Waiting to buy new mac until Sierra?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dinotime85, Jun 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dinotime85 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2016
    #1
    Hi everyone, I'm new here--I actually only created this account to ask this question. But I've owned macbooks for the past 10+ years and am ready for an upgrade.

    Specifically, I am itching to replace my 6.5-year-old MacBook Pro, which I have loved, but it is just so slow at this point (thanks, upgrade to newer OS). I'm probably going to get the new macbook this time.

    What I'm wondering is if I should wait until macOS Sierra is available in September/October to buy a new mac? My current computer *really* slowed down when I upgraded to a newer OS. I'd like to avoid that happening again within a few months of getting a new machine. (I know there is a way you can unlock the computer--or something--and overwrite the old OS but I'm definitely not savvy enough to do that.) On the other hand, I'm about to start a graduate program in August and would really like to have gotten this switch done before then. Do people have advice? Is there any way around this dilemma?

    Thanks!
     
  2. tampageek macrumors 6502

    tampageek

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2015
    Location:
    Florida, USA
    #2
    If you don't need any of the features of the upgrade, roll your system back to the one it ran best on if you can. You might get a few more years out of it.
     
  3. hallux macrumors 68020

    hallux

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2012
    #3
    The slow-downs weren't because of the fact that you did an upgrade of the OS, not directly. The newer versions of OS X THRIVE on SSD's and will eat a spindle HDD for lunch. That's really why your Mac slowed down. You could replace your spindle drive with an SSD and get some more time out of your current unit, and you don't have to get the best SSD on the market when you do that as your SATA-II bus won't support enough throughput for the best units on the market.

    That said, you shouldn't have any concern jumping on a Mac now and upgrading the OS when Sierra is released. My MBP hasn't been clean-installed since I installed my SSD 3 years ago, I'm currently running El Capitan with no noticeable slow-downs.
     
  4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

    bigjnyc

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2008
    #4
    yes Apple will inevitably release new macbooks around September-October, possibly with new designs and updated processors. you should definitely wait... dont pay Apple full price for the 3 year old technology they are offering right now.
     

Share This Page