Waiting till Day 600.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iNeedAMacPro, Jan 23, 2012.

  1. iNeedAMacPro, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012

    iNeedAMacPro macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2012
    #1
    Hi guys,

    I've been following this forum for at least 5 years..I have a 2005 Dell and I definitely need to update it. We are almost at 550 days without update...I'm waiting till day 600 (55 days from now). If at that point there will be no Mac Pro update (the new Intel processors should be out by then, right?), I will go ahead and get another Dell..I know you couldn't care less lol but let's hope that we get it before Day 600.

    The only thing I don't get is why Apple has to be all mysterious about their products, if the Mac Pro is going to be discontinued we are just wasting time..at least they could bring down the price of the current models, I would get one of these today if they did. Sorry, I'm just upset here..
     
  2. smirking macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2003
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #2
    I'm sitting on my hands waiting for the MacPro refresh too. I'm the owner of a current Early 2008 8-Core MP.

    It's still serving me well, but every minute I can save on rendering and compiling is time I can spend doing something else.
     
  3. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

    jasonvp

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2007
    Location:
    Northern VA
    #3
    There's always going to be something better around the corner when it comes to computers. Understanding that is fairly important to your own sanity.

    You can sit on your hands and wait forever, and you'll accomplish the same thing that you're accomplishing now: nothing. Or you could go pick up a used or refurb'd 2010 Mac Pro for less than Apple is selling them new, upgrade the internals, and have a very, very quick Mac Pro. And you can do that right now vs. waiting another 2+ months for the update.

    Mac Pro 5,1s can be found on EBay with some patience. Depending on which model you end up with, the processor upgrades will either be very reasonable or insanely expensive. Either way, you won't have to keep waiting.

    jas
     
  4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

    ActionableMango

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2010
    #4
    Why is day 600 so important? If you need one now, get one. If you can wait, then wait.
     
  5. philipma1957 macrumors 603

    philipma1957

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Howell, New Jersey
    #5
    I have to say waiting until the 600th day is nice but if your math is correct the 600th day would be march 9th. Why not wait until April 15th ? If you are usa based you will know your tax return and what the refund will be and I have to think that the pro will have a decision by that date.
     
  6. iNeedAMacPro thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2012
    #6
    I said 600 because I think the Mac Pro has never been updated after so long? So, 600 days would be a decent number of days to take a decision regarding what to do, if I should find an alternative (Pc etc)..

    Everyone who says I should buy a refurb. and update it or just a get a Mac today is just denying that for Apple the Mac Pro doesn't have the importance it had years ago. I'm not going to buy an old machine and update it because it will still cost a lot and do you do that with cars? No.

    Anyway, we are all in the same situation here..waiting :)
     
  7. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

    jasonvp

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2007
    Location:
    Northern VA
    #7
    Are you part of Apple? How do you know it doesn't have the importance it (supposedly) had years ago? You do realize it's all about the chip updates from Intel, right? Blither and complain all you may like about it being 600 days since the last update, there's jack-all Apple can do about that.

    But, go ahead and keep waiting. I'll bet when the new Pros do materialize, you'll find something wrong with them and buy the Dell anyway.

    jas
     
  8. iNeedAMacPro thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2012
    #8
    Come on, I'm not trying to insult anyone..It's just my impression many other people here think the same (from what I've read). And no, I will buy a Mac Pro if it comes in the next 2 months, I have a MacBook Pro and like it so I prefer not using Pcs/Windows anymore..
     
  9. goMac macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2004
    #9
    What's wrong with the current Mac Pro exactly?

    It's as fast as anything Dell has out today. I mean, if you've been waiting this long, you've probably burned more time than it's worth.
     
  10. iNeedAMacPro thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2012
    #10
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1313002

    not sure everything on the current Mac Pros are up to date..but let's just wait. I just hoped that Apple would talk about it because they could clearly lose customers if nothings comes out in the next months.
     
  11. wafl iron macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2007
    #11
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

    i think its worth waiting for

    at least for pci 3 or sata 3 or thunderbolt

    maybe even usb3

    at least one of these will be in mp6
     
  12. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2009
    Location:
    Australia
    #12
    OP, keep in mind the new Xeons haven't been released yet.
     
  13. philipma1957 macrumors 603

    philipma1957

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Howell, New Jersey
    #13
    yeah you are right and the date has been pushed to q2 not q1.

    so april 1 is the early release day for the chip/cpu .

    I had a 2010 quad and turned it into a hex.

    I can wait for the new pro and then look into doing an nice mod. But my machine uses are not standard. I am using a mini quad and cpu wise it is fine. i paired it with some t-bolt for fast storage and all my needs are filled.
     
  14. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #14
    No it hasn't. Not sure where you've got that from. Otellini said they would launch in Q1 a few days ago.
     
  15. philipma1957 macrumors 603

    philipma1957

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Howell, New Jersey
    #15
    I guess both of us are correct as 2 rounds of 20 models are going to launch in Q1 and in Q2 ;

    http://www.techpowerup.com/tags.php?tag=Xeon
    Tuesday, January 3rd 2012

    Intel to Roll Out 40 New Server Processors in H1 2012
    With key enterprise architectures such as Sandy Bridge-EP awaiting launch, Intel has as many as 40 Xeon processor models to release in the first half of 2012, which it will likely launch in two rounds of 20 models, for each of the first two quarters of this year. In Q1, Intel will release six-core Xeon E5-1660 and E5-1650, and a yet to be named quad-core model; the three will be priced at US US$1,080, US$583 and US$294, respectively. In the same quarter, Intel will also launch 7 eight-core Xeon processor models, including the Xeon E5-2690four six-core processors including E5-2640, three quad-core processors including E5-2609 and dual-core processor E5-2637. Intel will also launch some low-power (energy-efficient) Xeon models, including Xeon E5-2450L and six-core E5-2430L priced at US$1,106 and US$662.

    In the second quarter of 2012, Intel will launch the other 20 models. These include Xeon processors based on the Ivy Bridge silicon, and in the socket H2 (LGA1155) package. The Xeon E3-1290v2 is an example of such a chip. These high-grade Ivy Bridge chips will be priced in the range of US$189-884. Then on, 7 more E5 series models will be launched, including Xeon E5-2470, priced between US$192-1,440. Towards the end of the quarter, Intel will launch low-power eight-core and six-core Xeon processor models, including Xeon E5-2650L and E5-2630L, priced at priced at US$1,106 and US$662, respectively.



    since we do not know which ones apple will pick and some launch in q1 the rest in q2 chances are we will both be correct.

    as for the op if he can wait 600 days he should be able to wait 650 or so.
     
  16. edoates macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 22, 2006
    #16
    Nothing in particular, but all the new Mac displays are going to be Thunderbolt unless that technology fails. There are real speed advantages to Thunderbolt HD raid arrays for video services, etc.

    And knowing that a new MacPro is right around the corner or never means that the current MacPros will soon be heavily discounted. They are currently selling for a premium price for nearly two year old machine.

    FTR, I'm still on an aging G5-Quad 2.5, so anything I get will be a big speed bump. Not to mention that I'll be able to run the latest software!
     
  17. thekev macrumors 604

    thekev

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2010
    #17
    It's really impossible to call. Intel's response to long refreshes is to drop component pricing to encourage sales. No one wants to pay the same amount for aging tech. It doesn't always translate to savings though. Apple doesn't really adjust pricing. The other oems are all over the place.

    It's a matter of what is included in the chipset used, but any of those things would be nice.
     
  18. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #18
     
  19. iNeedAMacPro thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2012
    #19
     
  20. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

    velocityg4

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2004
    Location:
    Georgia
    #20
    Besides the video card there has not been much of anything to upgrade in the Mac Pro (the Radeon 6000 series isn't much of an upgrade anyways). Intel's server chipsets don't support PCI-e 3.0, USB 3.0, SATA III or Thunderbolt. If you look on Newegg none of those LGA 1366 server boards support them either. Because these are professional grade components and will not get them until they are integrated by Intel so that they are 100% reliable.

    The consumer grade motherboards are not built with this level of reliability being a necessity. So they get third party controllers added in instead.

    The faster CPU's came in at an higher price than the 2.93 Ghz units. Plus they use a lot more energy and generate a lot more heat, 92W vs 130W to 139W. Requiring the cooling fans to really crank up or possibly liquid cooling. So Apple probably didn't want them because of that.

    So what was Apple supposed to add that wouldn't have simply added a higher priced top end model with a noisy cooling system? Really the only update they should have and could have done is a price drop as most of the components have dropped in value.

    When Intel releases the LGA 2011 Xeons we will likely see new Mac Pro's at that time with 8 core CPU, Radeon HD 7000, PCI-e 3.0, USB 3.0, SATA III, Quad Channel Memory and possibly Thunderbolt. Then they will likely stay that way until Intel releases a new chipset.

    Though as I understand it LGA 2011 doesn't support Thunderbolt so we'd only see this if Intel made a special chipset for Apple as they did with the Macbook, iMac and Mini.
     
  21. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    #21
    If you can (i.e., you can do what you must do with your current gear), waiting for the refresh of the Mac Pro line is a proper action.

    As mentioned in the previous posts, a few new pieces of technology (Thunderbolt, USB3.0, Sata III, etc) will be incorporated into the Mac Pro.
     
  22. loungecorps macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2010
    #22
    I've been looking at those HP Z800's, look nice and expansive...

    but the main reason I have been sticking to mac is being able to use windows and osx on the same machine.
     
  23. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #23
    Not to come across as an ass, but it is very unlikely Apple will use any of those processors coming in Q2. Neither the E3s or E5-2400s, or low voltage 2600s are suitable to replace what is currently in the Mac Pro, and I say this knowing exactly the specifications of the all the processors, chipsets and prices coming out.

    Now I can agree we may not see a Mac Pro until Q2. We don't know that there won't be problems rolling it out with a platform that is just shipping in volume or with the AMD graphics cards they will undoubtedly use which are also only just available.
     
  24. philipma1957 macrumors 603

    philipma1957

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Howell, New Jersey
    #24
    In my younger years I would write something I would regret, but honestly you may be completely correct. We will just have to wait and see.
     
  25. goMac macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2004
    #25
    There isn't a huge advantage to Thunderbolt on a Mac Pro. On towers there are other connectors that can provide equal speed advantages. Thunderbolt displays don't offer anything good for a Mac Pro either (more gigabit ethernet ports? Yeah, not really necessary.) The Mac Pro is the one machine that doesn't really need Thunderbolt....

    Unless the new Intel chipsets have built in support for USB 3.0, I wouldn't bet on that happening.
     

Share This Page