Waiting for the next 13" MBP refresh

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teaneedz, May 15, 2010.

  1. teaneedz macrumors member


    Dec 8, 2009
    Anyone care to guess when the next refresh might be?

    I'm going to plug away on my 12" PB until I see a worthy replacement. I do not want to pay for C2D technology at this point in the product life cycle. I've been patient this long and can wait a bit longer. I don't know if Intel and Nvidia will shake hands, Apple will dump Intel in favor of something AMD may be coming out with or whatever other variables are in the equation.

    But I do want an MBP that's not using end of life technology and that fits into 12-13 inches. 15" is not my choice. Mobiliy with power is. OS X and the command line is where I want to be.

    This board is so great! Any thoughts on how long Apple will wait to refresh the 13"?
  2. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a


    Sep 1, 2007
    Apple will wait

    As long as they want :) There is no guarantee that the next refresh will have what you want. My advice is get the 15". Remember unlike your PB, you don't need to travel with a charger because the battery lasts so long. If you look at other manufacturers 13" offerings, there seem to be many compromises to get the i5 in there.
  3. Beric macrumors 68020


    Jan 22, 2008
    Bay Area
    6-10 months, according to the buyer's guide.

    Several of us long-time Mac users on the boards are seriously checking out other PC laptops, such as the Envy 14. It makes no compromises. And frankly, a 13" platform is too small to put good hardware in. Look at how much the 13" Vaio Z costs for its hardware. The MBP 13" will most likely keep the 320M or something similar next round, and get a Core i3 (no i5 with the current cooling system). So if you're willing to wait 6-10 months for that kind of minimal upgrade, do so. But if you really need power in a small chassis, you'll need to look in something other than a Mac laptop. The choice is yours.
  4. vant macrumors 65816

    Jul 1, 2009
    The Core i3 performs identical to the C2Ds found in the MBP13. Also, you won't find nVidia chips in a Core MBP13 unless its dedicated (licensing issues).

    The main issue here is spec whores can't get over the name. If Intel rebranded the Core 2 Duo chips into Core i3, we wouldn't be having this issue (even though both perform the same).
  5. Beric macrumors 68020


    Jan 22, 2008
    Bay Area
    Exactly. Hence why I'm not waiting for the next rev.
  6. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816


    Jul 13, 2009
    I don't think apple will ever release a worthy successor to the 12" PB. I think you should probably move onto another brand.
  7. johnnymg macrumors 65816


    Nov 16, 2008
    Earliest silent update would be late Fall. Very likely not until after Feb 2011. i.e. don't hold your breath.

  8. altecXP macrumors 65816

    Aug 3, 2009
    The i3 performs at a lower clock rate and uses less energy and produces less heat. Both of those translate to better battery life.
  9. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

    Aug 14, 2009
    this new MBP 13" is an excellent machine

    the 320M is way better than 9400M and the battery life is awesome

    unless you have huge things to do with your machine, there is no need for a quad core in this model
  10. vty macrumors member

    May 8, 2010
    I put an SSD in my 13" that I received yesterday, an OCZ Vertex 2. I bought the "fastest" MLC SSD because I was hugely worried about the C2D performance. This thing screams. It takes me about 3 seconds to boot from the time at which EFI starts showing the spinning animation (that's when its actually accessing the HDD).

    I'm going to start messing with virtualization now that I've got the stock HDD in the optical bay and will report performance there.

    I've used quad+ cores for the last 2 years, so I was hugely hesistant and annoyed with Apple as I ONLY wanted the 13" when this refresh came around. The c2d thing really sat sour with me.

    No regrets. I've never, ever seen the beachball on this thing.
  11. stillageek macrumors newbie

    May 4, 2010
    I thought long and hard about a 13 inch MBP but it's essentially the same as my current 15 inch MBP (2.4 GHZ, 8600GT 256 MB Video Card). Only improvement is battery life...that's it. Can't justify $1200 for something I already have. I really wanted a smaller computer as I travel for a living....but I too and long at PCs
  12. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

    Aug 27, 2008
    I had a 2008 15" MBP, just got the 2010 13" MBP. Much more portable and loving the battery life!
  13. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

    Aug 14, 2009

    i already had the previous 13" before, sold it to get a mac mini

    now that i have to move i'll need a laptop, so i'm getting the new 13"

    i was absolutely happy with the old one (had a SSD inside)

    i'll be happy with the new one for sure (i will also get a SSD, an intel again)
  14. burp macrumors newbie

    May 12, 2010
    i'd probably wait as well in your position.
    i just had to replace my dead macbook and the 13'' was unsatisfactory (for the C2d as you said).

    ended up with a vaio z.
    i miss OS X, but the hardware compensates :)
    regarding the command line,, i've found that cygwin is a viable option.

    when the sony will die, i can hopefully go back to a powerful and updated mac .
  15. nexus14 macrumors member

    May 11, 2010
    have fun waiting for 2011!

    hardware will always improve with progression of time
  16. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

    Aug 14, 2009

    omg buying a vaio... :eek:
  17. burp macrumors newbie

    May 12, 2010
    what can i say,
    i'm surprised as well :eek:

    i assure you that given a valid apple alternative, i wouldn't have thought about it twice!

    the real test will be the first hardware problem.
    apple has been very efficient in this respect (i had several problems with the macbook, always solved in a fast and painless way),
    i'll see what happens with sony..
  18. johnnymg macrumors 65816


    Nov 16, 2008
    Congrats on the putting together such a nice "little" computer. :p
  19. johnnymg macrumors 65816


    Nov 16, 2008
    Did you even test the new 13" MBP or did you make your decision based on reading specs? :rolleyes:

    I've owned Uber PC's and this little 13" (with an SSD) kicks serious ass and has insanely good battery life.
  20. Soordhin macrumors member

    Apr 13, 2010
    Berlin, Germany
    I made the same decision. Went for the vaio z instead of the 13'' MBP after testing it briefly. I need the computing power and portability the vaio offers (weighs a pound less than the 13'' MBP), besides it is actually cheaper than a same spec 13'' MBP over here in germany thanks to apples policy on prices although that didn't really matter to me. Wish apple would offer some current technology small form factor notebook, not some 2 year old stuff.
  21. burp macrumors newbie

    May 12, 2010
    you're right, specs alone are not enough..
    found out personally after my first asus notebook ~13 years ago
    (long story, sad ending).

    many reviews were out already on both machines, and i'd say it's pretty clear that i5 > c2d 2.66 (top of the line mbp 13'').
    add to this:
    - the ssd on the sony is triple raid 0 (at least on my model)
    - you have a 330m (means CUDA/openCL, i can use it to do actual work)
    - it weights a bit more than a mba
    - the resolution is better than a 15'' mbp (low-res version of course)

    as much as i like OS X and the care for details apple puts in its design,
    this was simply too much to ignore, given that i keep a laptop for 2/3 years.
    (again, note that my macbook died.. if i had time as the OP, i probably would have waited)

    you give me a similar or slightly lower config on an apple?
    i buy it now.

    battery life is of course worse, i get 5hs..
  22. olihope macrumors newbie

    May 9, 2010

    I bought (my first MAC) tomorrow, MBP 13.3 2.4Ghz, and is't better than all notebooks i now ...

    I was so annoyed with NO-I cpus, but in MBP 13.3" should be i3 or i5, i3 is't the same what c2d 2.4Ghz, and i5 ist too expensive to be price 1199 usd

    and i5 cpu must have Intel HD,

    so apple don't want Intel HD (only) --> 2 graphic --> to expensive ...

    I want to buy MBP 15" 2.4 i5, antiglare highresolution, but cost 2000 Euro,
    So i want MBP 13 for 1100Euro
  23. nick1516 macrumors 6502a


    Sep 21, 2008
    Probably not until early 2011. Which is when I'll probably upgrade.
  24. teaneedz thread starter macrumors member


    Dec 8, 2009
    Probably true ... Apple is looking at the 13" through a different set of eyes today.

    I suppose I could go elsewhere and move to Ubuntu but I've been with OS X since it came out. I doubt if I'll have a similar user experience with another brand. OS X just works and works well. Being able to reach into UNIX whenever I want is not just a preference but a need for me.

    Windows 7 is not for me even though it is a huge improvement for Microsoft.

    I may be plugging away a bit longer on my PB.

Share This Page