Wait til Macworld to buy Iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by atljogger, Dec 22, 2008.

1. atljogger macrumors member

I'm ready to step up to the 3G. I'm considering buying an iPhone before Xmas, but thought Mac could announce an extended battery-life phone at Macworld. Should I take the plunge now or wait until January?

2. mastershakess macrumors 6502

I just bought one, I have 30 days to return it so if something better some out I can return it, pay the 10% restock fee (big deal lol)

3. TheMBC macrumors 6502

I don't think they'd offer an extender-battery life, but, it's only about two weeks away, wait if you can (just in case.)

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. Search.
    2. It's not happening.
    3. Buy now.

5. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I'd wait to see. If something new comes out, it may be June before it ships and may be worth the wait.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Bingo, so they won't talk about it at MacWorld. They're not going to kill six months of iPhone sales with talk of a new one.

Buy now, be happy.

7. rs13 macrumors member

with macworld being so close i would wait if you can.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Might as well wait at this point since we're so close to Macworld. I'm not confident there will be an update to the iphone but you never know. At least this is the last year we'll have to wait until *after* Christmas for major product announcements. Next year Macworld will be dead.

9. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I agree. There probably won't be anything new for the iPhone at Macworld now, but it won't hurt waiting another 3 weeks 2 weeks (just in case).

Edit: my maths are bad today!

10. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

If they do anything to iphone 3G it wont be hardware related, probably software related and available to any iphone owner via upgrade.

although they might introduce a 32GB iphone or this rumored iphone Nano, so if any of those 2 prospects interest you then wait just in case these rumors materialize.

11. Barbs macrumors regular

its exactly 2 weeks from today. Not 3 weeks.

Wait 2 weeks and see what is annouced if anything at macworld. That is what I am doing. If they annouce a 32gb unit, I'll buy that. If not, then 16gb here I come.

12. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Wait, its not worth the frustration of knowing you could have waited. Don't be that guy who walks into the Apple Store and is like, "I bought this 3 weeks before the new one was announced and now I want to return/exchange/anything to it." This would really suck as well, if, as mentioned above, they announce something is coming out in March/April/May/June, and you realize that the restocking fee, mentioned above doesn't apply to you. Good luck

13. kinkster macrumors 6502a

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The keynote is on the 6th...

15. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

I just bought one.
    I was considering waiting til Macworld, but then I thought about all the past Macworlds.

Every time they have released a new iPhone they have announced it at Macworld but it doesn't come out til' June. Which is another 6 months away.
    By the time you wait those 6 month til' june, the new Macworld is only about 7 months away, so why not wait for that one?

I just decided to buy now and just be happy with it. Not to mention there isn't much rumors for any hardware upgrades except for 32GB and an iPhone nano.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They didn't announce the 3G at MacWorld. It would have been suicide for the first-gen model.

17. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

That only happened with the first generation iPhone. They didn't do this with the 3G. There were rumors going around, but that's it.

18. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

Either way, I'm sure you all get my point.
    It's just the fact that if you wait, you might as well wait a little longer, and then a little longer after that and so on.

19. atljogger thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input. I will wait until next month for peace of mind.

20. Daveecee macrumors regular

Waiting another 2 weeks is way different from waiting 6 months.

I'm in the same boat as you, OP. Have been eligible to buy an iPhone for two days now, but I'm waiting to see if 32GB is announced at macworld.

21. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

Your quick to jump to conclusions. If you were to do a "search" you would of realized that the summer of '07 gave us the original iPhone and in jan/feb of '08 the 16gb iPhone was released. With the introduction of the iPhone 3G in the summer of '08 how could you be so sure that the iPhone won't be getting any type of upgrade at Macworld or shortly after? It fits the time frame perfectly.

I say wait a couple of weeks, you may see a storage bump, you may not. Regardless, if you have waited this long then 2 more weeks shouldn't kill ya:p

22. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It won't be a better battery, that's for sure. The only update would be 32GB.

23. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I'm with him. I don't think anything is going to happen with the iPhone this year at Macworld. Perhaps a memory upgrade but I'm not really thinking that is going to happen. IMO, all the signs are pointing to no hardware iPhone updates.

In fact, I doubt anything that exciting is going to be announced or Steve would be giving the keynote. Especially if it was iPhone-related. The iPhone is Jobs' baby.

If the iPhone is good enough for you know, buy it.

24. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

Yah, not to mention even if a new iPhone is announced there is a big possibility it won't be available til even later in the year.

25. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

There's no guarantee that a new iPhone will come out on Macworld. It may just be announced is all. Making that 2 weeks a possible several months.