Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Maybe tomorrow, 11.11? It's a nice number, just that :)
The 12 core Xeon W 3235 retails for 1398USD so 1200 is not bad for Apple. Maybe that would make the 16 core 3245 something like 1700ish or so.
Vega for 2k was my first guess as well, but since there's already talk of the Navi 23 for next year, maybe they'll drop a bit so that they'll make it a bit easier on us to swallow a not so new GPU.
SSD seems way out there.
11 November is the Veteran's Day holiday in the US. Not every company treats it as paid time off.

ManuelGomes

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2014
Aveiro, Portugal
Sorry, didn't know that about Veteran's day.

200 off in the 12 core (1398->1200), so maybe a bit more for the 16 core that retails for 1999USD, why I put it closer to 1700. But maybe not.

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
I don’t have to justify myself to you. I just pointed out that some of us have budgeted with the idea of having this purchased this year and it potentially not shipping in 2019 makes things complicated. I’m on a 5 year old Mac that’s maxed out spec wise and I’m struggling to make projects work on it so I need more power.
I don't recall asking you to justify anything. If you need a new Mac Pro, which many people do, buy it. Even better if you get a tax deduction for doing so. What I was wondering was, if you're unable to purchase the new Mac Pro in time to write it off for the year why you would go out searching for other tax deductions.

Last edited by a moderator:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Don't think it's a good look for Apple to release or announce via press release any new products on Veterans Day, but that's for their PR department to decide.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
Don't think it's a good look for Apple to release or announce via press release any new products on Veterans Day, but that's for their PR department to decide.
I’m banking on a Tuesday announcement for a Thursday release.
Hopefully next week.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
In case anyone missed this quote from RED on the patent lawsuit with ProResRAW. Not sure we'll see Afterburner integration for RED/R3D as some are hoping. Keep seeing references to METAL only.

“We are pleased to see our REDCODE patents withstand another challenge.To be clear, as I mentioned before, this never really was Apple vs. RED.

It has always been APPLE + RED, and this was all part of the process defining how we work together in the future. RED integration with Apple’s METAL framework for realtime R3D playback is coming along well and the work that the two teams are doing together is exceeding expectations.

We are very excited for the new Mac Pro and the new XDR pro display and the power they bring to the entire RED workflow.”

Jarred Land RED

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
in the spirit of macrumors, here is something i just found on twitter, about what looks like an upgraded pricing configuration above the base model:

If that is accurate, I hope that’s the price of the Vega II Duo. $2000 for a regular Vega II would be a whole heck of a lot of money.

Vega is still a consumer card. That's a lot of money to pay for a slightly upgraded Radeon VII, with consumer branding, and no workstation features.

I would put Vega II Solo as a $1000 upgrade. But Apple certainly can price things unreasonably if they want.

Last edited:

McTaste

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
I can’t configure anything on the hp site, always the same issue mentioned in this thread.

You guys are over the top, chill.

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
"Afterburner is probably going to be used as a 'carrot' to get more camera vendors to offer ProRes RAW as an option."

You hit the nail on the head. With the Lumix film camera market so large, I suspect Panasonic's 2020 offerings (possibly the 8K camera version) might include several that film ProRes natively.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
IN CAMERA ProResRAW is not currently possible due to the R3D patent ruling. External ProResRAW (through Atomos or similar) is where they need to focus for at least immediate future. Non RAW varieties of ProRes are not impacted by this.

Reactions: OkiRun

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
IN CAMERA ProResRAW is not currently possible due to the R3D patent ruling. External ProResRAW (through Atomos or similar) is where they need to focus for at least immediate future. Non RAW varieties of ProRes are not impacted by this.
Are you referring to RED cameras or all cameras? I don't see how the R3D ruling pertains to future Panasonic cinematic cameras... I do know that Apple would need to play nice with Panasonic with the codec.

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
Will need a desk for the Mac Pro.
So far ~ the best fit in my area.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Are you referring to RED cameras or all cameras? I don't see how the R3D ruling pertains to future Panasonic cinematic cameras... I do know that Apple would need to play nice with Panasonic with the codec.

RED owns the patent(s) for compressed RAW in camera. It needs to be licensed from RED (which Atomos does) in some capacity or it’s a patent violation. This applies to ALL CAMERAS for ALL in camera compressed RAW recording. Does not apply to DNG varieties or non compressed RAW formats.

Do not see RED willingly letting Panasonic/ARRI/Sony/etc license easily. Would be easier for Panasonic/etc to deal with Atomos or Apple, both who could license from RED directly and more easily with fewer conflicts.

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
RED owns the patent(s) for compressed RAW in camera. It needs to be licensed from RED (which Atomos does) in some capacity or it’s a patent violation. This applies to ALL CAMERAS for ALL in camera compressed RAW recording. Does not apply to DNG varieties or non compressed RAW formats.

Do not see RED willingly letting Panasonic/ARRI/Sony/etc license easily. Would be easier for Panasonic/etc to deal with Atomos or Apple, both who could license from RED directly and more easily with fewer conflicts.

Thanks for this clarification. Much appreciated.

What a sweet spot for Atomos to be in ~

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
Will the Promise Pegasus HDD option for Mac Pro be encrypted by the T2 chip like the SSD? If not, then best not to put sensitive data on it?

Simon R.

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2006
Considering Intel recently lowered their Xeon prices so a 14-core now costs the same as the 8 core did before Intel's October price cuts, I assume that we will now get the 14-core at the 5,999$ base price...

• Haha
Reactions: wallysb01

jccmaxon

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2013
Considering Intel recently lowered their Xeon prices so a 14-core now costs the same as the 8 core did before Intel's October price cuts, I assume that we will now get the 14-core at the 5,999$ base price...

JAJAJA YES YES It would be normal, but you don't know Apple

shuto

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2016
Do you think the Vega II Duo Module will run at x16 PCIe speed -
So each of the two Vega II GPUs on the card will only run at x8?

Looking at the page, hopefully the MPX connector will mean the two GPUs will both run at x16...

"the MPX Module starts with an industry-standard PCI Express connector. Then, for the first time in a graphics card, additional PCIe lanes were created to integrate Thunderbolt and provide increased capability."

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Will the Promise Pegasus HDD option for Mac Pro be encrypted by the T2 chip like the SSD? If not, then best not to put sensitive data on it?

My understanding is only data on the Apple-issued bootable volume SSD is the "Storage encrypted by the Apple T2 Security Chip." Unsure if this can even be applied to other volumes in PCIe (or TB, USB, etc) but would assume the answer is at least not by default.

As mentioned above, FileVault is an option for those that need it. Many stopped using FileVault with Mojave and MP5,1 due to the GPU requirements.

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
In case anyone missed this quote from RED on the patent lawsuit with ProResRAW. Not sure we'll see Afterburner integration for RED/R3D as some are hoping. Keep seeing references to METAL only.

“We are pleased to see our REDCODE patents withstand another challenge.To be clear, as I mentioned before, this never really was Apple vs. RED.

It has always been APPLE + RED, and this was all part of the process defining how we work together in the future. RED integration with Apple’s METAL framework for realtime R3D playback is coming along well and the work that the two teams are doing together is exceeding expectations.

We are very excited for the new Mac Pro and the new XDR pro display and the power they bring to the entire RED workflow.”

Jarred Land RED
I don't know how you came to that conclusion, for me it's more likely that we'll see R3D running on Afterburner after this lawsuit ruling. FCPX is heavy utilizing Metal & it seems very likely that the Afterburner is using an ASIC for the purpose of accelerating Metal & thus if RED get R3D to run on Metal then it would also be accelerated by Afterburner (if Apple isn't locking 3rd parties out, but since Jarred made it clear that it is Apple + RED and not Apple VS RED & they will work together moving forward & maybe that could include Afterburner)

But lets see, who knows (other than Apple and RED), i think it would be a good move for "them" both though

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Afterburner is using an ASIC for the purpose of accelerating Metal

Unfortunately, this is not what has been advertised with Afterburner's functionality. It's not a Metal acceleration card (really wish it was). It is designed and programmed as a ProRes and ProResRAW acceleration card. That is what has been advertised to date and that is it's only functionality at this time.

Unless Apple releases an SDK or other vendors/manufacturers develop and release methods to change or adopt Afterburner to their own codec decode and encode, it will be nothing more than an expensive ProRes accelerator card.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
Unfortunately, this is not what has been advertised with Afterburner's functionality. It's not a Metal acceleration card (really wish it was). It is designed and programmed as a ProRes and ProResRAW acceleration card. That is what has been advertised to date and that is it's only functionality at this time.

Unless Apple releases an SDK or other vendors/manufacturers develop and release methods to change or adopt Afterburner to their own codec decode and encode, it will be nothing more than an expensive ProRes accelerator card.

I could swear somewhere Apple stated it could be extended with new firmware in the future and implied that meant potential support for other codecs. Maybe I just imagined that, could be wishful thinking playing tricks on my memory.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
I could swear somewhere Apple stated it could be extended with new firmware in the future and implied that meant potential support for other codecs. Maybe I just imagined that, could be wishful thinking playing tricks on my memory.

They've said it could be reprogrammed, but I don't think they've elaborated at all as to what potential features it has, or if they're actually going to do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.