Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
is the 16.4 actually going to be larger or thicker than the 15?

Well how can any of us know?

...but personally I'd be absolutely fine trading some size for a better keyboard, larger screen, more ports (no chance I know), better thermals, BUT I suspect that given Apple's dedicated to form over function, especially in this area, it'll be the same general size but with a large screen enabled by smaller bezels.

Khaos1

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2017
Yes I know, even then I would think twice trusting a company with a rotating scan and a face signature.

Most people log onto a computer and use it for a while, is it that much of a chore to use touch ID or something? People here are acting like faceID on a mac will be some amazing feature but I just don't see it. It makes sense on a phone but it's not a big deal on a laptop.

FaceID will be useful for day-to-day authentication of passwords, purchases and other login methods and would provide a much more seamless experience compared to TouchID.

Reactions: Never mind

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Well how can any of us know?

...but personally I'd be absolutely fine trading some size for a better keyboard, larger screen, more ports (no chance I know), better thermals, BUT I suspect that given Apple's dedicated to form over function, especially in this area, it'll be the same general size but with a large screen enabled by smaller bezels.
almost certainly correct

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
It's probably very unlikely but it would be nice if you could spec it DOWN to lower the price. I don't really need Xeon processor or 128gb RAM. I would love it if I could put in the same 6-core cpu and 16gb RAM that are in the base 15" now for the same or close to the same price.

Honestly i’d prefer an 8-core i9 but clocked at 1.4ghz no lol that plus a baseline Vega option (even if it’s a lower Vega) would be best for me. Newer tech, high raw specs (Vega/i9) but keep the heat and noise down for a more quiet and satisfying work experience. Probably longer battery life too without me having to turn off hyper threading or turbo boost for casual use.

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Honestly i’d prefer an 8-core i9 but clocked at 1.4ghz no lol that plus a baseline Vega option (even if it’s a lower Vega) would be best for me. Newer tech, high raw specs (Vega/i9) but keep the heat and noise down for a more quiet and satisfying work experience. Probably longer battery life too without me having to turn off hyper threading or turbo boost for casual use.

yep wholeheartedly agree with this. The silence was always something I prized with MBP over pc brands and I don't know about the 2019 since I dont have one, but 2016/17/18 was awful in terms of noise in casual use :(

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
one odd thing- Ming Kuo knows ALL the hardware supply chain leaks. he may not guess pricing or timing well but he knows what's in the supply chain.

not one word of face ID at all. Seems like that would be something he'd say ahead of time if it were happening now or soon at all.

Reactions: BarredOwl

Neilfau

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2012
UK
likely same footprint as 15.4 - perhaps a bit bigger. all coming from bezel reduction.

Actually if you do the maths a 16.4" will not fit into a 15" MacBook chassis even if there are no bezels! It means the new 16.4" MacBook will be slightly bigger than the current 15" and going to scissor keys its possible it will also be slightly thicker.... but thats not a bad thing.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Actually if you do the maths a 16.4" will not fit into a 15" MacBook chassis even if there are no bezels! It means the new 16.4" MacBook will be slightly bigger than the current 15" and going to scissor keys its possible it will also be slightly thicker.... but thats not a bad thing.

It does, I measured. A 16” display can easily fit into the existing screen dimensions. 16.4” is a bit tighter, but still doable (the bezel needs to be veeeery thin though).

P.S. to be exact, the current 15” diagonal is more or less exactly 16.66”

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
It does, I measured. A 16” display can easily fit into the existing screen dimensions. 16.4” is a bit tighter, but still doable (the bezel needs to be veeeery thin though).

I'm hoping for bigger for bigger battery and better thermals. Going 16.4 would be the perfect excuse for Apple to go bigger on the chassis. Maybe they could bring back the function keys with a row for the Touch Bar above it too.

Neilfau

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2012
UK

Well I think it will definitely be a 16.4" to keep the same PPI and aspect ration of 16:10... if the current MacBook is 16.66" that means yeah this thing will be pretty much have a 0.13" / 3.3mm bezel, impressive if true.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
what is the math for the size?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I'm hoping for bigger for bigger battery and better thermals. Going 16.4 would be the perfect excuse for Apple to go bigger on the chassis. Maybe they could bring back the function keys with a row for the Touch Bar above it too.

I would hope not since it would make it a deal-breaker for me.

what is the math for the size?

Pythagorean theorem?

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Do we think the screen will be thick enough to fit faceID? I'd love for that to be part of the upgrade but I'm a bit worried that the components require too much thickness to be part of the screen on a MBP.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Do we think the screen will be thick enough to fit faceID? I'd love for that to be part of the upgrade but I'm a bit worried that the components require too much thickness to be part of the screen on a MBP.
FaceID is one of my top asks but I'm worried I have not seen any supply chain rumors on it it. It just makes sense that FaceID is best introd in a redesign so most of us are assuming it's happening with the 16.4 inch.

but yeah they could find room for it.

CPTmom2wp

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
Yes I know, even then I would think twice trusting a company with a rotating scan and a face signature.

Most people log onto a computer and use it for a while, is it that much of a chore to use touch ID or something? People here are acting like faceID on a mac will be some amazing feature but I just don't see it. It makes sense on a phone but it's not a big deal on a laptop.

There are a lot of us who do work on laptops where we move in and out of the workspace sometimes several times within an hour. It isn't safe or feasible to leave the laptop unlocked between uses and is annoying to have to log in for each discrete use. FaceID would be amazing and save significant time. There is also the potential security threat of having people you are working with see you typing in your UN (automated PW) or actual PW (non-automated). FaceID would most likely be optional like it is on the phone, for those who prefer old school methods.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
There are a lot of us who do work on laptops where we move in and out of the workspace sometimes several times within an hour. It isn't safe or feasible to leave the laptop unlocked between uses and is annoying to have to log in for each discrete use. FaceID would be amazing and save significant time. There is also the potential security threat of having people you are working with see you typing in your UN (automated PW) or actual PW (non-automated). FaceID would most likely be optional like it is on the phone, for those who prefer old school methods.
Yep FaceID would be better for a lot of work environments and save a ton of time. A lot more frictionless but effective security which is what we all would like.

I've wanted FaceID on the MBP a long time- always assumed it would come - just no supply chain rumors from Ming or anyone of the like saying its' coming.

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
Yep FaceID would be better for a lot of work environments and save a ton of time. A lot more frictionless but effective security which is what we all would like.

I've wanted FaceID on the MBP a long time- always assumed it would come - just no supply chain rumors from Ming or anyone of the like saying its' coming.

Well even though the Pro Display XDR and Mac Pro were outlined roughly, there still were a lot of details that only surfaced at the Conference, like the Design Language, Ports, Dynamic Range, Modularity Details... I think the lower production capacity together with a smaller target audience -- and therefore less Media attention -- makes it easier for Apple to keep its cards close to its chest.

So I hope we're still in for a lot of positive surprises :) But that's just wishful thinking at that point, obviously

Reactions: gadgetfreaky

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Well even though the Pro Display XDR and Mac Pro were outlined roughly, there still were a lot of details that only surfaced at the Conference, like the Design Language, Ports, Dynamic Range, Modularity Details... I think the lower production capacity together with a smaller target audience -- and therefore less Media attention -- makes it easier for Apple to keep its cards close to its chest.

So I hope we're still in for a lot of positive surprises :) But that's just wishful thinking at that point, obviously
FaceID would be a nice surprise - just continued leaks on the screen and timing around September which makes sense since the iPhone this year doesnt have a lot of upgrafes. But no leaks on FaceID.
If it has FaceId I'll be happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.