Waiting for the Skylake Macbook Pro Thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lavrishevo, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lavrishevo, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I'm on the fence. My 2011 is feeling its age. Just dropped it off for its 2nd main board replacement due to the AMD GPU issues. Anyway, it is still a good computer. Scores over 9300 on Geekbench 3 32 bit which is pretty good considering its age. Honestly, with the Samsung 840 pro and trim enabled it runs just a tad slower then my friends rmpb from early 2014. With that said I don't think Haswell / Broadwell will give much besides battery life and maybe a slight bump in specs. I guess what I am wondering is will it be the end of the year or next before Skylake is implemented? Don't think I can wait till next year at this point and I am not too impressed with the 13" performance numbers. Not when my 5 year mbp is still faster then the new 13" Haswell. Were talking 6741 for the new top of the line 13" and I can get 9500 from a 5 year old 15" :confused:

http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-2...set-supports-ddr4-gt4e-graphics-chip-desktop/

2. Damtoft macrumors member

You should wait for Cannonlake, that's the REAL upgrade.

3. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Just out of curiosity, I ran Geekbench in tryout mode (32 bit only) and got a Multi-Core score of 12711.

So I guess there's about a 40% gain on yours.. not bad for 3 years difference.

4. lavrishevo, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

In my experience, playing with the new mbp vs my nearly 5 year old quad core I7 2.2 sure does not feel 40% faster. Rendering a long video may prove otherwise. I plan on building a hackintosh for this anyway. The daily stuff is quite close which is what makes me want to wait for Skylake. Cannonlake won't be till 2017. Of course I would love that cpu. Skylake is supposed to be more impressive then the mid cycle Broadwell.

5. doitdada macrumors 6502a

doitdada

I keep forgetting what I finally will use the computer for while waiting for the new computer.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.