Wait until Skylake? (MBP)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mikext, Dec 4, 2015.

  1. mikext macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 26, 2011
    #1
    I currently am ready to retire my late 2008 aluminum Macbook. I had intentions of buying a 13" Macbook Pro (i5, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB). I have been ready to buy a new computer and was looking to purchase one around the holidays but noticed on the macrumors buying guide, the retina MBP got relegated to the "do not buy" category.

    I was just wondering if I should hold off and wait for Skylake? I am an advertising student with a year of school left. I use adobe programs but I rarely edit large image or video files so was wondering how much of an overall impact Skylake would have on overall performance, specifically something with these specs:
    13" Macbook Pro (i5, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB).
     
  2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

    cruisin

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2014
    Location:
    Canada
    #2
    The current machine is still great, but the next one will almost always be better. If you can wait until the rumoured March/April update, then it is worth it if only to not be annoyed that your new device isn't so new (in my opinion).

    Since it doesn't sound like you have too many performance requirements, Skylake won't really give you much of a benefit CPU-wise (maybe a slightly better battery life). The bigger issue is the GPU, as the integrated GPU will be upgraded (part of the CPU) and the newer Adobe apps support GPU acceleration. Graphics tend to age the quickest, and seeing how you kept your 2008 model in use for a while it might be useful to wait the 4 months or so. Hope this helped.
     
  3. nicovh macrumors 6502

    nicovh

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2015
    Location:
    Nederland
    #3
    If you can wait, wait.

    As cruisin said, the integrated graphics will be much better and consume less power with Skylake, as for CPU performance it's just a slight boost.

    The update will most likely include the new USB C type port, compatible with Thunderbolt 3. We don't know yet if Apple will ditch the USB3 ports, sd card slot and hdmi. If those are slots you will frequently use and would hate to buy & use adapters then i would consider that.
    The update will probably have the same keyboard as in the new magic keyboard, perhaps a slightly larger trackpad and some tweaks here and there. Perhaps a new screen with a higher density of pixels and bigger screen resolutions.

    People on here have also been debating that the next update will make the 13" a 14" and the 15" a 16". So if you fancy a slightly bigger screen then wait.

    Conclusion: if you can wait, great, if not, buy one now
     
  4. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #4
    The old adage fits here, buy a computer when you absolutely have too, waiting if possible usually the best approach. At the very least if you don't like the new design, you can then buy the then older generation for a lot less.
     
  5. Pearl Wisdom macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2009
    #5
    #4
    You might think about upgrading to an older model right now, otherwise waiting for the Skylake models sounds good. Keep an eye out for good deals on older models right now with all the holiday special sales. I just got a new 2014 15" Retina Macbook Pro (2.5 GHz, 512GB) with Applecare and a few Thunderbolt adapters for about $2000. That was cheaper than the same model refurb from the Apple Store. The benchmarks are 30% faster than my 2011 Macbook Pro plus it has the Retina screen, so it seemed like a good deal. I've only used it a little bit so I haven't formed a real opinion of it yet (along with the El Capitan upgrade compared to my previous Mavericks use). But I think it might be worth thinking about as an improvement from your 2008 model. I got it at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1072689-REG/apple_mgxc2ll_a_15_4_macbook_pro_notebook.html , but their current price of $1799 is 200 more than I paid.
     
  6. shaunp macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2010
    #6
    If you can wait then wait. The current design has been around a while now and my guess (no actual facts here) is they will do a big update with Skylake and bring in USB 3.1 and a different case design. Just a guess though
     
  7. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2010
    #7
    I'd wait - I should add I am waiting, but I'm growing impatient with the delay. LOTS of other manufacturers have Skylake mobile platforms available and I'm starting to look elsewhere.
     
  8. David58117 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2013
    #8
    I've always been more about buying when on sale...

    And the 2015 models are on sale now!

    Lets be real - you may get a slightly smaller redesign, and a USB C port...who cares? USB C is still on the fringe, and the retinas are still some of the lightest laptops in their class.

    It sounds like Skylake may bring a slight iGPU upgrade..so if you must play games on your iGPU equipped laptop - maybe wait?

    Let's assume it adds another hour of battery life. We're beyond the 4-5 hour battery, and now have 9-10 hours - that's plenty!

    It's very doubtful users will notice the CPU upgrade skylake will bring..

    So in my opinion, buying when it's on sale makes the most sense...
     
  9. MDull macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2011
    #9
    I think it depends on how long you want to keep this machine. If you are going to get another one fairly soon after you get out of school when you are making more money I'd maybe look at something just prior to the last upgrade since the CPU didn't change (Haswell for the last 3 yrs)etc.
    However if you intend to keep it a while then I would definitely wait until Feb/March for the bigger upgrade which may be a really big redesign. Me, I'm waiting
     
  10. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #10
    That's one way to look at it, though back in 2011, I was wanting a new laptop and I knew the new chipsets were coming out in early 2012. I decided to wait and that wait was long. I didn't get the computer until June. Anyways, I could have gotten a 2011 model on sale, but in hindsight I was better off, given that Apple rolled out the retina models in 2012.

    We don't know what Appel has up its sleeve, so waiting will give the consumer the best option on what to buy
     
  11. coorsleftfield macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2014
    #11
    Buying the newest model is always the most expensive thing you can do. If you wait for Skylake and buy it right when it comes out, you will be paying full retail price. Right now there are some great deals on the 2014 MBP and the 2015s are on sale. Personally I'd rather save $700-$900 and get a model year or two back than the newest thing on the street. Unless you need the features in Skylake, I'd pick up something over the next few months at a deep discount.
     
  12. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

    RevToTheRedline

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2007
    #12
    I knew back when I got my mid 2015 MBP a week after they came out (which I wasn't even aware they were coming out with a 2015 refresh) that the Skylakes were about to start showing up. Granted they've shown up on a ton of Windows machines, yet no official word for Apple. None the less apart from a possible better I/O set, the performance gains (or lack there of) i'm seeing from the i7-6920HQ vs my 4980HQ are little to none for me to even wish I waited the slightest. I just knew after almost 8 years my Core 2 iMac was really starting to need an upgrade so I just went for it. Playing the tech waiting game is an war you can't win, something will always be better.

    I say if you need the machine now, get it. If you don't and want to wait, go ahead.
     
  13. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

    Clix Pix

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2005
    Location:
    8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    #13
    I am very happy with the mid-2015 15" rMBP that I just purchased a couple of weeks ago. I decided that I did not want to wait to see what new changes might be made and that I'm really rather content with the current configuration with the available ports, etc., and the general body style and casing. This machine has what I want and need right now and that's good enough for me!
     
  14. Melrose Suspended

    Melrose

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2007
    #14
    The next generation of computers is always going to be faster and more powerful (Moore's Law). Unless it's only a few weeks away, waiting to buy the next release of any product is dumb - if your rule is "wait for better" you will, literally, always be waiting and never actually pull the trigger. strictly speaking about performance, now is always the best time to buy a computer.

    That, plus Intel releases processors in succession: trick, tock, upgrade, die shrink, etc. You can either have a performance boost or have performance optimization. Both are important, but if your rule is to wait, in this case you'll never have the latest of both.

    - Any machine you buy now will be outdated in 6 months. Period.
    - Just because it will be outdated quickly does not mean it's a poor choice or a bad computer. Period.
    - If you're worried about performance you can buy beefier specs on the current-gen and most likely have a better machine than the bottom-line next gen. Period.

    :)
     
  15. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

    Santabean2000

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    #15
    I'd wait. If you have survived for this long then what's another few months.

    I know buying on sale is the cheapest option, but also know (at least where I live) that you can finance purchases too. In Singapore, that means 12 months interest free! A $2000 computer spread over 12 months is eff-all.

    I'd rather buy the latest, (paying over time), and have that small window where you have the best tech! Makes a new purchase that much more satisfying.
     
  16. maxsix Suspended

    maxsix

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2015
    Location:
    Western Hemisphere
    #16
    I _never_ wait!

    Sitting around mulling over a "wait and see" scenario is pure wasted time. There isn't a perfect laptop, just excellent ones made by Apple.

    Yes... I buy each and every new 15" MBPr model as they're released, because I do very resource intense work. Because I directly benefit from any increase in speed and functionality.

    And it's this practice of constant upgrading that causes me to experience how often the "latest and greatest" CPU fails to live up to the hype. They always sound better than they end up being to any realist. To the easily impressed, or those who's insecurities cause them to defend every Apple purchase they make, they're always claiming huge gains.

    Buy now if you need it, you can always replace it at another time if that's truly required.
     
  17. SR 7 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2009
    #17

    Why is the retina on the do not buy list? I am in the same boat as u that's why
     
  18. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Location:
    Zurich, Switzerland
    #18
    Because (almost) every other manufacturer has shipped Skylake mobile CPUs.
    Apple has to release them at some point.
     
  19. SR 7 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2009
    #19
    Oh so skylark is only on retinas?
    I assume the 500+ gb will be about $1,799 again.. Wonder how much the cost of used previous models from 2013-2014 will drop
     
  20. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #20
    Apple is waiting for intels best skylake chips with far superior integrated graphics, the 13 inch should get IRIS pro like graphics with 64MB of eDRAM cache making it a serious upgrade unfortunately those chips are yet to be released by intel.
     
  21. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #21
    Doesn't the current 13" MBP currently use the Iris and the 15" use the Iris Pro? I'm not sure if apple is going to upgrade the iGPU on the 13" model, other then using the faster skylake variant of the Iris GPU
     
  22. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #22
    The intel roadmap shows the top range Iris iGPU for the 28W dual core mobile chips as having a 64MB eDRAM cache (like a smaller version of the Iris Pro found on the current 15 inches) I am assuming that is what apple will be using as they have for both broadwell and haswell previously used the top of the range Iris chips. In my opinion the only good reason to wait for skylake 13 inch rMBP's.
     
  23. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #23
    But the 13" MBP uses "Intel Iris Graphics 6100" as noted on their product page and the 15" MBP uses the Iris Pro. I don't think apple is going to upgrade the 13" MBP's GPU to the faster Iris pro in the next gen model.
     
  24. Samuelsan2001, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016

    Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #24
    You are misunderstanding me completely, the Iris graphics will come with that 64MB eDRAM cache. This should boost IRIS graphics about 40% once the architecture changes have been taken into account.

    The Iris pro on the 47W quadcore will still come with 128MB eDRAM cache but with improved overall graphics power maybe 20% over broadwell.

    http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-p...features-72-execution-units-128-mb-edram-llc/
     
  25. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #25
    I was getting confused because you said that the 13" MBP was getting an Iris pro which on Apple's product page, it shows itself as the Iris GPU, not the Iris pro. I understand what you're getting at about the eDRAM but calling it the iris pro where as it probably won't be called that was confusing - at least to me.
     

Share This Page