Waiting for iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by raynold2010, Mar 29, 2011.

1. raynold2010 macrumors member

No trolling, just giving an opinion here !

I checked the iPad here in Cambridge, UK. The product is amazing, but for me, it's still a bit heavy. I can't imagine holding it for an hour or more, during presentations for example.

Also, there's a HUGE amount of glare. Especially annoying in such places as an Apple store...

So : I really wanted to buy the iPad, but i think i'll wait for a light model. And please, do something for that glare.

2. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

It only weighs a little over a pound. If that's too heavy for you, you're a wimp.

3. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

if you wait for the iPad 3, when it comes out you'll wait for the iPad 4.

Man up and buy it already :D

4. Cole JM macrumors regular

I admit it could be lighter. And I came into this thread with you expecting that Theo ad 3 will come in2011. In reality apple would not to that to their customers. The iPad 3 will be released in 2012. You can get screeshields that cut the glare so therefore you don't have the glare. I ordered one of those and I'll let you know how I like it.

5. PhoneI macrumors 65816

my 70 year old mother user the iPad as her only computer. She uses it for several hours day. Me thinks if she can hold it without an issue so can you.

6. egonpax macrumors 6502

Yeah if you don't already have one, pick it up! :)

I think I'm going to wait however since my wife already has the Ipad2 and my 2 orders are still backordered...

7. tstarks33 macrumors regular

I think the OP meant to post this in his live journal.

8. LarzStarz macrumors member

9. hcho3 macrumors 68030

No one knows what iPad 3 will look like or even know what it will have. The lighter weight is not guaranteed.

Enjoy waiting, but I hardly find this thread necessary. There are enough threads about ipad 3.

10. Sukia macrumors newbie

I'll wait too. Btw, im gonna wait till the Ipad "destroy" all laptop functions (storage, graphics, speed). :)

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

The battery, display/glass and back are the bulk of the weight and there's no immediate technological advance that will make the iPad drop appreciably in weight anytime soon. Each successive generation may drop an ounce or two but that's about it.

12. Carouser macrumors 65816

The president of the United States gets a podium. Most clergy members have an altar. Many great orators have a lectern. If you do not belong to any of those categories then you may be in trouble. Do you expect to lecture for an hour in the middle of a warehouse without any furniture around? This is very important to consider.

Do you plan to use the iPad in the Apple store for long periods? Perhaps you can discuss the issue with the manager and request dimmer bulbs for your extended stay there.

13. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

I'm holding out for the iPad 7, I hear it's going to be the Shizz...

14. Gjeepguy macrumors regular

I'm gonna wait till the iPad 3, not because it is too heavy, but i alread have the original iPad and will wait until the screen resolution is increased before upgrading.

Really! 1 pound is too heavy?

15. msduncan macrumors 6502

16. chrisfromalbany macrumors 6502

lucky number 11 here..

BTW.. the battery and glass make up much of the weigh and don't see that going away anytime soon. First iPad at least to me made sense to weigh but now not so much, less you just don't really want one.

17. King Ahab macrumors newbie

This. I plan on having a lot of fun on my iPad 1 in the interim...

18. raynold2010 thread starter macrumors member

I wish you could teach me some exercices, you strong man. ;-)

But I'm still thinking that it could be as light as the Kindle (no publicity stunt here).

19. raynold2010 thread starter macrumors member

iPad 1 : 680 gr.

iPad 2: 601 gr.

iPad 3 : 522 gr. ?

My mistake, I'll wait for the iPad 4.

:D

20. chrisfromalbany macrumors 6502

iPad 1.33 pounds
    kindle .53125 pounds (8.5 ounces)

why not say you want iPad to weigh and be thin as a piece of paper. It has totally different functionality and isn't going to weigh that anytime soon.

21. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

That's rather unreasonable considering the difference in the tech. The screen is bigger (therefore more glass and more weight), and because its an LCD it has much greater power requirements and therefore a much larger battery. And even given all of that, if you compare the iPad to a Kindle DX (which is a slightly more fair comparison), I don't think they are that different in weight.

22. edk99 macrumors 6502a

You are not going to see that big of a difference in weight going from iPad2 to iPad3 as we did see in going from iPad1 to iPad2. Unless they make the back out of plastic or carbon fiber which I think is unlikely to happen.

23. Mr. Biggles macrumors 6502

At least you have a good sense of humor.

24. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Kids Say the Darndest Things

And you're sharing this with the world because...??? :confused:

25. brettatk macrumors regular

If you think the iPad 2 is heavy you better not ever try to pick up the iPad 1. You might get a hernia or something.