Wait to buy a MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Liam8, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

I am ready to buy a MacBook unibody, but I don't want to buy it if it is going to be updated right after I buy it (wouldn't be the first time- I bought my iPod Touch 2 weeks before the 2nd gen came out).

When do you guys think apple will update the MacBooks? I was looking on the buying guide on MacRumors and it is past the average update time...:confused:->:apple:

2. LouiTheFish macrumors newbie

Already updated

The unibody is the update from last fall so it's going to be a little while before they update again. Can you post the link where you saw that?

3. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

As far as I know, apple updates their notebook line following the "back to school" promo (buy a mac get a free ipod, w/exceptions). The promo will start in june (most likely) and last until the beginning of September (I think). I doubt apple will upgrade before then, and even if they do it should be a minor processor tweak.

So my advice is to wait until the promo, score a free ipod (if you qualify as a student or educator, or you can find a friend that qualifies) and enjoy. If not you'll probably end up waiting until late Fall for Snow Leopard and a minor processor upgrade; I doubt you would want to wait that long. So... in the words of half of the members here, "Buy it now if you need it, if not just hold off until you do."

Hope that helped :)

4. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

There are rumors about an update to the Mac notebooks before the WWDC in June.

Over last three years, Apple has updated Mac notebooks nearly every six months. I think we are due for an update for several reasons. The unibody is going to remain, but interior components need updates. There is a lot of talk about the new battery tech in 17" MBP making its way to MBP, MBA, and possibly MB. That would be a big reason to wait, for double battery life.

5. Liam8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Liam8

Good Point

That is a good point about the battery... That would be nice to have but, I think I will just buy a MacBook... I would really like to have one. it fits my lifestyle to have one.

As for the back to school I already have an iPod Touch and it works fine so I won't wait until then (can I get a discount when I am only going into grade 9?).

I will probably buy snow leopard early 2010.

Thanks if you have any other ideas or reasons to wait that would be great.

6. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Iw ould wait until june I mean why not? YOu could get the discount and a free ipod touch. If you already have one sell the new one or keep them noth. Who knows maybe snw leopard will be released at wwdc. Maybe the macbooks will be upgraded to the oled screen. As for the battery I think its a very high possibility that apple will put it into the rest aof the macbooks. I think that was their plan all along but it wasnt ready in october but the wanted to release the new macbooks before Christmas.

7. Liam8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Liam8

You raise a good point...

All those ideas make me want to wait...

But I am unsure still...:confused:

8. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Then just buy it. Apple with thank you :D

9. iBadger macrumors member

I'm in the same boat, joined the ADC so I could pick up the MBP. I think I will just wait it through the summer and see if they update before school starts back up.

I do hate waiting.......

10. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Buy it if you need it. There will always be reasons to wait, and the longer you wait the more you regret it and think "If I waited this long I'll wait longer ..."

11. shoppy macrumors 6502a

With all due respect if you wait, the waiting game will never end. Just go and buy it and enjoy it. For all the months you wait you could have been enjoying your machine.

12. Liam8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Liam8

I think I am going to wait. I don't need it right now I just want it. So I am going to wait until snow leopard is out and hopefully a new update for the MacBooks even if it is just a faster processor. :)

Thanks for all the help. :D:apple:

13. Liam8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Liam8

Sorry the post before is wrong... I have been thinkin and I think I will just buy a MacBook Unibody....

Probably the 2.0 GHz...

14. ChocolateJesus macrumors member

Good choice, I was just going through this wait for months then yesterday pulled the trigger on a 2.0 Refurb Unibody. I'm simply elated to receive it, hopefully tomorrow! :)

15. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Probably the best buy for any Mac right now is the unibody 2.0 MB refurbished for $1099.

Best wishes.

16. Liam8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Liam8

One last question, can anyone tell me if a 2.0GHz will be fast enough to run day to day things? All I need to do is homework (typing), I have at least 10GB of music and at least 5GB of photos...:confused:

17. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Yes. If you're just typing, listening to tunes and looking at photos, the processor won't even break a sweat (if processors could sweat).

18. iBadger macrumors member

With all the excitement of everyone buying a refurb macbook. I just went against what I said early, just purchased the 2.0 a few min ago. This will be my first mac, I'm tired of all the trouble I have with vista.....I will play with this and invest in a better one next year, possibly a desktop.

19. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Even the 1.6 MacBook Air or the last gen Mac mini's can handle that :D

20. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

I can run that stuff on an ibook g4

21. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

You could even do that on a commodore 64 :D

22. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Let's say they switch the 15"'s to the new 17" battery. Yea, but could you imagine how hard it will be in a couple of years to get batteries that were made for only six months?

And, I don't think they'll offer the new battery on the 15" for a while now. Apple is all about the up-selling, and they want their $2800 laptop to have features that their $2000 one doesn't have.

23. Liam8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Liam8

I just read the front page of macrumours, i really shouldn't have but i did read about price reductions on a macbook but i think i will just buy it anyway...

I have wanted one since it came out so...

24. ChocolateJesus macrumors member

Just got my 2.0 Unibody in today, after much anticipation. My word what an amazing machine. No regrets here! :apple:

25. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Don't want to ad to your waiting, but if you already have an Imac, why do you NEED a MB now? Just wait and keep enjoying your iMac. If you need something portable, get a netbook(or even a refurb one) for 200-300 and save for the next best Apple PC. :eek: