Waiting In Line For The Iphone 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by speeddevil45678, Jun 9, 2008.

1. speeddevil45678 macrumors member

Hey guys, i got a quick question. I wanna get the new iphone on the day of its release. I live by NYC and i was thinking about picking it up at the 5th Ave store. I was wondering when would u suggest me to start camping out on line? Day before? 2 days? 3 days???

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

2 - 3 days?? Are you kidding? Just go in the same day. There's not going to be massive lines, unless there are people who just want to hang around to see it.

3. speeddevil45678 thread starter macrumors member

4. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

I had the same question. I would hate missing out on getting one on release day.

5. piecinitup macrumors member

I'm thinking I'll just go the day after, I have a feeling they will have plenty of stock, but we'll find out closer to release. I wonder if they're doing another 6:00 pm release? or just when the store opens. If it's when the store opens i don't think there will be lines at all, as long as they have plenty of stock.

Is anyone else having trouble deciding over the white or black one?

Ugh, damn you apple for another month of waiting, i'm ready to buy NOW!

6. jakeacc macrumors regular

camping out for 2 or 3 days?!? Don't you have a job or classes to attend?

I think as July 11th approaches, just call your local AT&T store and ask what time they will start selling the iPhones. (my guess will be at 6pm) Then show up a few hours before then.

Although, I don't know about NYC....could be pretty packed.

7. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I have far to much of a life to do this.

as in one at all

8. D4F Guest

D4F

I have 3 AT&T stores within 4 miles and 2 apple stores within 10miles so I'm confident I'll get it on day 1 :D

As for the color... I would love the white to be all white. Back only doesn't look so appealing to me. I wanna see it first but I'm leaning towards the dark side. :D

9. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

Wait and see, I'm betting on 3 days :eek:

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Last June at the Soho store, the line stretched around the block and up...hundreds in line at 6pm. By 7:30 you could walk right into the store and buy a phone.

11. mtfield macrumors 6502

Wont be the case this year if at&t does the whole in store activation and the same number show up... will take waaayyyyyyyy longer

12. speeddevil45678 thread starter macrumors member

I do have a life, more than u think actually(ert3), it was a simple question and u don't have to be a ****ing smart ass. OBVIOUSLY im a nub when it comes to this "following products when they drop and getting one A.S.A.P" If i didnt have a life, i wouldn't even be asking a question about this, i would have known from prior experience. And also might i add, ert3, that my join date was 2 months ago, so dont u think if i didnt have a life i would've been one of the oldest members here( no offense to the seniors on this website, i have much respect for the in dept articles and blogs that u guys do). So yeah thanks a lot for the REAL advice on this thread. * ONE MONTH AWAY*

13. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

Don't forget that you have to pay extra for the 16GB version to get the white option.
    Alan

14. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

^^^ No you don't ......

edit: o sry my bad. I thought you meant you had to pay more than $299 for the white. Sorry!

15. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

im going to go to the mall about 2 hours before to see if a line is forming, if it is ill jump in, if its not ill shop for a little or go upstairs and catch a short movie in the theater.

16. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Weren't the Apple Stores dispersing the lines for the original iPhone launch? I don't think you'll be able to form a line until a few hours before 6 pm on the 11th.

17. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I'm gonna start calling some AT&T stores the night before. No way I'm going into an Apple Store to buy it, that's where the lines will be.

18. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I'll probably just bounce around a few stores until I find one.

19. Clipse79 macrumors regular

I`m already lined up! Thank God I saved all those personal days at work...

20. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

Where?

post a pic! :eek:

21. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

movie while the line dies down, genius :D

22. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

I think this time your gonna see less people because they are forcing people to have a contract before buying it (not sure how the apple store will do this). Also your not gonna see all the a**hats trying to buy them for ebay this time around because they can't without the contract.

23. guru_ck macrumors 6502

Good point, that should cut the line down quite a bit. I still think there is going to be a nice size crowd though because of the activation process.

24. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

The Apple Store in middle of nowheresville (where I live) had a line of a couple hundred people when they released iPhone v1 at 6 p.m. So iPhone v2 for cheap... minus the iPhone v1 people who won't buy one... plus 10-12 minutes per activation... guesstimates a few hours of wait time.

I'm hoping they plan to do it a little earlier, but on a Friday (July 11th), I'm betting 6 p.m. again. Hopefully they have a plan that means more than just a bunch of employees activating phones.

25. dohspc macrumors regular

dohspc

I want to wait in line this time (be a part of "history"). When do they let you start standing in line?