Waiting for iMac 2012 makes this look more tempting...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mjoshi123, Sep 7, 2012.

1. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

I've Macbook Pro and I'm playing waiting game for iMac as many other but more I wait more it feels I need to rethink my priorities and probably pick up this one Dell XPS One 27" - it has lot more power underneath for much less price and from display point of view I may not be making any compromise as it uses same IPS panel that iMac uses. At present I use 2010 13" MBP attached to Dell 23" iPS panel and it serves my purpose but I need more speed.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+...rive/5773236.p?id=1218694834606&skuId=5773236

2. Mad Sativa macrumors member

3. Scrub175 macrumors 6502

Scrub175

4. Occamsrazr macrumors 6502

The embedded picture above, barf and all, actually looks better than this Dell piece of crap

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Buys Dell XPS 27, realises it doesn't run OSX.

6. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

I always wonder that these posters who are always so 'fed up of waiting' and just go and switch to PC never seem to factor in the move from OSX.

I could see myself switching were it not for having to use Windows. It's not the machines - that even may be a plus - it's the software that's the dealbreaker but they never seem to even consider this.

Makes you wonder.

7. mjoshi123 thread starter macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

That is only reason for holding off on iMac for timebeing. I think I wont be waiting forever on it as I need LR4 + CS6 as my primary software. And both of them runs on Windows same as they runs on OSX.

8. mjoshi123 thread starter macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

I've moved from PC to OSX so know what Windows has to offer, I'm more loyal to my needs than blindly following a platform, as I said my primary work is digital image editing and LR4 + CS6 both runs just fine on Windows, same as they run on OSX. Reason for being on OSX was so that I could still use Windows along with OSX whenever I need it. If OSX hardware platform that I currently own makes me take 2-3 hours to work compared to 1 hours on windows hardware (which is more latest) than I wont be waiting forever for Apple to catch-up on performance front. Also keep in mind Dell XPS One with 27" monitor + 3rd gen intel i7 + 2GB dedicated video card comes for far more less than 27" iMac. If I configure same hardware option on 2011 iMac it goes well above $2500 and that too I'm looking at 2011 machine. I understand your brand loyalty to Apple but to me my needs are more important than Apple's bottomline. When you argue, argue with some intellect and try to back it up with some facts and figures.

9. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

No, it doesn't.

A low-end 2011 27" iMac has about the same GPU.

10. alias99 macrumors regular

What he said was based on his needs. Since you never specified your needs in the OP its a bit over the top to criticise him since he was going on what info was provided.

You stated you use a Macbook Pro so the assumption would be your needs are not high but then you pull out a 2nd post.

And your comparing a macbook pro from 2010 to a 2012 AIO from dell for work times. When you should be comparing a 2011 iMac to the Dell.

Taking your case into account if you don't want to wait 1-2 months then go ahead buy your dell and be happy, this whole thread is pointless if you already made your mind up!

11. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

And doesn't care. It can run Ubuntu, that's what matters.

12. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

yeah exactly I guess it will take about a year more before the imac is so outdated I rather buy a dell or similar.

13. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Oh, you miss the fruit logo? Is that it?

14. tmroper macrumors regular

I wonder if it ships with the standard noisy Dell fan, like all the Dells I've had to use at work over the years. They should at least offer a quiet fan as an option. It may be a small to non-existant issue for some, but for me, I'll pay the extra for an iMac just for it to sit there quietly on my desk at home.

15. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

:confused: Isn't this Mac Rumors?

16. laserfan macrumors member

Let us know please when you are able to get Mountain Lion running on it (Hackintosh).

Seems a no-brainer to try at least, given you already have a Mac.

17. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Oh that's right! Ubuntu. Why are you here again?

18. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

It looks like a knock-off attempt at an iMac. I can't believe they designed it to be a plastic copy.

19. mjoshi123 thread starter macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

look again at reviews of that machine, it says it is Aluminium with end to end glass and PLS display. XPS line is their premium line, they will not make it cheap.

20. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Ripping the iMac design makes it look cheap. Even if it was made of platinum.

21. oosk2k8 macrumors member

Took the words right out of my mouth lol.

22. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

if you dont "need" mac os its a way better deal than current imac and will be a way better deal than the updated imac. It wont have a cool apple on it tho so that could be a problem for some. ;)

23. angus99 macrumors newbie

Don't understand why this is ripping off the iMac. Are you suggesting that any AIO PC with a similar form factor is an apple rip off.

24. oosk2k8 macrumors member

Not any, no, but the Dell is. To me, I see the Dell's characteristics as 98% the same as the iMac, but then again I am a product designer so I see and analyze those details.

25. laserfan macrumors member

This is a Mac forum. You should expect people here to pi$$ on it regardless of how it's made...