Wait to buy 27" iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jasonson, May 2, 2010.

  1. jasonson macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 2, 2010
    #1
    Hey guys,

    I'm considering buying an iMac and am just wondering if I should wait to buy a new iMac when the update comes or just buy one now? I'm looking at the basic 27" but am hoping that there will be quad-core model avaliable for the price of the 27" 3.06GHz model currently avaliable in the next update. If you think I should wait:

    -When do you think the next gen will come out?

    -what specs will it have

    -What will the price be?

    -What (or will it have any of the) new technologies (USB 3.0, light peak, etc.) will it have?
     
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #2
    Any update to the iMacs will be minor. Hard drive capacity increase, minor speed bumps maybe.

    None of the above.
     
  3. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

    pukifloyd

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2008
    Location:
    Scottsdale
    #3
    buy it right now...there will only be minor spec upgrades and nothing major
     
  4. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
    #4
    No point in waiting. Nothing major is going to happen to it.

    There has been speculation of a 22" multi touch screen iMac coming out, and Apple is the multi touch king of the industry with the iPad, iPod Touch and iPhone, but nothing screen-wise on a computer. Still, these are just rumors, nothing substantial, and touch screen on a desktop seems, to me anyway, a little overkill.

    Get the iMac now and enjoy.
     
  5. drchiu macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2010
    #5
    jasonson,

    If you can wait, wait.

    I too am in the market for a 27" imac, but seeing how WWDC is only a few weeks away, it's not so bad to wait until then and see what is offered.

    Even if it is "only" a minor spec bump, for the amount of money I would be spending I'd rather get the latest. You wouldn't spend $50000 on a new car the day before you can get next year's edition at the same price comes out, would you?

    Your circumstances may vary depending if you NEED the machine now, or simply WANT a machine.
     
  6. ARF900 macrumors 65816

    ARF900

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2009
    #6
    I would say wait unless you want the i7, right now the MBPs are more powerful than the imacs, so Apple basically has to update them at the WWDC.
     
  7. AWeber3030 macrumors newbie

    AWeber3030

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2009
    Location:
    Columbus, OH
    #7
    The iMacs have quad core processors, the new MacBook Pros only have Intel's newest dual core chips.
     
  8. 4PPLEM4C macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #8
    I agree. If you don't need the 27" imac, like I don't, then it makes sense to wait and get the latest machine, even if it only has minor upgrades. Especially if your going to be spending over £1k on it.
     
  9. cryer macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #9
    True, but what if you could get that new car for much less money if you buy it now versus waiting for the minor spec bump version? What would you do? This is the situation I am in with the 27" iMac i7.
     
  10. ThePowerOfTheMac macrumors newbie

    ThePowerOfTheMac

    Joined:
    May 2, 2010
    Location:
    Behind your back
  11. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

    Badger^2

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2009
    Location:
    Sacramento
    #11
    wow, thats just plain wrong.

    I say that if you have waited this long, another 1-2 months aint gonna kill you, right?

    so wait.
     
  12. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

    Maserati7200

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2009
    Location:
    11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    #12
    Light peak won't be here for while.
    USB 3.0 is a high possibility. Updates should be at or around WWDC 2010, it would be spot on for the iMac's update cycle.
     
  13. drchiu macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2010
    #13
    Well... to keep to the car analogy ;), I suppose I would still wait if the overall exterior design of the car was to be changed. If it were a minor spec bump for the car, and I could get the current one cheaper, then I would get the current year's model instead.

    However, you must understand, driving the exact same exterior styling of a 2010 and 2011 car doesn't have any performance difference. ;) Even a minor spec bump for an iMac, despite the overall design being the same, may show slight improvement for the same amount of money.

    Like yourself, I too am really wanting a new computer. But I got two good computers I am working on that don't really need a replacement so soon. This is more of a "want".
     
  14. zengm321 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    #14
    Agree. And in summer, you'll have the student discount.
     
  15. cryer macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #15
    But the iMacs are available in refurb store right now for a lot cheaper.
     
  16. SamTheeGeek macrumors 6502

    SamTheeGeek

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2010
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #16

    1. I think the next gen wont be coming out soon but my guess is july.

    2. i would guess it would have a touch screen , maybe newer OS and minor upgrades as i7 is 2010 processors , i dont think their gonna be anything better than that.

    3. price wont be any more expensive as the current models.

    4. there is always newer tech , we just cant keep up hehe.

    but in my opinion if you need it , go for it and enjoy it :D have fun dude
     
  17. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

    Penguissimo

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2009
    Location:
    Michigan
    #17
    Not to mention the "Back to School" promotion that will net you a free iPod.
     
  18. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

    pukifloyd

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2008
    Location:
    Scottsdale
    #18
    Student discount is even available right now...he'll get the Back to School promo in summer which includes a free ipod touch...

    You can go to the education store right now and check it out
     
  19. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2010
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #19
    iMac refresh history has been alternating 8 and 11 month cycles. The last refresh was a 8 month cycle to it is likely the next refresh will be 11 months or around Sept. If you can wait that long then wait, if not buy now. Best deals are refurbs - mine is a refurb and it is perfect
     
  20. drchiu macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2010
    #20
    Damn, I think you're right. The next iMac refresh will likely be in September after the back to school promo. That makes more sense for Apple. They have no need to have such an updated line up.
     
  21. Rhobes macrumors 6502

    Rhobes

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2004
    Location:
    Bigfork, MT
    #21
    I don't mean to steal this post but I'm in much the same situation. Until, I started reading the buyers guide, this thread etc. I was about to click the buy button from the Apple Store.

    I'm intending to go with an iMac 27" 2.8GHz Quad i7, 2TB HD & 8GB Ram.

    Didn't this model just get released in Oct of 2009? Lots of monitor problems with things just worked out in Feb/Mar of 2010. My thought is/was this machine has all the bugs fixed; ram price drop, might be a smart time to buy-or wait for a new model with months of bug fixing to follow or worse, more monitor problems (touch screen?)?

    I'm not in the know, but despite the viscous cycle, isn't it better to buy at the height of the product rather the beginning.

    As mentioned, the car analogy- very good. I've bought many sports cars, never buy the 1st year of a new body/platform of your favorite sport car, way too many problems(mostly electrical). The last year model (prior to the new style) is the most refined, far more collector value.

    What is the WWDC? When where? The iMac I'm considering, I've followed through it's problems, now that things seem stable & running good I'm ready to buy after waiting for it to come around. Then...I hear wait!! don't do it, wait for the new better one coming out any minuet, do you really think it will be worth waiting for? If I bought the first one blindly & not wait to see it's problems I'd be better off than buy whats looking good right now at the top of its game??

    We all know there is no end to it. But, do you really think waiting possibly to Sept, buying right then would be smarter or worth it in upgrades/power/processing speed to going for it now??:cool:

    I better put the Jonny Walker away.....
     
  22. raphmermontagne macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 8, 2010
    #22
    The only major upgrade that might happenned would be a touchscreen iMac !

    And that would be a revolution ! Because Apple would implement it so well (like on its other touchscreen products), that it will be a killer product !

    And if you buy just before it realesed it's really frustrating!

    But we don't know if this product will release !

    Sources and Jobs himself told that we could expect "magical new products" this year after the iPad. But this Apple Novlangue and it can be only a new version of Final Cut, etc.

    So I think it doesn't really worth waiting for an upgrade.

    But what can we expect : SSD if not too expensive would be great !
    Better proc on the 21,5... and what else? USB 3.0?

    I don't think they will be something in the WWDC
     
  23. Omnigray macrumors newbie

    Omnigray

    Joined:
    May 7, 2010
    #23
    Cheers to that man, I'm sold.

    I too am in the market for a quad 27" (only I intend to swap out the optical for an SSD :D) and have been pondering whether or not I should buy now or wait... and you're absolutely right, the car analogy indeed holds strong.

    Each new launch is always riddled with problems in the beginning and the LAST thing i want is to have to go back and forth with apple on fixing issues. The latest iMac is definitely solid as the number of faulty cases has drastically dropped within the last few months.
     
  24. cryer macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #24
    So... You're buying now or no?
     
  25. Rhobes macrumors 6502

    Rhobes

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2004
    Location:
    Bigfork, MT
    #25
    I just ordered mine last night.

    I went with the iMac 27" i7, 2TB HD, 2x4GB, Magic Mouse, Numeric keypad, and AppleCare.
    + 2-3 day Shipping

    Totaled out for: $3,053.00

    Delivery date: May 17-20th :D
     

Share This Page