Waiting for the 2019 16.4 Inch Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gadgetfreaky, Jul 25, 2019.

1. gadgetfreaky macrumors 65816

So- even more rumors out today that it's coming this fall from Ming. He also says this will be the first macbook reverting to the Scissor keyboard mechanism. Here is what I'd love to see in this machine for it to be my dream machine:

Things I expect
    - 16.4 inch LCD screen
    - Vega 20 GPU
    - 14nm 45 w intel CPIU
    - Scissor Keyboard
    - FACE ID (no rumors on this at all but this should be done with a big redesign).

Things I'd love but won't happen for a while
    - 17.3 inch screen
    - promotion 120 mHz
    - OLED
    - Next Gen AMD Navi GPU
    - 10 nm 45 CPU

2. Apathy Overdose macrumors member

It's probably very unlikely but it would be nice if you could spec it DOWN to lower the price. I don't really need Xeon processor or 128gb RAM. I would love it if I could put in the same 6-core cpu and 16gb RAM that are in the base 15" now for the same or close to the same price.

3. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 65816

the xeon rumors are interesting and it's possible. I don't need Xeon either.

pricing rumor is around 3K tho which does suggest some nice innards.

4. keithop macrumors member

I don't understand why they dont have face id yet, windows hello is out there and works great!

16.4 would win me over immediately and I'll buy BUT what I'd WISH for....

back to scissor keyboard is fine, but I'd like them to go back to a decent key feedback. I feel like ok they'll go back to scissor but that's no guarantee that they will improve the feel. I'm not asking for a huge change, just a little higher and nicer key feel.

Fan setup that means normal use, web/word/editor etc. doesnt cause any fan noise at all.

I'd love an old USB port. Just one would do me ( but yeah no chance)
    I'd love an SD card slow (but yeah no chance)
    I'd love an hdmi out (but no chance and no space)

I guess I'll cope with all the dongles :( IF The keyboard is at least improved enough to make me want to type on it.

5. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 65816

FaceID required them to find space for the camera and thus requires a slight redesign. the new 16,4 no bezel machine would be the place to do it.

6. pshufd macrumors 65816

I was thinking that this is pretty sad that there's a lot of distance between what you want and what you'd settle for.

Apple products should be "no compromises". You can get that in the Windows world except for the biggest compromise.

Windows.

7. kp98077 macrumors 6502a

kp98077

Also, not sure if I am alone and missed this? When did apple lower their prices on the Pros?? cant believe on some $200?!
    Cant wait to see price of the new 16! Bet is $3199 starting...

8. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

As far as pricing goes, it would be my hope that Apple cans the top spec 15-inch and the new 16.4-inch model take its place.

9. sennomulo macrumors member

I don't need a whole lot of bells and whistles, personally. I love my current 15″ 2018 MBP, with the exception of the unreliable keyboard and its small 256 GB SSD. They only need to offer something comparable to this but with a decent keyboard, and I'll upgrade instantly with a bigger SSD this time. Unless it's a $5,000 MacBook Pro "Pro" geared toward high-end video production. I can't justify spending a huge amount of money on power I won't use. I could justify spending a little extra cash for the larger screen and the discrete GPU for playing games, but in the end I'm just a regular guy who likes MacOS, the rigid unibody chassis, and trackpads and speakers that don't suck. If I have to go back to a 13″ for the sake of my wallet, so be it. But I think there should be a refreshed 15″ or a new 16″ among the six model numbers that's appropriate for the average non-pro consumer.

I hope they don't add Face ID. It'll be an extra expense for something I won't use. I keep my laptop camera covered. If they remove Touch ID, I'll be typing in my password, so I really hope that stays. It's fine just the way it is if you ask me.

10. emraha06 macrumors member

i expect lots of problems for users which cause suffering because of high price payment and expectations. I wait lots of bugs, problems and defects about new oled display. I wish I am wrong but i think many customers will have headhache because of defective manufacturing of new platform. After a few years, the feedbacks , experiments of customers may force apple to produce non-defective products. I always loved apple products but i always had manufacturing issues with them. My latest product is 2019 15" i9 macbook pro but it has flickering pixels which makes eye strain and headache. I live in Turkey and it is very very hard to tell this an apple technician and order a replecament. If there is no major problem, nobody understands you.

11. keithop macrumors member

well yep you're exactly right and I do feel like I'm compromising whichever way I go.

I still prefer macos and the apple ecosystem but I have to give up some very useful laptop features these days.

Still, a nice big screen, a better keyboard.... then it's just learning to pack a little usbc dock with sd/hdmi/usb. Shouldn't be necessary but ok

12. MrGunnyPT macrumors 6502

MrGunnyPT

Honestly I think they would shoot themselves in the foot by putting Vega in there.. but hey we don't know how far AMD is with their mobility parts sooo.. most likely Vega.

I'm going to wait for the full product reveal & reviews but if I like it.. I might pick it up.

13. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

Looking forward to the new keyboard. I'd also be really happy to see Face ID and the return of Magsafe.

14. Larvas macrumors member

Larvas

Somehow I think that this will be a test product, while the 2020 version will be the one to look out for...

15. keithop macrumors member

yeah forgot about magsafe... shame that went it was really nice

usbc has done nothing for me to be honest, I'd prefer range of "old style" ports with perhaps one usbc for future proofing

not that I think that's remotely likely
    --- Post Merged, Jul 26, 2019 ---
    I dont think it's a TEST .... interim you may say given that it's hard to ignore the possibility of an ARM based system in the next couple of years.

..I suspect it's rather more that they've been able to get rid of the bezels and there'll probably be a 14/16 instead of a 13/15 in the range - kinda easy to do without a MAJOR redesign. Slot in the new screen with less bezel, automatic advantage, done. (although I'm hoping there's a better keyboard as rumoured too, but again, easy without a major redesign)

I wouldn't bet against this rounding out the Intel days and any radically new design in the coming years being ARM based.

16. leman macrumors G3

I am fairly sure it will have 10mn Ice Lake and AMD Navi (or whatever it will be called) with GDDR6 + HMB2 version as a premium upgrade. Not sure at all about all the other stuff.

17. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 65816

how will it have 10nm Ice Lake when there are no 45 TDP ice lake chips in sight?

18. leman macrumors G3

I though they should be coming this all? Or did I confuse something?

19. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 65816

There is no sign of a 45 TDP 10nm from Intel. It's not on the roadmap for this year or even next year. the yields are super terrible so it's not profitable for intel to make yet.

20. poorcody macrumors 6502a

poorcody

This is what seems so odd to me about releasing a new high-end MBP this year. What processor would it have? The same as the 15"? If so, what is the compelling reason for a new machine? Bumping the screen size by less than an inch doesn't seem like it would be enough by itself.

Is there an AMD laptop chip they could use? Seems too early for an Apple-ARM chip considering there has been no developer support released. Is there a higher-end Intel chip available from the current batch?

21. leman macrumors G3

Oh, so they won't have 8-core SKUs out any time soon? Thats beyond annoying.

22. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 65816

There are other chips they could use. Either new iterations of 14nm architecture or as others have speculated- Xeon.

23. kp98077 macrumors 6502a

kp98077

I kind of agree, an inch for what $500 more? for a perfectly already fine 2019 15??! make no sense at all TBH

24. leman macrumors G3

I am looking at the leaked roadmap right now, the next H-class SKUs would be Comet Lake. Maybe that one? Coffee Lake Xeons are literally the same chip as ones they use right now.