Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
For the same reason someone would put money in an IRA before the deadline once they realize they're going to have a huge tax bill or be pushed into a higher tax bracket.
That's not the same thing as finding something to purchase to reduce tax liability.

I can either pay a lot of money in taxes each year or I can reduce my tax liability while getting more tools and/or training that help me do my job more efficiently and grow my business.
If you need / want the tools / training then it makes sense to obtain them and write it off. But that's a different reason then buying them to obtain a tax write-off. I donate to charity but I do so not because of the tax write-off but rather because I want to do it. The fact I can write it off on my taxes is a nice benefit but I would never use the write-off as the primary reason for donating.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
What are the chances that the new Mac Pro and MacBook Pro 16" could be announced/released together? That would seem like a convenient way of pushing the next gen hardware at a hands-on event.

Reactions: Aldaris

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
What are the chances that the new Mac Pro and MacBook Pro 16" could be announced/released together? That would seem like a convenient way of pushing the next gen hardware at a hands-on event.
That was what I was thinking, but I really doubt Apple will do any event at this point in the year. Mac Pro was covered at WWDC and I just see a press release at this point, the 16” could get a quiet press release-release as well since it is just another size (most reports I’ve seen said same internals just new touch-bar, keyboard). I’m not in the market for a new laptop just yet but still want to see on released and get the bugs out (I had an early rMBP when they first came out in the summer of 2012 and had the display swapped out twice due to ghosting). I will be looking to replace my laptop hopefully next summer-and hopefully with a 16” :)

As for desktop I am waiting to see some reviews and setups, third party accessory/modules etc. it won’t be a day one purchase but will be at some point.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Again, as far as I’m aware, PC vendors haven’t launched their new Xeon lines either. But it’s been a few weeks since I looked.

Boxx has had them for over a month.
https://www.boxx.com/systems/workstations/w-class/apexx-w4l

HP z6 had them in "spec sheet" for over a month. They are now in the BTO option now in Z6. ( won't ship until December on configs but the same delay for Xeon SP options too. )

[ Z6 W 3223 , 32GB RAM , 256GB M.2 , AMD WX 7100 ===> $4553 ( over $1K more affordable than new Mac Pro . )

if RAM upgrade from the base config HP has with 3rd party RAM it is bigger price gap than that. ]

Dell is stuck in time ( still on Xeon SP x1xx series; no 62xx let alone W 32xx series. ) . And Lenovo also.

Perhaps Apple is waiting until all big 3 big workstation vendors ( HP , Dell , Lenovo ) come out with $1K lower alternatives before Apple can come out with a price list.

Yeah. For high volume, Apple isn't too far behind. But Apple is running out of fig leaf covering.

P.S. When the price cut W 22xx updates come a bit later to the z4 , 5000 ,etc they'll be out of fig leaf altogether.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Maybe r3d running on the Afterburner card? Seems like a waste if Afterburner could only be used for ProRes and ProRes RAW

But it would also be a waste if ProRes RAW wasn't a multiple vendor covering RAW format.
Apple probably has a higher priority on r3d RAW --> ProRes RAW conversion than being more purely a prop for more RED sensor sales.

Apple has a RAW conversion subgroup that steadily adds capability into the macOS foundation. Getting that group hardware so they have better tools is probably on their "to do" list. The issue more so would be what would Apple have to license or do deep collaborate projects on to weave that in.

The FPGA development kit probably doesn't belong to Apple so it seems doubtful they are going hand that out for "free". So doesn't seem likely there is going to be wide open access to the underlying FPGA. If Apple is doing the direct FPGA work then that work will probably be in Apple's interest. Afterburner is probably going to be used as a 'carrot' to get more camera vendors to offer ProRes RAW as an option.

For the Afterburner card to be affordable there needs to be a broader base of demand than just RED sensors. Red's FPGA was so low volume it was in $7K range. If Apple is shooting for a much lower price they probably are going to be aiming at a higher volume than that. If Afterburner's price is just about has high then Apple can settle for small pie like RED did.

If there was an alternative RAW codec that Afterburner would target first it would probably something more "open" or "free to license" perhaps Blackmagic RAW ( if collaborated with Apple ). But RAW formats tend to have a "dig a deeper moat" factor to them, so often used to promote some kind of lock-in. However, if there was kind of more open, archival format to come along, it would make sense for Afterburner to track that.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Boxx has had them for over a month.
https://www.boxx.com/systems/workstations/w-class/apexx-w4l

HP z6 had them in "spec sheet" for over a month. They are now in the BTO option now in Z6. ( won't ship until December on configs but the same delay for Xeon SP options too. )

[ Z6 W 3223 , 32GB RAM , 256GB M.2 , AMD WX 7100 ===> $4553 ( over $1K more affordable than new Mac Pro . )

if RAM upgrade from the base config HP has with 3rd party RAM it is bigger price gap than that. ]

Dell is stuck in time ( still on Xeon SP x1xx series; no 62xx let alone W 32xx series. ) . And Lenovo also.

Perhaps Apple is waiting until all big 3 big workstation vendors ( HP , Dell , Lenovo ) come out with $1K lower alternatives before Apple can come out with a price list.

Yeah. For high volume, Apple isn't too far behind. But Apple is running out of fig leaf covering.

P.S. When the price cut W 22xx updates come a bit later to the z4 , 5000 ,etc they'll be out of fig leaf altogether.

dell has been offering both the SP x1xx and x2xx series on the same computers for some reason, just scroll further down the “more options”. It’s been that way for months, I bought a machine back in June from them using the 6230s.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
How were you able to configure that? I only found one customisable config on that page and when I pick either of the 3223 options (why are there two options saying the same thing) it has a red “memory is a required category” error but won’t let me actually specify any memory option.

Last edited by a moderator:

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
How were you able to configure that? I only found one customisable config on that page and when I pick either of the 3223 options (why are there two options saying the same thing) it has a red “memory is a required category” error but won’t let me actually specify any memory option.

from Z6 page. "Shop" button. Then 1st column , second row (customize and buy) . Pick first 3223, (do nothing on 2nd processor; can't have one), Pick 4 x 8GB , skip Optane M.2. Pick 256GB M.2 , Pick WX 7100 .

Not sure why there are two 3223's entries.
[automerge]1573406922[/automerge]
dell has been offering both the SP x1xx and x2xx series on the same computers for some reason, just scroll further down the “more options”.

Ah... missed those tiny blue "more" drop downs.

Kind of puzzling why they lead with the x1xx ones. Most folks want to buy older and buggier ?

Last edited:

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Pick 4 x 8GB
Like I said - it doesn’t work. 7E1A6DA3-377C-452C-97A0-B37DF618F6F2.jpeg

barmann

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
Germany
For the same reason someone would put money in an IRA before the deadline once they realize they're going to have a huge tax bill or be pushed into a higher tax bracket.

I can either pay a lot of money in taxes each year or I can reduce my tax liability while getting more tools and/or training that help me do my job more efficiently and grow my business.

Of course paying less in taxes is great, but only if your tax deductible purchases are worth what you spend on them .

If you buy overpriced gear, you still waste most of your money .

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
in the spirit of macrumors, here is something i just found on twitter, about what looks like an upgraded pricing configuration above the base model:

The 48GB ( from 32GB ) upgrade is two more 8GB DIMMs ( probably cost in $50-70 range 3rd party. So $100 a piece for those would be bit over in Apple's mark up range (~$88 ), but it is a nice round number. Apple inventory overheat charge to make it even. ).

Vega II $2K ( wouldn't be too surprising in context. Suspect that will draw fair share of grumbling. I suspect it is lower than this.... unless Apple is looking to sell substantially even fewer Mac Pros than I think. I think it is a couple $100's less; not much lower but that is high even for Apple. The iMac Pro 56 Vega to 64X 16GB upgrade is $700 . two of those is 32GB HBMs ( and two GPU 14nm packages swapped for on 7nm one ) for $1,400. So $1,700-1,800 to MPX-ize them. )

2TB $1,110 seems a bit high even for Apple. $800 would be more likely ( can jump from 1TB to 2TB on iMac Pro for $400. So about $400/TB. rate . Similar on iMac 27", you can go from 2TB Fusion to 2TB SSD for $700 ). Apple's SSD prices are so loopy that they try to be somewhat consistent across Mac products with the pricing to give off the appearance of some rationality to the prices.
Apple would need some magic pixie dust explanation for $1,110 after backing off their 2 (and up) TB SSD pricing several months ago.

natallica

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
Fairfax, VA
That's not the same thing as finding something to purchase to reduce tax liability.

If you need / want the tools / training then it makes sense to obtain them and write it off. But that's a different reason then buying them to obtain a tax write-off. I donate to charity but I do so not because of the tax write-off but rather because I want to do it. The fact I can write it off on my taxes is a nice benefit but I would never use the write-off as the primary reason for donating.

I don’t have to justify myself to you. I just pointed out that some of us have budgeted with the idea of having this purchased this year and it potentially not shipping in 2019 makes things complicated. I’m on a 5 year old Mac that’s maxed out spec wise and I’m struggling to make projects work on it so I need more power.

Reactions: OkiRun

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Like I said - it doesn’t work. View attachment 876244

I don't see that. When select the CPU, I'm getting ECC 2933 DIMMs in my memory section and no red "mismatch" warning. ( My link is on the "https://store.hp.com/us/en .... " store ).
If you have mucked around with the 2nd processor category and then tried to clean up back to a 3223 options I get something close to that warning but if just avoid starting or intermediary two CPU configuration I don't see that.

Reactions: defjam

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
so im dumb. i just realized the iMac Pro was announced at the 2017 WWDC. With an announcement on December 12th, that orders would begin December 14th.

I guess what I would like to know, is why wouldn't we expect a similar release schedule for the Mac Pro?

I guess the only difference was, Apple explicitly stated a december release for the iMac pro; however, the Mac Pro is a "Fall" release. Which are different, but could be the same.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
If you have mucked around with the 2nd processor category and then tried to clean up back to a 3223
I didn’t “muck around” with anything.

I tried to see the actual details of the spec you posted by customising to match. It doesn’t work.

Last edited by a moderator:

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
so im dumb. i just realized the iMac Pro was announced at the 2017 WWDC. With an announcement on December 12th, that orders would begin December 14th.

I guess what I would like to know, is why wouldn't we expect a similar release schedule for the Mac Pro?

It was "sneak peak" at WWDC 2017. There was no functioning unit on stage or used for demos. It was all slideware animations. They also pitched straight from the sneak peak that it would be December.

Vega was brand new at that point at the June 2017. The MI50/60 Cards came out about a year ago (https://www.anandtech.com/show/1356...ct-mi60-mi50-accelerators-powered-by-7nm-vega) (and the baseline design for the Polaris 580 year before that. )
Intel has been shipping some W 32xx series processors in small volume for a while. Which is why Apple had actual working systems up on stage for WWDC 2019 for Mac Pro. The basic SSD design for he Mac Pro is based on the iMac Pro . same T2. Minor upgraded Thunderbolt 3. Probably same 10GbE in iMac Pro . etc. etc. etc. Basically 2018 tech here ( some of it slid into 2019 ).

The iMac Pro also wasn't preceded by two years of "dog ate my homework" excuses as to why didn't have anything to ship yet.

I guess the only difference was, Apple explicitly stated a december release for the iMac pro; however, the Mac Pro is a "Fall" release. Which are different, but could be the same.

Apple ran some trailers/videos that had "Fall 2013" for the Mac Pro 2013 ( that bubbled out in December 2013 ). That too doesn't match as closely as WWDC 2013 was also pretty much close to a slideware "sneak peak" intro. But there was more on the Mac Pro at the October 2013 Mac event.

ManuelGomes

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2014
Aveiro, Portugal
Maybe tomorrow, 11.11? It's a nice number, just that :)
The 12 core Xeon W 3235 retails for 1398USD so 1200 is not bad for Apple. Maybe that would make the 16 core 3245 something like 1700ish or so.
Vega for 2k was my first guess as well, but since there's already talk of the Navi 23 for next year, maybe they'll drop a bit so that they'll make it a bit easier on us to swallow a not so new GPU.
SSD seems way out there.

Reactions: Aldaris

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Maybe tomorrow, 11.11? It's a nice number, just that :)

It is also a federal holiday in the USA. So about zero.

The 12 core Xeon W 3235 retails for 1398USD so 1200 is not bad for Apple. Maybe that would make the 16 core 3245 something like 1700ish or so.

if it is just a $100 discount then $1800 would be closer.

Vega for 2k was my first guess as well, but since there's already talk of the Navi 23 for next year, maybe they'll drop a bit so that they'll make it a bit easier on us to swallow a not so new GPU.

Navi23 doesn't appear to be a replacement for Vega20. No mention of Infinity Fabric support being added. Just stuff about hardware Ray tracing and "Nvidia killer" for the high end gaming market. I doubt that is an Apple priority (some proprietary hardware ray tracing stack ) and that they'll probably wait for a computational focused update (with a large , max bandwidth, Memory capacity). Perhaps that is Navi 21 or 22 or something with another code name.

The itchy need soon replacement they'd need would with Navi would be for the 580X not the Vega II's.

And as far as a discount because the tech is "older" ... just take a gander at the Mac Pro 2013 they are still selling at about the same price. There is highly likely no age discount there at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.