Waiting for Mac OSX Lion 10.7.2 or 10.7.3?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Rukuru, Jun 26, 2011.

  1. Rukuru macrumors newbie

    Sep 16, 2010
    My first Mac was a MacBook pro with Tiger 10.4.8, after that I was an early adopter of Leopard, the experience of using 10.5.0 was not very pleasant, and with SL I waited until 10.6.1 and wasn’t very good either. The OS worked ok, but not perfectly tune, I remember a lot of people 2 years ago saying that SL 10.6 .0 was fine, maybe I was drowning in a glass of water but I was only really happy with 10.6.3.
    Should I wait Lion to get 10.7.2 or 10.7.3? I will be more than happy to read other experiences.
    Thank you for sharing:)
  2. Nermal Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    I waited until 10.6.2 before upgrading (although I bought it on release day since my local reseller had a 20% discount) and had very few issues. I'm planning to wait until maybe 10.7.2 or 10.7.3 because there's nothing in the feature list that really jumps out at me, plus it's always a good idea to wait for some bugfixes.

    In other words, I agree with you.
  3. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a


    Oct 23, 2010
    I think I'll just jump on board then they release it. I've never really experienced any huge bug issues when using a new OS from Apple so we'll see what happens!
  4. canadianpj macrumors 6502

    Jun 27, 2008
    Perhaps I just got lucky but I jumped on 10.6 day of release and everything was fine. So chances are the moment 10.7 shows up in the App Store I'll be grabbing it as well.

    I've already checked, the programs I need to rely on have all been tested and work just fine in 10.7.
  5. Mal macrumors 603


    Jan 6, 2002
    I have had a few issues in the past with .0 releases, but I also rely on staying up to date and knowledgable, so I'll be installing it anyways, but making sure everything is backed up safely first.

  6. Boris A macrumors member

    Jun 9, 2008
    I feel like every new 10.X OS release supports the latest out of the door hardware best. This is especially important to consider if your hardware is significantly different from the one currently out.

    I've got a mid-2010 13" MacBook Pro that has a dedicated graphics card, while the new 2011 version doesn't. I think I'll wait at least until 10.7.1 is out and see what issues people are having.
  7. diazj3, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

    diazj3 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 19, 2008
    I also tend to wait for the 2nd or 3rd update to upgrade the OS. That has been the case with Leopard and SL - not only to avoid the bugs on early OS releases themselves, but also because of the ones that arise with 3rd party software I use, and the possible bugs with hardware drivers.

    Even after the 2nd or 3rd update I take extra precautions to upgrade - I do it on a 2nd boot partition/hard drive (mbp/mp), migrate and check that everything works before a definitive change.

  8. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

    Jun 15, 2011
    Syracuse, NY
    Isn't it sad that software obviously ins't adequately bug tested anymore? It's just as bad as Windows now, though Microsoft is getting their act together, Let's see if Lion will punish early adopters!
  9. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

    May 1, 2009
    Define adequate. Do you expect no bugs?
  10. Beavix macrumors 6502a


    Dec 1, 2010
    I've never had any problems with .0 releases.

    Most of the people complaining about .0 releases actually had problems with:

    a) Ancient 3rd party software (hello, Rosetta users).

    b) New 3rd party software but not up-to-date. Remember to update EVERYTHING before upgrading to Lion, especially apps like LittleSnitch, Hands Off and anything else which is rooted deep into the system. Visit the developers' websites or email them asking about compatibility with Lion.

    c) Devices with old drivers which stopped working under the new OS.

    So inform yourself first and then make the jump. Lion DP4 is quite stable, I have no doubts the final release will be great.
  11. axu539 macrumors 6502a

    Dec 31, 2010
    Didn't Snow Leopard have that glitch, in which the Guest Account would eat your main account? Either way though, I've been testing DP4, and it definitely is very stable. Since the DP4 update, I have yet to actually see any bugs, so I'm very hopeful.
  12. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

    Jun 15, 2011
    Syracuse, NY
    I expect a usable system
  13. Ifti macrumors 68000

    Dec 14, 2010
    I'll be creating a bootable SuperDuper image before I actually upgrade (which I'll probably do early on). That way, if anything goes wrong I can simply stick my image back on, an dthen wait for an update - I wont have to pay again if I need to re-download it since I will have paid once already.
  14. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

    Jun 15, 2011
    Syracuse, NY
    You don't pay again to redownload Lion... or any other app on the Mac App Store
  15. antmarobel macrumors 6502


    May 8, 2009
    It's is, though a simple beta 4, a very usable system:p
  16. daneoni macrumors G4


    Mar 24, 2006
    I learnt from Leopard (bad experience) to wait. I waited until 10.6.3 before jumping on SL and intend to repeat the same behavior with Lion. I also adopt this approach...

  17. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030


    Mar 24, 2005
    A religiously oppressed state
    Lion is pretty solid as of now; even not being out yet. Waiting is always safer, but I'll be running 10.7.0.
  18. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

    Mar 3, 2008
    United States
    It is not the OS I would be worried about. It is the third party apps that I use like VectorDesigner that just don't work in Lion.
  19. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

    Aug 7, 2008
    Over there....
    I will be running 10.7.0 from the day of release, never had any problems with 10.5.0 and 10.6.0, and from what iv seen of lion it is very stable
  20. baryon macrumors 68040


    Oct 3, 2009
    I updated to Snow Leopard at 10.6.1 and it was bad. It was actually quite unstable and jerky until 10.6.4 or 10.6.5 or something. I'm not going to wait that long with Lion, I'll upgrade straight away and just deal with it :cool:.

    I want the new features and I'm willing to give up stability and smoothness for the fun... I know it's stupid but I can't wait a year for this to get polished out properly.
  21. ResPublica macrumors regular


    Jun 12, 2011
    People shouldn't exaggerate. I had no problems with 10.6.0 at all, but I use my computer mainly for text editing, so there's not much to break. I'll install 10.7 when it launches, but as always I have a backup system made with Carbon Copy Cloner.
  22. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    Software is incredibly complex and no amount of internal testing fully exposes the bugs. Even a beta does not provide the real world usage that highlights problem areas.

    Then there's scheduling, at some point they have freeze the code base and roll it out. If they waited 100% of the bugs addressed they'd never get 10.7 out the door.

    Operating systems have millions and millions of code and its quite literally an impossible job to fully publish a bug free OS, it doesn't matter if we're talking about MS, apple or anyone else.
  23. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a


    Oct 12, 2007
    New Hampshire, USA
    Especially when you have millions of users updating the day it's out. They're bound to find bugs that Apple employees don't.
  24. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

    Jun 15, 2011
    Syracuse, NY
    I'm not saying that there won't be any bugs if it's done right, there has just been a correlation across the board with releases containing more and more bugs, you could make the argument that software has gotten more complicated over that time frame, which it has, and therefore a correlation between code complexity and number of bugs on release.

    It just feels like more flaws are being shipped out the door with software because users can be there beta guinea pigs. Financially to the company it makes sense, why pay testers when we can have people pay us to get it faster?

    I'm not speaking of strictly apple but as the industry as a whole, and most if not all the companies writing software these days are guilty of this at some point.
  25. JKK photography macrumors regular

    JKK photography

    Jul 14, 2009
    Yeah, I agree.

    I was planning on waiting until the .3 update, because I've found that that's always where things get solid for me, but the DP 4 (latest update) is surprisingly stable and solid. I'll upgrade on launch day.

Share This Page