Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Since this is going to be one of those purchases that the internets could be down.... I thought of waiting in line at my local Apple Store.
Is anyone else planning on this? What time are you going to show up?
I have a business account, so, I hope t isnt’t a hassle.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I personally wouldn’t unless I was going to be first in line. I expect the X will have extremely limited inventory like the 6+ and 7+.

That means less than 10 on average so you could end up wasting your time very easily.

Reactions: ABC5S

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
I still think plenty find the X new and exciting today. It's just your views have changed over the years were you don't feel the same as others. Everyone is different.
Let's be honest, the hype around new iphone this year is much much much smaller than it was couple of years ago. I'm not saying that it's not a great phone and offers a great redesign, but competition has gotten so good in the past three years, that iPhones just dont stand out that much anymore and dont offer anything more to justify high price.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Let's be honest, the hype around new iphone this year is much much much smaller than it was couple of years ago. I'm not saying that it's not a great phone and offers a great redesign, but competition has gotten so good in the past three years, that iPhones just dont stand out that much anymore and dont offer anything more to justify high price.

I would say the iPhone 8 hype was much lower, but given iPhone X, I think it's fairly obvious the hype is fairly strong. I think a lot of the smart phones do the same thing, just in different measures. Primarily somebody chooses the platform over the hardware for preference. Samsung makes a great phone, you have the Google Pixel, and of course the iPhone. But given these fluctuating prices, it makes it harder for one to want to upgrade, especially given if they are content with the current phone they are using.

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
Since this is going to be one of those purchases that the internets could be down.... I thought of waiting in line at my local Apple Store.
Is anyone else planning on this? What time are you going to show up?
I have a business account, so, I hope t isnt’t a hassle.

Why line up?

I've never queued up for any device. I pre-order online and always get it on launch day. The iPhone 6 Plus my most memorable i ordered on apple (UK) an got it day one.

I remember seeing delivery slip into weeks a few hours later. Same with the AirPods got mine day one by pre-ordering online.

Generally if you pre-order online within a good time frame of when it goes up you'll most likely get it on launch day.

MjWoNeR

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Sweden
I don’t wait in lines if I don’t have to. Anything more than half an hour and I’m out of there.
I always preordered online. If there is a delay, so be it.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
I paid a company for someone to stand in line for me, but cancelled last week because I plan on pre-ordering. That's money saved, time saved for me.

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017

The hype for X is definitely bigger than the hype for 6s.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I personally wouldn’t unless I was going to be first in line. I expect the X will have extremely limited inventory like the 6+ and 7+.

That means less than 10 on average so you could end up wasting your time very easily.
Totally agree. I expect that each store will have just a handful.

Bballrob

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2017
Alaska
I once went to one of these lineup parties. I arrived at 4 am and was 3rd in line. I got one of the Golden iPhones the first time they made them in that color. The line really began to form in earnest a little after 6 am. It was pretty fun. Especially when my wife came by around 6:45 with some hot breakfast for me.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
I once went to one of these lineup parties. I arrived at 4 am and was 3rd in line. I got one of the Golden iPhones the first time they made them in that color. The line really began to form in earnest a little after 6 am. It was pretty fun. Especially when my wife came by around 6:45 with some hot breakfast for me.

It’s been a while for me to stand in line. But I may try it this year just to make sure I get one. . I guess I’m a week ahead. I’m so excited I thought release day was this week.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Totally agree. I expect that each store will have just a handful.

I expect some stores to have zero. As we’ve seen with the Gold 5S, 6+, JB7+, AirPods and Apple Watch, some stores will have barely any inventory while others, usually in smaller states, get shafted with a trickle every couple of weeks.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I don’t see a point in waiting in line, unless you want that experience.

You’ll have a better chance doing it online.

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
i think waiting in line would be a nigtmare and a waste of valuable time (at least for me). I'm going to pre-order online and whatever delivery date it is so be it, can't spend too much time thinking about when i'll get a damn cell phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.