Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ka-spot

Suspended
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
I'm waiting for retina iMac. Who is with me?

I don't need an iMac, but I always like the design and I'll definitely buy one with retina display just to use it as a media center.

The question is not IF.. it is WHEN.

I'm not alone in this, right?

So... 2014... Feb, Jun or Sep-Oct-Nov?

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas

I don't need an iMac, but I always like the design and I'll definitely buy one with retina display just to use it as a media center.

Probably late 2014 or early 2015

bounou

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
I am waiting for either a Mac Pro with top of the line consumer class GPU's (probably won't happen) or a retina iMac.

My main computer is my MBP but I use my Mac Mini that's connected to a Thunderbolt Display quite a bit and every time I do I wish the display was as nice as the one on my MBP.

Not sure it will come next year and I'm not sure if the smart thing is to buy the 1st generation of something like a retina iMac, especially if they end up with a retina iMac as opposed to just a 4k display, the GPU you would need to run a display like that well is probably not something Apple is going to want to use.

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
I think a 27 inch retina is an overkill... Damn the screen is damn beautiful at 1440p.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona

Isn't a media center better if it has native HD resolution?

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Be prepared to wait for a loooooong time. A Retina screen iMac is years away. The Apple TV is coming first. That will be the media center you want. You'll be able to talk to it and use hand gestures to record and change channels. Rumors say it is coming at the end of 2014.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I'm hoping for next year.

I think it may be necessary to use IGZO to get 3840x2160 and 5120x2880 resolutions with low enough power consumption and in a thin enough size.

I'm a little worried about what they can do with the GPU though. Even twice the performance of the 780M won't be enough for high settings in games at those resolutions.

Perhaps Apple will shift to using custom form factor desktop GPUs :D

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
No way Apple is going to drag its feet on this.As soon as they can put it out it will be on sale.The imac has its own built in customer base.Not so with an Apple television.Unless its going to be an Oled with 4K they are wasting their time.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I'm hoping for next year.

I think it may be necessary to use IGZO to get 3840x2160 and 5120x2880 resolutions with low enough power consumption and in a thin enough size.

I'm a little worried about what they can do with the GPU though. Even twice the performance of the 780M won't be enough for high settings in games at those resolutions.

Perhaps Apple will shift to using custom form factor desktop GPUs :D

Besides games (since I don't), will the 780M be able to run the supposed retina resolution of 5120x2880 well without stutter on Logic Pro X?

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
You mean the current max resolution of Logic Pro X is 1440? If it is, what I meant was if Logic Pro X was indeed updated for the supposed iMac retina resolution, would the 780M be able to run it smoothly without stutter.

----------

Trust me, the 780M is way more powerful than you think

Nice.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
Seriously, it's already ridiculous to sit front of. :D

I agree, but retina would make it even more comfortable for reading text. I wonder how games would look at 1440p compared to native resolution... Gaming with my late 2012 iMac in native resolution looks amazing.

tomwvr

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Frederick Maryland
I have a 2012 27 inch iMac. If you want to pay 6000 for an iMac then wait another 2-4 years. The current screen is awesome. No need to do this.

ka-spot

Suspended
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
I have a 2012 27 inch iMac. If you want to pay 6000 for an iMac then wait another 2-4 years. The current screen is awesome. No need to do this.

It is! I like it too... BUT the 21.5 is with 70% LESS pixel density and it really looks like a crap after owning a retina display Macbook...

tomwvr

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Frederick Maryland
I know I have not always been able to figure out what Apple is going to do - but I think the current version of the iMac may be the last one - what I expect is to see a move toward MEDIA - large screen TV's with all the functions that an average person will need blended into them.

Tom

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
I know I have not always been able to figure out what Apple is going to do - but I think the current version of the iMac may be the last one - what I expect is to see a move toward MEDIA - large screen TV's with all the functions that an average person will need blended into them.

Tom

Sorry but i dont agree.People need a desktop for work or research.Cant imagine apple giving up that share of the market.Retina in an Ipad that is half the size of the Imac means Retina will appear soon in the model.Didnt cost twice as much for a retina ipod or Ipad so I think the prices will hold.should be an exciting display to sit in front of.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Why bother with retina? It's not like you're going to use the iMac with your face less than an inch away from it to distinguish individual pixels from it.

I can understand retina for iOS devices since we tend to use it at much closer viewing distances. But on an iMac, I can't imagine why.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Why bother with retina? It's not like you're going to use the iMac with your face less than an inch away from it to distinguish individual pixels from it.

I can understand retina for iOS devices since we tend to use it at much closer viewing distances. But on an iMac, I can't imagine why.
At 1080p on a 21.5 inch display you'll need to sit back close to three feet from the display if you've got 20/20 vision.

That's quite far. And I'd say most 20-40 year olds have better than 20/20 vision after correction. I'm 22 and I have 20/15 vision.

In my case I need to sit back close to four feet. At 2160p, I'm able to sit 22 inches from the display which for me is "just right."

Also there is an improvement beyond being able to identify an individual pixel. Especially so in games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.