case.
     
  17. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Tumeg101

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    Location:
    Orange County, California
    #17
    Because those machines are just too slow for me... the current macbook is faster than I am use to... so it will be fine...



    I guess I am answering my own question...
    This can be closed
     
  18. Telp macrumors 68040

    Telp

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2007
    #18
    Alright, then buy now, or at leopard. Youll be fine with that.
     
  19. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #19
    I'm reading your situation fairly well. You're a 14 year old with no real NEED for a new macbook. I'd say that you could buy a refurbed C2D and use it just fine, or wait for the update to the macbooks to arrive, and then buy the current models at an even lower price. With the amount of money you've saved, there are better things you can do. Save some of it and enjoy being a teenager!
     
  20. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Tumeg101

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    Location:
    Orange County, California
    #20
    I don't have a need for a macbook... but I have convinced myself that I do, after waiting 5+ months for leopard, and getting into macs... I seriously need to get one or I will go mad... lol,
    I could get a refurb, but... would I get leopard on it? (If I purchase it after leopards release of course) And I kinda want the box lol... but idk if the box is worth $80... I guess if leopard is shipped on refurb MB's when it is released, then I will get that :p
    I have nothing else to spend the money on, except a nice DSLR and a lens or two... but I want the MacBook first, I want the MacBook to see if photography is really my thing, (I have no photo editing software on my PC, I know I can get some for less then $1,300... but I love Macs, and iPhoto is a nice starter tool that will come with my dream computer, that I have wanted since the iMac from 2 generations ago (the one with the dome, and the screen attached with that medal rod)


    EDIT: After doing a quick search on the forums...
    it appears that when leopard is released, if I buy a refurb mac, it will have tiger installed, but will have leopard DVD's in it (someone purchased a refurb right after tiger was released, it came with panther installed but tiger dvds... he said they made this clear on the site)
     
  21. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

    PCMacUser

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2005
    #21
    Hmm, it seems to me that the only answer that will satisfy you then is BUY NOW. :)

    My recommendation is to wait for the new Macbook. You say that you're not going to ever want to use the computer for more than Music and photos etc, but how do you really know what you'll want to use it for in one or two years' time?

    The new model will probably be launched at the same price as the current model. Improved graphics capabilities mean that if you do ever decide to do something else with your computer, it will have more of a chance of being capable of doing it.

    It's so simple.

    Curb the trend of young people today and have some bloody patience!! :D
     
  22. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Tumeg101

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    Location:
    Orange County, California
    #22
    I would wait...
    but I don't know when my dad's friend will be getting the new macs in if\when they come out, could be anywhere from 2-5+ weeks... (it's not like, a circuit city or anything like that... more of a no name place)

    And I need the macbook before November 12th (I am taking some photography classes)
    Which I just remembered this, so I guess I will just get a refurb macbook, if they drop in leopard...
     
  23. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

    PCMacUser

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2005
    #23
    Yeah I'm 97% sure that they'll install Leopard on a refurbished model.
     
  24. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

    PCMacUser

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2005
    #24
    Have you decided which digital SLR to buy yet?
     
  25. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Tumeg101

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    Location:
    Orange County, California
    #25
    :D Hope they do....

    No... lol, I am not even that camera savvy to make that decision yet >.< First comes the macbook, then goes photography research\clases
     

Share This Page